JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a good-looking set:

A bit over a hundo plus $76 for the tube (saw a few on ebay for under $20) makes the "conversion" more economical than I remember it being so it could be that my memory is off by a bit.

The 590 has a plastic trigger guard and safety, the 590A1 has heavy-walled barrels; metal trigger guard and safety buttons.
Normally I'd be 100% on board for the metal stuff vs plastic stuff... but from what I hear l the 590A1's metal trigger guard tends to be brittle and can break whereas the plastic guard is more forgiving.

I have a 500 and a 590 and can confirm the plastic trigger guards on both

If I wanted a gun similarly equipped and could promise myself not to run through ship hatches and bend my barrel (because I do that a lot, yeah), I'd just buy this for $399:

3DB1DF3D-B7D8-48BC-B505-624DC2EDF4C6.jpeg

Its a 500 and plenty tough. Lighter too.

If I wanted a gun similarly equipped and could promise myself not to run through ship hatches and bend my barrel (because I do that a lot, yeah), I'd just buy this for $399:

View attachment 637975

Its a 500 and plenty tough. Lighter too.
Hell yes. Now that price I could easily live with. After all who is going to shoot it enough to "wear out" a 500. That looks nice and the price looks real nice.

What is this one?

Its the Mossberg 500 Tactical 8-Shot. Runs $399 as pictured. Same action as a 590, but has a lighter barrel and the magazine tube threads/cap aren't as adaptable. But, if you wanted a tactical shotgun that wasn't going to double as a lug wrench, this ain't bad. Comes standard with heat shield. Like the 590, it has polymer safety switch and trigger guard.

I have a 590A1 or two and they are more front-heavy due to the heavier barrel.

Oh actually, there is a retrograde model of the 500 as well, not sure why i didn't see this earlier, sans the heat shield, but that's not hard or expensive to add on?
MSRP of $519 and street price of around $330-ish

It has a smaller mag than the 590, 5 instead of 8, no ghost rings and an 18.5" barrel instead of the 20" on the 590A1 and it's blued instead of parkerized.

1575520133414.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top