JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I'm looking to get an AR-15 within the next couple of months. I've talked to a couple of people and have got several different opinions. My question is, is there a really bad AR? I know there are lots of different parts and manufacturers that are better than others, but are there any that are just a waste of money?

I found this one for pretty cheap and was thinking I can buy it as a base and customize it and build it up from there, but at least it would be something to get me started. Is this a good plan, or would I be able to build a better one for the same price or less?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct347.aspx

Hey, I'm looking to get an AR-15 within the next couple of months. I've talked to a couple of people and have got several different opinions. My question is, is there a really bad AR? I know there are lots of different parts and manufacturers that are better than others, but are there any that are just a waste of money?

I found this one for pretty cheap and was thinking I can buy it as a base and customize it and build it up from there, but at least it would be something to get me started. Is this a good plan, or would I be able to build a better one for the same price or less?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct347.aspx

Olympic is typically one of the companies that everyone agrees is no good. However, I'm sure someone will be along here in a minute to tell me I'm an idiot and that Olympics are the greatest rifles ever produced.

It depends on what your after in the long run. If you are going to replace most of the parts, its best to buy the parts you want and build a rifle... Building these are SOOOO easy. You really only need a hammer, a punch, a barrel wrench some rubber strips a vicegrips, and a table/ workbench... everything else just makes it a little easyer...

If you want a stock A2 ar-15 this would be a good choice from what I can tell. Also look at CMMG for thier bargin bin rifles. Great value

***EDIT***

I just remembered my friend has an olympic rifle, Its ok, it was very expensive, and he thinks it is the greatest rifle ever! but I would just as soon have any other brand...

Oly's have been around a long time. Quality has gotten better, but the amount of money you would spend on "upgrades" over time would be the same as if you bought a intro Bushmaster, which is a good middle of the road AR. Try a Del-Ton it could be in your budget. A lot of people on this forum will just tell you to save your money and buy some $1300 rifle, but its your money not there's. If you want to have fun now, buy the Oly and learn how it works, so you can "tweak" it to make it more reliable.

Yes there are bad AR's.

Some companies have a bad reputation, and then there are the many makers and companies that have their parts made by someone else.

It can be very confusing, especially when one will say "I have X AR and it's the best" When come to find out they've not put a case of ammo thru it to see how its holding up.

Before spending several hundred dollars, take an couple hours to educate yourself:
This write up has a wealth of information: "So you want to buy an AR":
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

"The Chart" <broken link removed>
The chart shows the differences in the different maker's features. This is by no means a "must have" list, but at least you can make an educated decision to determine WHAT you should look for depending on HOW you will use the gun.

I think wichaka had a really nice chart on AR's from a previous most much akin to this one. Wichaka can you post that chart again realating to the quality and features. I think it provides some pretty good information regardless of who prepared the chart.

I just talked to a friend about olympic arms, he said he was having FTF issues and he personally drove to their shop to talk to them about the issue. He said one of the employees took the gun back to have it looked over and then took him out for lunch and said by the time they got back the gun would be finished, so they went and had a nice lunch and then was given a repaired gun and has not had problems since. Sounds like good customer service in my book.

I have never owed one but he swears by them...

I had two Olys and they worked really well. The trigger on one started going auto, so I sent it back and they fixed it no problem. I can't imagine any of the milspec parts being exponentially better than any others, but I don't build them and don't know the differences between bad, good, and great.

The next AR-15 I buy will be one that I build myself. That way it is exactly how I want it.

What is your price range? If you just want a weekend plinker I would consider one of the CMMG bargain bin rifles.

There is definitely going to be some Olympic bias on this forum as Olympic is a NW company. It's all good to support a local company but I don't think they have a nice enough rifle to command that price.

I wasn't and am not partial to Oly cause of NW ties. I bought it when I was in Hawaii. That Ultramatch can shoot 1 1/2" groups w/ cheap surplus ammo. Of course, maybe other brands of rifles can do the same, but I'm certainly happy with the way this one performs.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top