JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People who think 7.62x39 is expensive must be living under a rock all ammo has gone up. Last I checked nothing is cheap. If people spend the time to look around they can still get decent deals if they quit panic buying and over paying then the price will go down lol

People who think 7.62x39 is expensive must be living under a rock all ammo has gone up. Last I checked nothing is cheap. If people spend the time to look around they can still get decent deals if they quit panic buying and over paying then the price will go down lol
Im comparing it to .223/556

Standard ammo on the low end bought in bulk is hovering around 50 cents for both calibers, so a cost comparison isn't really relevant at the moment and hasn't really been in the last 5 years or so. If there is a lesson to be learned from these prices, it's stock up when it's cheap.

7.62x39 will never be .18 cents a round like it was a few years ago but as more foreign and domestic sources come online the prices will probably stabilize and even drop a bit. That being said, at this point it is still as economical as anything else that is sd worthy. If you want to cover all your bases, pick up an ak in 5.56x45.

I have a few thousand 5,45 stored up unintentionally before it basically dried up. My Galil is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I'm keeping it as there are still manufactures out there looking to make a buck here in the US and around the world. Palmetto State Armory claimed some time ago they were going to manufacture it. All I hear is crickets. It may come out in brass cases in the future just like 7.62. I'll have to wait and see over the next few years.

Re steel cased ammo.
Remind me (us) whats the old controversy with shooting steel cases? Is it they will supposedly wear out the chamber faster?

Simple face even if ammo was cheaper you will always have that crowd that hates ak's but every one is entitled to there own opinion on it.
It's not a matter of it being cheap for some it's a tool and what it's overall end result you get.

Ive been noticing that too.

I see three possible reasons:
1)Ukraine has gone through most of their stockpile of combock reserves
2)They are trying to switch over to more western arms because its easier logistically. (This is backed up by the fact that the west uses 5.56 and thats most of the aid, the Czechs are building them a factory to produce Bren 2's in country) As a fighting gun I see virtually no difference between AKs, ARs, Brens, Scar16s exc.
3)Soldiers being soldiers, they want the latest and greatest gear

I hope its not the 1st reason for the sake of this topic but its hard to know.
Trying to switch over because thats what they are getting for free. They can't afford to buy anything.

I started out shooting 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 because it was so inexpensive to shoot a rifle round. This made training doable especially for my RPK. However in recent times I've contemplated selling the rest of the AK collection (keep a couple but mainly just use them on occasion, think of it as getting the old 30-30 out) and ammo to just focus on 556. (This isn't a debate about effectiveness but more so just a debate about a functional round).

Obviously 5.45 is a boutique round and I'm starting to see the same for 7.62 x39.

I'm curious everyone's thoughts. Is x39 dead when it comes to training? I know we will always be able to get it but is x39 is more expensive than .223/5.56 what's the point for a practical training round?

Edit: I should have specified. For me its basically a rifle round in a semiautomatic platform that is self defense, duty, go to war, teotwawki, verbage of your choice capable. Not a fan of .22LR or 9mm in a rifle sized gun (PCC/PDW/subgun is different story) as you do not get the practicality and range of a rifle round. (Think 0-300m fight distances)

7.62x39 dead as a training round

Traing for what what and how?

1709337954479.png

The difference between an AK and AR in combat is when you want to mount an optic which is pretty much standard use now. The AK falls behind greatly in the optic options.
I wouldn't agree with you on that as all my AKs have some sort of optic mounted on them. Many soldiers have a red dot/scope, light and NV laser on their AKs. In today's world you only see terrorists types running irons. The AR is definitely a more modular and ergonomic fighting rifle tho.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top