JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I started out shooting 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 because it was so inexpensive to shoot a rifle round. This made training doable especially for my RPK. However in recent times I've contemplated selling the rest of the AK collection (keep a couple but mainly just use them on occasion, think of it as getting the old 30-30 out) and ammo to just focus on 556. (This isn't a debate about effectiveness but more so just a debate about a functional round).

Obviously 5.45 is a boutique round and I'm starting to see the same for 7.62 x39.

I'm curious everyone's thoughts. Is x39 dead when it comes to training? I know we will always be able to get it but is x39 is more expensive than .223/5.56 what's the point for a practical training round?

Edit: I should have specified. For me its basically a rifle round in a semiautomatic platform that is self defense, duty, go to war, teotwawki, verbage of your choice capable. Not a fan of .22LR or 9mm in a rifle sized gun (PCC/PDW/subgun is different story) as you do not get the practicality and range of a rifle round. (Think 0-300m fight distances)

Last Edited:
I read "training" but I heard "mag dumping" which is frankly what I see most people with semi automatic rifles doing with them anyway.

I wouldn't buy into those cartridges at this point however if I already owned rifles that chambered them, I wouldn't necessarily sell out of it. At least, not for the cost of ammo being the primary reason

Not for those who stocked away an ammo stash when prices and availability were much better. I remember the first case of X39 I bought with a SKS back around 1990. Glad to have what I still do, but wish I would have bought more back then.

I read "training" but I heard "mag dumping" which is frankly what I see most people with semi automatic rifles doing with them anyway.

I wouldn't buy into those cartridges at this point however if I already owned rifles that chambered them, I wouldn't necessarily sell out of it. At least, not for the cost of ammo being the primary reason
I should have specified. For me its basically a rifle round in a semiautomatic platform that is self defense, duty, go to war, teotwawki, verbage of your choice capable. Not a fan of .22LR or 9mm in a rifle sized gun (PCC/PDW/subgun is different story) as you do not get the practicality and range of a rifle round. (Think 0-300m fight distances)

I had an SKS and a nice stash of ammo, then sold it all. That was around 2010-12. At that time the ammo was plentiful and fairly inexpensive. These days I don't see it being as comparatively inexpensive as it was back then.
5.56 and .308 seen to be the best way to go.

You could have dipped into the bag a few more times.

Seriously though. It's a good question. What is training anymore? Dry fire really does seem to be the new horizon, especially if it's enhanced with some of the new laser feedback devices out there. No drive to the range, no real restriction on what hours of the day either. If set up correctly, it's exponentially safer. With enough of the same style rifle, it might make sense to set something up solely for the dry fire role. Something similar too ,but not as complicated as, the simunition guns used in force on force.
It's a good topic. But I still believe in hosing down the berm occasionally.
I might even do it with my precious .303 ammo. Achieving the mad minute isn't my goal, but I can dream.

I just feel I should maintain at least 1,000 rnd. minimum for everything I shoot. ;)

That is except Black Powder. I don't want to put my house in any danger. :s0001:

As far as maintaining proficency, I have a motorized range for the pellet and AirSoft guns in the garage. :cool:

You could have dipped into the bag a few more times.

Seriously though. It's a good question. What is training anymore? Dry fire really does seem to be the new horizon, especially if it's enhanced with some of the new laser feedback devices out there. No drive to the range, no real restriction on what hours of the day either. If set up correctly, it's exponentially safer. With enough of the same style rifle, it might make sense to set something up solely for the dry fire role. Something similar too ,but not as complicated as, the simunition guns used in force on force.
It's a good topic. But I still believe in hosing down the berm occasionally.
I might even do it with my precious .303 ammo. Achieving the mad minute isn't my goal, but I can dream.
Its the recoil control and feedback back 100m. Dryfire will get you 80% there

A short story from about 7 years ago.

The first version of Nak-9 pistols comes out. I convince myself that once the glock mag version arrives, it's a must have item . 9mm is cheap AND easy to reload, unlike steel cased 7.62x39. At the time both rounds are $200 a case all day ,everywhere. The conversion is available pretty quick, but I realize that I don't like the magazine interface. More and better 9mm ak type pistols become available, but I never actually buy one.
Completely separate from this progression, 9mm almost completely disappeared overnight. One day it was .20cpr , the next it was worse than the rimfire famine. I can almost guarantee that the AR crowd had tons of 9mm braced pistol builds that all of a sudden had no real reason to exist. The cheapest centerfire pistol round was all of a sudden just as expensive as shooting .223/5.56.
What is the point ? Things change. Things get bad fast. It would be great to see it coming, but that's not usually how it goes.
I'm glad I didn't buy a 9mm AK , it was always a dumb toy. Maybe I should convert my worst IO or psa rifle to some type of training rig

I'm curious everyone's thoughts. Is x39 dead when it comes to training? I know we will always be able to get it but is x39 is more expensive than .223/5.56 what's the point for a practical training round?
Don't think x39 will ever be dead in terms of training or anything else for that matter.

With current prices only having an average variance of about .02 between 7.62 and 223 I guess I'm not seeing a reason to make the switch to solely 223.

But hey, if you do end up selling off your AK collection due to it being an obsolete training weapon, i would suggest selling it super cheap. Specifically to me...

Don't think x39 will ever be dead in terms of training or anything else for that matter.

With current prices only having an average variance of about .02 between 7.62 and 223 I guess I'm not seeing a reason to make the switch to solely 223.

But hey, if you do end up selling off your AK collection due to it being an obsolete training weapon, i would suggest selling it super cheap. Specifically to me...
I dont think the platform is obsolete. I just dont see it getting cheaper than 556. Maybe if Ukraine sells off their stockpile after the war (assuming they win) that would change things.

But i am considering parting out/ trading the stockpile and most of my AKs

You can afford 556 but not 762?
Prices have gone up in all ammo equally I dont see how that kills a round for training?

I dont think the platform is obsolete. I just dont see it getting cheaper than 556. Maybe if Ukraine sells off their stockpile after the war (assuming they win) that would change things.

But i am considering parting out/ trading the stockpile and most of my AKs
Firearm prices, ammo prices, etc... will always ebb and flow. Personally, would never cause me to remove something completely.

You can afford 556 but not 762?
Prices have gone up in all ammo equally I dont see how that kills a round for training?
Ive just been seeing it cheaper of late (looking at it just today appears not not so much).
We aren't getting more sources that are importing/ producing it. PSA had theirs listed as a placeholder for $0.45 pr

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top