JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
AK-47 is the name of the original model. The -1 had a stamped receiver with QC issues, the -2 had a milled receiver which was much more reliable but weighed and cost a lot. The most common version with a stamped, riveted receiver (what most of us think of when we hear AK-47), was the AKM (Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy). It was much more efficient to produce and was officially approved in 1959:

EDIT: Got some of the history wrong.

Last Edited:
08022015 050.jpg
Saiga 308

Never have owned one. Not sure why.

I do however get irritated when someone spots my 33K and says "nice AK". Just because its stamped, doesn't automatically make it a commie gun.

20210519_181440.jpg

"I do however get irritated when someone spots my 33K and says "nice AK"

This reminds me of the time my neighbor was showing his real Austin Mini Cooper (not a BMW) to a visitor in his shop and the guy said "Wow! an old Austin Healy!"

Kinda like this:
1621778290443.png
A real Mini Cooper

Austin Healy:
1621778374532.png

Then there's the Valmet and Galil equation… :D

A3F7362E-C65E-42B8-B5C0-BFB59712DD62.jpeg o

Never have owned one. Not sure why.

I do however get irritated when someone spots my 33K and says "nice AK". Just because its stamped, doesn't automatically make it a commie gun.

View attachment 890403
Thats just proof that the majority of living people are morons…. those who are deceased and dead morons.

;)

"I do however get irritated when someone spots my 33K and says "nice AK"

This reminds me of the time my neighbor was showing his real Austin Mini Cooper (not a BMW) to a visitor in his shop and the guy said "Wow! an old Austin Healy!"

Kinda like this:
View attachment 890404
A real Mini Cooper

Austin Healy:
View attachment 890405
Your neighbor must be Mr. Bean… :s0108:

4A3B4EE5-2053-4BBF-8886-C2B4A2EA077A.jpeg

Last Edited:
All of them that are not the original are considered AKM... however, most of us say 47 or 74 just to use as an identifier to make it easier for understanding the caliber
When I want to get "technical", I use "Kalashnikov pattern rifle". Otherwise I typically just use "AK" and just drop the "47" or "74" as unnecessary - most people know what I mean. Sometimes I will mention Galil or Valmet to differentiate those rifles, but otherwise there are so many different rifles that I don't bother.

Admittedly I am not a rifle guy, so I've learned a lot following this thread (seriously).

(Less seriously)

I have hope that maybe I could figure out an AK.

chimp with AK.jpg

So, I found one for sale with some aftermarket mods. It is pretty cool. Seriously thinking about dropping coin on this as my first AK.

3fc.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads