JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The gun community did this to themselves…. The pistol brace was intended for people who had a disability or needed assistance in handling the firearm. But…. All the hard charging patriots came out and started utilizing the braces as stocks (not their intended use) to skirt around the NFA and a tax stamp. It was only a matter of time. Now you are dealing with the consequences. Not that I agree but it is what it is.
Id argue that the use as stocks was indeed their intended use and the "handicap" aspect was just a cutesy way of evading the NFA all along..

Id argue that the use as stocks was indeed their intended use and the "handicap" aspect was just a cutesy way of evading the NFA all along..
That could be as well. All I know is it was a matter of time until they came after them.

You might realize that "pistol braces" are more of a low hanging fruit than SBRs.

Once they put the axe down on braces, I'll still be able to take my SBR out to the range. Those that now have illegal SBRs will put them away for good (IE bumpstocks), disassemble them, sell them before the law is passed, and or SBR them. .
Pistols were around before the braces. Granted the braces made them more appealing to many including myself. I was late to the game in 2015/16. But, the braces also gained in popularity once the ATF said the braces didn't change a pistol into something else. Shouldering it for an undetermined amount of time was not illegal. They flipped flopped on the braces now they threaten to recommend it's users be felons. That doesn't change the use of AR pistols. Just makes it less convenient.

Just have both. Have a couple lowers built as pistols with braces, and 1 sbr AR lower. Only a few of my stuff is SBRed simply because of aesthetics and function (Bren, Uzi, mp5). Might as well do one now since Form 1 wait times ~21 - 28 days.

Pistols were around before the braces. Granted the braces made them more appealing to many including myself. I was late to the game in 2015/16. But, the braces also gained in popularity once the ATF said the braces didn't change a pistol into something else. Shouldering it for an undetermined amount of time was not illegal. They flipped flopped on the braces now they threaten to recommend it's users be felons. That doesn't change the use of AR pistols. Just makes it less convenient.
True, if the braces get the axe, AR pistols might just go back to a featureless buffer tube and that's that. Unless they include something somewhere stating it's still a rifle somehow. Hard to say. That's why I said folks that own pistols with braces will, as an option, disassemble them.

True, if the braces get the axe, AR pistols might just go back to a featureless buffer tube and that's that. Unless they include something somewhere stating it's still a rifle somehow. Hard to say. That's why I said folks that own pistols with braces will, as an option, disassemble them.
Theres a whole points spreadsheet that they are proposing. Not sure just taking the brace off will do it.

Others can do anything they wish and LOL all they want. When you see all the ads for "fuel filters" that are of course sold to use as suppressors a lot of LOL'ing going on there. Not me. All this laughing suddenly comes to an end when one of them is in front of some black robe. Suddenly its not funny at all any more. So you are welcome to poke the bear, I choose not too. :s0092:
So you allow fascism to win because of your fear?

So you allow fascism to win because of your fear?
This was my point all along. There are far too many whiney turds in here who probably would hand over their weapons to the crown if they were illegal all of a sudden. Pansies. It really is true that humans don't learn from their mistakes of previous generations. Idiots lol

I chose to follow the NFA laws. I think they are stupid. Me thinking they are stupid does not make me stupid enough to ignore them and build NFA stuff with no stamp. You and anyone who feels differently are welcome to ignore the laws and laugh about it all day. :s0092:
You are absolutely missing the point, do you want to live in a society that turns to fascism?
Let's say guns have nothing to do with anything here and we're slowly turning into a fascist state like in Germany and Italy in the past, would you want to live in that type of society and if not would you be willing to fight to keep it from happening regardless of whether they take the stupid braces?

I hope my tin foil hat isn't on to tight, but I really have no desire to ask permission for a sbr. Living in a free state, the g-men know I have guns, but they don't know what I have or how many. I am free to buy, sell or trade, heck, I can even have that popular boating accident, and the g-men are none the wiser. Tac commented on a thread here a while back, about when they came for the guns, that they were already registered, they knew who had what and how many. And yes, I realize we are not Britain, but this country is changing, and in my opinion, not in a good way. I've noticed the shtf threads are pretty popular here, I wonder what a 300BO braced pistol, with six 30round mags, will be worth when the shtf. I'm guessing anything over 10 round mags will be illegal soon, are you going to destroy yours? What's next, the shockwave? And who needs a ruger 454 Alaskan, talk about a ghetto blaster, they'll keep nibbling away, and each time they take a bite, someone will yell out, will not comply.

To me personally... i stick with the brace on my 80% build AK til they are so outlawed that I cant go enjoy it anymore. Then I'll consider the SBR. Im not building a 80% firearm just to register it with the feds lol thats just crazy in nowadays climate.

You are absolutely missing the point, do you want to live in a society that turns to fascism?
Let's say guns have nothing to do with anything here and we're slowly turning into a fascist state like in Germany and Italy in the past, would you want to live in that type of society and if not would you be willing to fight to keep it from happening regardless of whether they take the stupid braces?
Dude you are welcome to show the world you will not tolerate it. Who cares that I choose to follow the laws, even when I think they are dumb and unconstitutional. Build you some NFA stuff and don't buy a stamp. Better yet go on line and show pictures of it. Maybe put a sign in the yard telling them that laws do not work for you and you are not going to be like me and wimp out. Make it known you will fight them. You still have the freedom to chose to do what you wish to do. Outcome may not be something you like after but hey, you showed me. :s0092:

Dude you are welcome to show the world you will not tolerate it. Who cares that I choose to follow the laws, even when I think they are dumb and unconstitutional. Build you some NFA stuff and don't buy a stamp. Better yet go on line and show pictures of it. Maybe put a sign in the yard telling them that laws do not work for you and you are not going to be like me and wimp out. Make it known you will fight them. You still have the freedom to chose to do what you wish to do. Outcome may not be something you like after but hey, you showed me. :s0092:
You still don't understand, I don't have any braces nor am I going to buy any braces nor my going to SBR anything I don't give a crap. And no I am not going to break the law either. It is about the direction of this country.

If one is being honest with oneself, and not reading too much on the internet.

You might realize that "pistol braces" are more of a low hanging fruit than SBRs.

Once they put the axe down on braces, I'll still be able to take my SBR out to the range. Those that now have illegal SBRs will put them away for good (IE bumpstocks), disassemble them, sell them before the law is passed, and or SBR them.
Or just remove the brace on an AR Pistol and we can too. It appears they're getting restrictive on collapsible braces and those w/o the elastic strap.

A suppressor has practical applications. I see none for an SBR other than snarky bragging like here by a few, vs. a pistol (with or w/o brace) and a 16"+ barrel. I prefer 18" anyway.

I'm an optimist, believing that high capacity semi-auto rifles and handguns will be ruled lawful by the conservative majority SCOTUS before mass confiscation comes down the pike.

Maybe even see the NFA repealed, since the whole SBR thing is a legal farce.
The OP's question was is 1" extra barrel worth registering an SBR. I say no.

Last Edited:
I'm a type 7 FFL. The folks that I have talked with at the ATF that I know, have indicated it was the advertising and video's posted by some manufacturers that caused this latest fiasco. The ATF clarified some time ago that someone shouldering a brace wasn't going to face legal problems. Some manufacturers started posting video's of their braces being shouldered, pretty much demonstrating how easy they were to use that way. That appears to have raised some eyebrows at the powers that be. I have no way of knowing if that is completely true, but it certainly makes sense.

Prior to having my manufacturers FFL and SOT 2, I built some SBR's. I like them and feel they serve the purposes for which I wanted them. They aren't for everyone, and the $200 tax stamp is no doubt a barrier for some. With a SOT 2 I can build a SBR and quite a few other things, file a form 2 and use them without any wait. The $500 annual fee is well worth it to me as I enjoy such things.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top