JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I put together a 10.5" pistol from PSA parts just before the 2016 election, just for a time reference. I've been happy with it. First gun I painted but I also am a believer that the 5.56 needs 11.5 inches to be totally effective. Now that the availability and prices are more realistic I picked up an 11.5 PSA upper. I can go either way of using my current pistol lower or converting one of my rifles to an SBR lower. The current laws and convenience of crossing state lines with a pistol to shoot at English Pit or carrying it while traveling is a bonus for pistols. The Pending gun laws but current short time for E Form 1 approval makes an 11.5" SBR appealing.

Historically, outside of a few videos from California, inviting the NFA/ATF into your life hasn't seemed to be a big problem. But also, once you have an NFA item it seems you are more or less stuck with it for life. I have no children or family to pass it on to (I have both but, California). Looking for input if a few inches is worth the hassle and legalities. But I think I would enjoy skipping the hassles of AR pistols and jumping through those hoops as well.

In my opinion, it is worth it. It's also a bunch of internet hoopla and fear mongering that creates these threads in the first place.

What @Reno said. Going the SBR route is easy-peasy and you can build what you want once the stamp is issued. And there is, indeed, a bunch of Internut BS floating around concerning anything NFA, but it can be dispelled.

There was a time folks went with the NFA stuff because it was great fun. Still is fun but a pita until you get your papers. I don't regret my purchases and its worth while that once I got the papers I never heard from them again. Gives you peace of mine the jack boot thugs ain't comming to your door for your gun, its legal.

SBR it! Worth it. And it's super fast turn around time. All of which can be done from the comfort of your own home. I did a 11.5 SBR at the tail end of last year for my first time. No regrets on my end.

Of course only you can decide but, remember its your money. :D
First cost. Sure stamp is a few bucks. Have you ever shot one? Many seem to think they would not want one as they do not care. So of course as with all things gun, if you can try one out great. Do you really like it after?
If so by all means.
Sure it is some hassle to sell if you one day decide you not longer want it but, again if you think its fun? who cares. As for being on some "list", I'm sorry to the tin foil hat people but this is just over the top. Now days unless you live without net, pay cash for everything and such? Your records are in the data base. Will they one day decide to take the NFA stuff away from us? If things keep going like they are, yes. In the meantime again, your money, if you find it fun? Why not. Life is short, enjoy it. If voters do not wake up and one day they tell you that you can't have it any more? Well it was fun while it lasted and it's not like you are out huge sums of cash here. My vote? Try one, if you love it buy at least one. They can be addicting though :D:D:D

Added benefit........ All of us SBR guys gather in a huddle at the range, look your way, and snicker "brace".

Don't be that "brace" guy.

-E-

a few weeks ago i was going to " just do it" and get a suppressor. after talking to the salesman, it appears i would be required to have an address, I am seriously thinking about just living in my travel trailer seeing the OL U.S.A, then storing it, and going overseas for extended periods of time. without a home address. I dont have relatives with gun safes, so I dont see a way to own NFA stuff, am i mistaken?

a few weeks ago i was going to " just do it" and get a suppressor. after talking to the salesman, it appears i would be required to have an address, I am seriously thinking about just living in my travel trailer seeing the OL U.S.A, then storing it, and going overseas for extended periods of time. without a home address. I dont have relatives with gun safes, so I dont see a way to own NFA stuff, am i mistaken?
SBR it. Just do one a month and you always have something to look forward to.

You just need an address to start the SBR process. After that you'll need to file 5320.20's for every state you plan on visiting. Once a year sort of thing.

As far as being on a list .... I'm on every freakin' list there is. You get used to it.

Last Edited:
The SBR thing is not just a tin foil hat thing. The actual legalities for an oops, my bad, should be taken seriously. For instance I live in Oregon but do shoot fairly often in Washington. But as @wired says, there is a form and probably a fee for everything.

The SBR thing is not just a tin foil hat thing. The actual legalities for an oops, my bad, should be taken seriously. For instance I live in Oregon but do shoot fairly often in Washington. But as @wired says, there is a form and probably a fee for everything.
Not sure if you mean what I said but, when I say tinfoil hat I am talking about people afraid to buy one because they will be on a "list". As if the people they fear have no clue who they are until they buy some NFA item. Now if you are talking about people who do this illegally? Yes that is beyond stupid but, hey adults are free to be stupid.
As I keep telling the tin foil hat crowd who worry about things like the back ground checks or smart phones. There are too many millions of us to keep track of. An amazing number of metal hat folks seem to think some workers somewhere think they are so important they get paid to keep track of them. :cool:
Unless they are some kind of criminal no one cares where they are going or what they are doing. I guess it makes some feel more important? I just laugh it off.

My bigger concerns are the legalities and travel. If you have a carry permit, adopted a child, certain jobs, been in the military (had security clearances), ect, you are already on record. I agree. Those that already posses NFA items are in the know. Those of us that don't have questions.

My bigger concerns are the legalities and travel. If you have a carry permit, adopted a child, certain jobs, been in the military (had security clearances), ect, you are already on record. I agree. Those that already posses NFA items are in the know. Those of us that don't have questions.
There are a lot of things to know if someone wants NFA stuff. Anyone who can figure out how to get on line can easily find all the answers they need. As with ANY legal advice they should be careful to NOT just blindly take advice from people they do not know. Any NFA dealer is a great place to start. Over couple decades I have seen some amazing things claimed on groups about the law and guns. None more over the top than some of the "advice" about NFA stuff. Again the info is easily found. Often people do not like what they hear so they search for someone to tell them what they want to hear. :s0092: This works great until they get in trouble. I always tell people no black robe is going to care what you "read on line".

THIS^^^ is why I do not do it. I am too peripatetic for the NFA. If one finally goes off-grid, then what happens?

No fee. Just a once a year email it in 5320.20. Couldnt be easier.

THIS^^^ is why I do not do it. I am too peripatetic for the NFA. If one finally goes off-grid, then what happens?
Nothing. No one checks on anything you do with your NFA whatever. The only time a 5320.20 for interstate movement would ever come into play is if you committed a crime with one and they wanted to stack charges . Ive never heard of anyone getting into trouble for not filing a 5320.20 when transporting from state to state. You MIGHT get someone asking for your paperwork at a range but the most they would ever ask for is a form 1 or 4.

Why not just use an "Arm Brace?" It's the same thing essentially and absolutely no hassle. " Arm braces" have come a long way and give you the same results for less money. Not a fan of the government, especially a brown shirt new ATF director. Less is more when it comes to government.

Why not just use an "Arm Brace?" It's the same thing essentially and absolutely no hassle. " Arm braces" have come a long way and give you the same results for less money. Not a fan of the government, especially a brown shirt new ATF director. Less is more when it comes to government.
The days of the arm brace are coming to an end soon. Very soon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top