JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All Right....
ENOUGH
Stop with the tit for tat...back and forth...and inflammatory remarks that only serve to piss people off.
Stay on topic and answer the OP's question.

Ignoring is a excellent option for one to use when one comes across those who in the words of Strother Martin :
" What we got here is failure to communicate ...Some men , you just can't reach".

Andy

I live close enough to downtown it's easy to get there anytime. I try not to go there even in the best of times and the very rare times when I do I always am all tensed up after fighting the traffic, non-existent parking and often rude people you run into.

It used to be a place I could take my kiddo no problem but now you have to fight the crack smokers, beggars, human feces and urine, and deal with people fight-fight-fighting to get a parking space or get through traffic. Businesses in old town have been complaining they can't get their mail due to human feces in their mail slots (not joking). And that would be describing the non-riot time. But with the riots etc now, no way in hades u could get me to go there. For me it's not about safety at all, it's about why the he$* would anyone want to go there.
5CCDDE01-E7BC-40F8-BE2E-28B209C0A8BC.jpeg

Last Edited:
Guess it should also be noted that some parts of downtown are worse than others. For example the area around Union Station is a legit zombie land where junkies outnumber non-junkies probably 10 to 1... whereas around Pioneer Square it might be more like 1 to 1.

Not sure why you quoted me...
As I was answering the OP's question of :
"Is it safe to to travel to downtown Portland and walk around now? "
Which is his question and not mine.

With that said...

While I do not like ANTIFA , the mayor of Portland or many of the city's polices....
Portland is still part of America....
To write of a city , because of a dislike of what goes on there as no longer being America , is to grant victory to very things that one dislikes.

America is filled with many things that I like and agree with...
Lots of America however , is made of things that I disagree with or dislike...
Its still all of America.
Its easy to say something is a "bubblegumhole"...
The difficult work is the work to make it a better place....difficult for sure , but worthwhile.
Andy
You're wrong...the mayor, city council, papers, radio stations tv stations are all anti American. There may be good people in that city but they do nothing to eliminate antifa, a domestic terror group. If you don't fight them you're enabling them. My opinion. I'm imploring people to not spend money there. Go elsewhere.

You're wrong...the mayor, city council, papers, radio stations tv stations are all anti American. There may be good people in that city but they do nothing to eliminate antifa, a domestic terror group. If you don't fight them you're enabling them. My opinion. I'm imploring people to not spend money there. Go elsewhere.
Do Not Quote Me again.....
#1 You did not answer my question of why you quoted me in the first place...
#2 Your comments and attitude are not worth my time responding to any longer.
Andy

Do Not Quote Me again.....
#1 You did not answer my question of why you quoted me in the first place...
#2 Your comments and attitude are not worth my time responding to any longer.
Andy
#1I don't know why I quoted you....except for context.
#2 Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I can't comment, unless you dictate what is right and what is wrong. Then send me my money back I paid as I thought people were able to express themselves here. I answered the question with examples of why its not good to go downtown. Sorry I don't meet your high standards of worthwhile responses.

I can't watch that without feeling sick.:( What pigs these people are. And, decent people that stand there while those around them destroy a once beautiful city are pigs too.

Nah...
Right now....
I figure a lot of them are there......
To participate in the neighborhood bonding, taking pictures with their cell phone and should a shopping opportunity arise? "I'm there." Yeah.....why not? Everybody is doing it and besides, the cops and store owners appear to condone it.

Rrrrright....... cause no one is shooting.

The news says it's all TRUMP's FAULT......and yeah.....it is. It's always TRUMP's fault.....no matter what. BTW, what was the name of the guy I'm suppose to be here for? Oh well....."BLM, No justice, No Peace, Disband the Police". They are all noble causes. And years later, I'll be proud to tell my kids (and perhaps grandkids) that I took to the streets to fight injustice in Portlandia. Power to the People.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I love that all the people complaining on this thread live outside of portland.

Saber-rattling and mad about their taxes being used and the poor cops in a city that isn't even yours. Feels like I'm reading an ad for Chatty Cathy dolls.

If you believe in minding your own business and you don't live here, then mind your own business.

Saber-rattling and mad about their taxes being used and the poor cops in a city that isn't even yours. Feels like I'm reading an ad for Chatty Cathy dolls.

If you believe in minding your own business and you don't live here, then mind your own business.
So does, "Downtown" trump Inner SE?
I mean... The Pearl may be nice - but you been out here in Felony Flats lately?
Foster is a war zone for the last week every night the out-of-towners parade down to riot. Lots of out of state car campers here, too.

So does, "Downtown" trump Inner SE?
I mean... The Pearl may be nice - but you been out here in Felony Flats lately?
Foster is a war zone for the last week every night the out-of-towners parade down to riot. Lots of out of state car campers here, too.
Hes angry because people are insulting his beloved haven of degeneracy.

While technically only a resident of Portland for about a year back in the mid 80's, I've lived in the area since 74 and for most of my working years I have been employed in the city of Portland.
Portland is not the cool little city it used to be. Back in the 70's and 80's there were few bums on the streets, but nothing like the homeless population explosion we see today. It also is not as safe as it used to be, mostly due to the increased population of "street people". I feel safe enough downtown, but I only go there when I absolutely have to. There's nothing there for me.

I know what you're feeling. I wouldn't put people that don't live near potland down for cutting the city though. And if you live in the NW part of Oregon, or still come here from elsewhere in the state, you can get a good feeling of what a hole potland has turned into. Members that live many states away trashing potland IS a little weird though. o_O (Maybe they don't have their OWN cities that turned to crap to bag on?)

Living IN potland, every day. Driving IN potland every day. Shopping for groceries, every week, IN potland and close vicinity, gives you a perspective that people outside of the area can't comprehend. I don't believe the city is really much, if any, more dangerous than it was 30 years ago. There were some pretty funky neighborhoods back then where you wouldn't want to get a flat tire at 3:00am. It's the attitudes of the people in potland that have changed. Everyone seems so wrapped up in themselves. What ever "I" want to do is "okay".

Maybe I'm odd but I wouldn't consider walking in any large city an enjoyable event. Way to many other choices that'd I'd enjoy more.
I'm with you on this.
When I first moved here w the wife and kids (her idea.. I've been trying to get out ever since) we did the "thing": rode the train, went to the zoo, the Christmas tree lighting, Pioneer Square, food carts (best cheese steaks), pretty much all of it.
I tried to like it. Have an open mind. Appreciate the historic buildings, cool old houses, funky businesses, bars, etc. And while I do have an appreciation for that stuff, there's just nothing interesting about it anymore.
The same goes for my birthplace of St Louis... a great city with lots to see and offer but has been allowed to deteriorate through bad policy, mismanagement, and utter neglect.
I think it's pretty safe to walk around P-land during the day if that's what you want to do. Unfortunately though, I think the old saw, "It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" is only half right anymore. I don't want to live here (that's in the works) AND it's not so nice of a place to visit, either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top