JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Definitely addictive for me. I reload 9, 38/357, 44, 45, 308 & 30.06. Only regret is that the only place I have to reload is a detached garage that isn't heated.

The only thing that I do is take the most boring, repetitive part (for me) which is trimming and do it in smaller batches. Also an adjustable height chair is a great help.

Thank you for all the sound advice. I will be starting up soon. The biggest reason I haven't started anything yet is because I haven't had an area set up to work but I do now. I am going to start on a single stage RCBS that I have so I can take it slow and methodical.

Not sure if reloading being part of me is an addiction or not. I started making better ammo than factory for a Ruger blackhawk in 45LC in about 1980. The cost was a factor as well, I could shoot a Weatherby 7 Mag for about the same cost as a 30.06 once I had cases. Later on came the making ammo that wasn't made by factories like 30 and 357 Herrett. Now days it's nice to be able to keep shooting even with there being an ammo/component shortage

How about using fired 22 LR cases for 5.56 bullet making?

.224 bullet jacket forming from rimfires for $20 - YouTube

Those only work to a certain fps, then they just become several pieces of brass flying through the air :cool: They don't work in anything like, say, a 22-250, even loaded down as far as I could go with the powder I had. I didn't reload .223 then, but there is a guy on here that was making those bullets and sent me some. Forgot who it was though

I think I like reloading more than shooting. But be warned, it can become addictive. I always try to buy more and more stuff. It's never enough!

Certain personality types should head this 'warning' :)

I've been reloading for about a year, and do so for seven calibers, but 95% is for the .308.

For the .308 I have 50lbs of powder, 6K primers, and a single stage press.

Anyone wanna work the psychology out on that one!

Certain personality types should head this 'warning' :)

I've been reloading for about a year, and do so for seven calibers, but 95% is for the .308.

For the .308 I have 50lbs of powder, 6K primers, and a single stage press.

Anyone wanna work the psychology out on that one!

"Psychology" no, I wanna know how you found 50lbs of powder in the last year? Or does .308 use a powder that is not so popular, like .223 and handgun powders?

"Psychology" no, I wanna know how you found 50lbs of powder in the last year? Or does .308 use a powder that is not so popular, like .223 and handgun powders?

Mike

.308 works with a wide range of powders - I've got 14 different types, but have settled on Norma 202, RL15, and IMR4064. As for the source, 1/3 from retail establishments, 1/3 from Powder Valley, and a third from the classified section

Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply in Milwaukie has tons of powder and primers of all types sitting on the shelves. You're welcome.

Yeah, I was in there a few months ago and they had powder when NO ONE else did. Most of it was rifle and I wasn't out so I wasn't going to pay $30.00 per pound for a marginal handgun powder. I 'spose I should go down there again. If they had a good solid handgun powder for a little more it could be the same as Powder Valley with the hazmat for a jug.

Those only work to a certain fps, then they just become several pieces of brass flying through the air :cool: They don't work in anything like, say, a 22-250, even loaded down as far as I could go with the powder I had. I didn't reload .223 then, but there is a guy on here that was making those bullets and sent me some. Forgot who it was though

I've heard they work at 5.56 velocity

No it's not addicting. I started three years ago because I didn't like depending on friends to load for me. Now I see my Dillon 550 has 13 sets of dies in toolheads and 11 caliber conversions. My Square Deal B has 6 caliber conversions. I have 8 shotshell loaders, 50+ lbs. of powder, 40K primers, 50+ gallons of brass, more bullets than I could carry in a backpack , 8 bags of reclaimed shot and half a dozen die sets for calibers I'll never own. But no, I'm not addicted, I could quit anytime...

No it's not addicting. I started three years ago because I didn't like depending on friends to load for me. Now I see my Dillon 550 has 13 sets of dies in toolheads and 11 caliber conversions. My Square Deal B has 6 caliber conversions. I have 8 shotshell loaders, 50+ lbs. of powder, 40K primers, 50+ gallons of brass, more bullets than I could carry in a backpack , 8 bags of reclaimed shot and half a dozen die sets for calibers I'll never own. But no, I'm not addicted, I could quit anytime...

Oh for suuuure. Not addicted, not you. No, really!

I think I like reloading more than shooting. But be warned, it can become addictive. I always try to buy more and more stuff. It's never enough!

I'll second this.

Another thing that happens is when you get into reloading you can get bored with your current caliber list and look for more calibers to load that you wouldn't have looked at when you were buying factory ammo.

That is truly first rate funny

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top