Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is it really addicting?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by beavernation1, Dec 19, 2013.

1. beavernation1

beavernation1 Salem Member

For the past year I have been buying reloading equipment, supplies and books little by little. I have been very excited to start this new "hobby". I have a moved into a new house with a large garage and have a bench all set up and everything. Now that I am ready to dive into it I am having second thoughts about whether I really want to now lol. It reminds me of when I was young and single chasing women and once I had them, there was no more chase and the fun wore off!!
    I am tempted to just sell it all off or trade it off for guns and ammo. My question is....if I do decide to follow through with my original plan....does it seem to keep ones attention and become addictive? I have heard it does. :huh:

2. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

It depends on how much you enjoy it. For me the precision of everything is very similar to what I do for a living, and I really enjoy that. It's just like anything, it gets a little boring and repetitive when you sit down with a bucket of 5000 pieces of .223 brass that needs to be prepped. It's best to break everything up and avoid sitting on that much fired brass, I now work on brass about twice a month and do about 200 pieces at a time, my range brass doesn't sit for more than a month without getting prepped and ready to load.

I enjoy loading, the best part is the quality of ammo you can produce that is tune to your guns for the low prices. I could not afford to shoot as much as I do if I did not reload.

Take your time, learn as much as you can, try it out and if you don't enjoy it you can always sell the stuff.

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Better to have it and not need it..

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

I think I like reloading more than shooting. But be warned, it can become addictive. I always try to buy more and more stuff. It's never enough!

5. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Reloading is definitely addictive, especially if you like gadgets. There's always something else to buy. New gun, new bullet,different load, here we go again..... Then there's just the plain satisfaction you are shooting your own ammo.

evltwn and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Wait till you discover what can be made at home that's not in the manuals. Just be safe

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yea, yer done. Jerk that handle and you better buy a case a Nair for the knuckle hairs.

8. Nickb

In times like this buying supplies becomes very addicting. Always trying to find more and buying the limits when you do find stuff.

skeezix and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Blitzkrieg

If you need them. Prioritize

10. Nickb

I don't "need" them. I have a pretty good stock of supplies.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

I don't need too much either, but 50k more primers, bullets, and cases wouldn't hurt. Then if I have that much more another 50k wouldn't hurt.

12. Blitzkrieg

See, I am amongst like minded kindred

13. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I find it interesting you mentioned you have been buying up stuff for the "past year" - yet haven't yet pulled a handle. Please don't misunderstand me but it would seem to me if you were really interested in getting into reloading you would have, by now, at least set up minimally and started reloading some 'basic' loads. Maybe you need to readdress this with yourself and decide if this is what you really want to do before you get too deep into hardware and components. Reloading is not for everyone and I have found, for the most part, it is an 'all or nothing' undertaking IE. those who do get into it make it a large part of their interest in shooting as opposed to just a part-time chore. I have a friend who has been 'waffling' with the same decision for a couple of years. I have even offered to move some 'secondary' equipment to a bench in my shop so he can come over and I would get him going and supervise him while I do other stuff so he can get a 'feel' for reloading - but he does not even seem interested in that, so I don't even approach the issue anymore with him.

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Blitzkrieg

I haven't reloaded anything this year although last year I cast several thousands of bullets. Bad left arm injury has kept me from many tasks, but I will get back to it soon

15. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

it is very addicting...

take my advice... if you are going to be serious, just fast forward to a high end press - hornady lnl ap, dillon xl650 or a dillon 1050

skip the cheaper ones... you could always sell the gear if you decide you don't like it

I started with a lee loadmaster, went up to a LNL AP and now have a dillon 1050... the 1050 is awesome.. but is not for everyone..

16. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Are you calling me not serious? Is that your way of asking for a dance? feh

17. stavros4570

stavros4570 eugene,or. Member

You are already addicted. However, you have yet to experience the true pleasure.

18. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Give it a try! And if it turns out you don't like it you can always sale the stuff.

'Tis better to have reloaded and not liked it than never to have reloaded at all. :)

19. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It is certainly time consuming, and the work involved prepping thousands of rifle cases can seem daunting to the marginal reloader. However, you can and many can argue should, begin with a single stage, to totally understand the processes and develop a 'taste' for the hobby. It is NOT for the half-baked, easily bored, tends to be distracted person. Having said that, an ample supply of ammo created by yourself is a joy not easily replicated.

Mikej and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I finished it for you knowing what you really wanted to say.:thumbup:

I buy stuff knowing that IF I were to quit there's always a market here at NWFA. You may loose 10%, but you never know, the next catastrophe/election may get you 10% or more ahead.

Mike