JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the past year I have been buying reloading equipment, supplies and books little by little. I have been very excited to start this new "hobby". I have a moved into a new house with a large garage and have a bench all set up and everything. Now that I am ready to dive into it I am having second thoughts about whether I really want to now lol. It reminds me of when I was young and single chasing women and once I had them, there was no more chase and the fun wore off!!
I am tempted to just sell it all off or trade it off for guns and ammo. My question is....if I do decide to follow through with my original plan....does it seem to keep ones attention and become addictive? I have heard it does. :huh:

It depends on how much you enjoy it. For me the precision of everything is very similar to what I do for a living, and I really enjoy that. It's just like anything, it gets a little boring and repetitive when you sit down with a bucket of 5000 pieces of .223 brass that needs to be prepped. It's best to break everything up and avoid sitting on that much fired brass, I now work on brass about twice a month and do about 200 pieces at a time, my range brass doesn't sit for more than a month without getting prepped and ready to load.

I enjoy loading, the best part is the quality of ammo you can produce that is tune to your guns for the low prices. I could not afford to shoot as much as I do if I did not reload.

Take your time, learn as much as you can, try it out and if you don't enjoy it you can always sell the stuff.

Reloading is definitely addictive, especially if you like gadgets. There's always something else to buy. New gun, new bullet,different load, here we go again..... Then there's just the plain satisfaction you are shooting your own ammo.

In times like this buying supplies becomes very addicting. Always trying to find more and buying the limits when you do find stuff.

I find it interesting you mentioned you have been buying up stuff for the "past year" - yet haven't yet pulled a handle. Please don't misunderstand me but it would seem to me if you were really interested in getting into reloading you would have, by now, at least set up minimally and started reloading some 'basic' loads. Maybe you need to readdress this with yourself and decide if this is what you really want to do before you get too deep into hardware and components. Reloading is not for everyone and I have found, for the most part, it is an 'all or nothing' undertaking IE. those who do get into it make it a large part of their interest in shooting as opposed to just a part-time chore. I have a friend who has been 'waffling' with the same decision for a couple of years. I have even offered to move some 'secondary' equipment to a bench in my shop so he can come over and I would get him going and supervise him while I do other stuff so he can get a 'feel' for reloading - but he does not even seem interested in that, so I don't even approach the issue anymore with him.

I haven't reloaded anything this year although last year I cast several thousands of bullets. Bad left arm injury has kept me from many tasks, but I will get back to it soon

it is very addicting...

take my advice... if you are going to be serious, just fast forward to a high end press - hornady lnl ap, dillon xl650 or a dillon 1050

skip the cheaper ones... you could always sell the gear if you decide you don't like it

I started with a lee loadmaster, went up to a LNL AP and now have a dillon 1050... the 1050 is awesome.. but is not for everyone..

Give it a try! And if it turns out you don't like it you can always sale the stuff.

'Tis better to have reloaded and not liked it than never to have reloaded at all. :)

It is certainly time consuming, and the work involved prepping thousands of rifle cases can seem daunting to the marginal reloader. However, you can and many can argue should, begin with a single stage, to totally understand the processes and develop a 'taste' for the hobby. It is NOT for the half-baked, easily bored, tends to be distracted person. Having said that, an ample supply of ammo created by yourself is a joy not easily replicated.

it is very addicting...

take my advice... if you are going to be serious, just fast forward to a high end press - hornady lnl ap, dillon xl650 or a dillon 1050

skip the cheaper ones... you could always sell the gear if you decide you don't like it. And I'll give you .60 cents on the dollar for the whole shebang!

I finished it for you knowing what you really wanted to say.:s0155:

I buy stuff knowing that IF I were to quit there's always a market here at NWFA. You may loose 10%, but you never know, the next catastrophe/election may get you 10% or more ahead.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads