JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have regular contact with law enforcement other than through my work in same said area. Outside of work, I don't get pulled over. In the times that I have been pulled over for the occasional traffic violation, I have never been searched. Never been talked to by a police officer at a range or at a shooting match about any NFA items either.

Is this a problem here in Oregon?

I had a cop, in plainclothes (but I saw his duty gear in his range bag), once, at the range, obviously fishing, say to me, "well hey, that's a mighty short barrel you got there. Doesn't something like that require one of those... uh... what are they called? Form fourteen or something?"

I guess my response, briefly explaining the NFA process, satisfied him enough that he never got color of law with me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have regular contact with law enforcement other than through my work in same said area. Outside of work, I don't get pulled over. In the times that I have been pulled over for the occasional traffic violation, I have never been searched. Never been talked to by a police officer at a range or at a shooting match about any NFA items either.

Is this a problem here in Oregon?

In Columbia County it can go either way.
They can smile and wave , Or you can get asked at gun point. Just depends on the officer and the day.

I have had both unfortunately.

Neighbor had a 4th of July party. Cop from across the street was there with some of his stater buddies and several of us were sloppy drunk . Subject of guns came up and I invited one of the state guys over to my place to see my HK91. Walked over to my place and I also pulled out one of my SBR's and handed it to him. His eyes got real big real fast. Looked it over and saw the form 1 engraving. "you got paperwork for this" he says. "Yep, sure do. Call an ATF agent over and I'll show it to him " I says. Stuck it back in the safe and we went back and drank some more beer.

If the guy with the badge and the gun asks to see my paperwork, I'm showing it to him. Yes, I know I don't have to show it to him. I'd just prefer to avoid a hassle. Fortunately, I shoot at ARPC where is not only allowed, but where they have a monthly subgun shoot.

I can add what I was told at the Clackamas Sheriff's community range... if you show up with a suppressor, expect to have to show a stamp/F4 or have it confiscated until you can present it. Ugh

I can add what I was told at the Clackamas Sheriff's community range... if you show up with a suppressor, expect to have to show a stamp/F4 or have it confiscated until you can present it. Ugh

All the more reason not to go to the Clackamas sheriffs range. Lots of good shooting land in Clackamas county.

I shrink four down to one page, front and back and carry those along with a front and back copy of the trust agreement and schedule A just in case (since the trust really owns it, a dick could imply I'm not the trustee). Anyway, you are compelled to show proof of that NFA stamp to anyone that asks, not just law enforcement if I'm not mistaken. If you refuse, they can call the police to check it anyway. You may encounter this at a pay range with over-zealous officers.

This is what I was told to do as well.. I shrank mine down and then laminated them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top