JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I garuntee there is already a thread on this. I could not think about keywords to get me to a post if it exsists.. I recently put together a CMMG lower reciever that I would like to register as a SBR in the near future. When I file my form 1 and am waiting for my tax stamp to come in, can I still throw a 16 inch upper onto the completed lower and shoot it as a rifle? I threw in a good trigger and want to add some more upgraded parts into it and would hate to have it sit in my safe for 6-12 months until approval

I garuntee there is already a thread on this. I could not think about keywords to get me to a post if it exsists.. I recently put together a CMMG lower reciever that I would like to register as a SBR in the near future. When I file my form 1 and am waiting for my tax stamp to come in, can I still throw a 16 inch upper onto the completed lower and shoot it as a rifle? I threw in a good trigger and want to add some more upgraded parts into it and would hate to have it sit in my safe for 6-12 months until approval
It's not an SBR until the paperwork clears, so, yes.

It's not an SBR until the paperwork clears, so, yes.
I may have misread your meaning, but just to clarify, even after the paperwork clears he can put a 16" upper or different caliber or whatever on it.

Also he could shoot it as a pistol before the paperwork clears if he is using a brace instead of a stock (this subject to change in the future so monitor court cases here at NWFA to make sure brace rules haven't changed).

I may have misread your meaning, but just to clarify, even after the paperwork clears he can put a 16" upper or different caliber or whatever on it.

Also he could shoot it as a pistol before the paperwork clears if he is using a brace instead of a stock (this subject to change in the future so monitor court cases here at NWFA to make sure brace rules haven't changed).
You're right

As long as the barrel is 16" doesn't matter what the lower has on it. Could be a stock, a brace or even a folder and still be legal. I would set it up how it will eventually end up. Would that be legal?

Thank you guys for clarification on some of those things. I plan to get the upper with sights/grip/etc when I send in my form 1 paperwork and wait for it to clear so I can complete the build. For now I'll get myself a 16 inch upper and shoot it as a rifle!

Thank you guys for clarification on some of those things. I plan to get the upper with sights/grip/etc when I send in my form 1 paperwork and wait for it to clear so I can complete the build. For now I'll get myself a 16 inch upper and shoot it as a rifle!
Or you can use the same upper now that you would use after you get the stamp. You just have to replace the stock with a brace.

Technicality note: This assumes your gun was not originally sold as a rifle. A Pistol, stripped lower, complete lower are all fine as long as it wasn't originally manufactured as a rifle.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR