JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1700199740987.png

Aloha, Mark

They make good radios. Whats important is if you like it and it serves your purpose.
I "was" a home base guy but just like anyone else, I think its important to put a 2 way radio like CB or..? on mobile especially now for a just in case situation. It might be fun too! I was watching this guy on video. He was just making his own base antenna. Just a simple 3 element from hardware parts. I cant believe how that antenna can throw that far without a repeater. From a midwest flatland all the way to Rio de Janeiro. He was using a Cobra 142 GTL from the 1980's
He had to be using skip and maybe some extra power.

I was thinking about resurrecting my CB radio, went looking for it and it seems I no longer have one. I'd buy another Midland, but it seems their CBs are made in China now. What's a good brand that's still made here? I found President and they look pretty good.
A lot of nice jaw-dropper radio and on sale now. I'm even tempted to buy another one. :s0130:

He had to be using skip and maybe some extra power.
This antenna really blew my mind. :s0040:

If you're going to build your own antenna(s), get a NanoVNA. Low SWR doesn't tell you anything about antenna efficiency. A dummy load has low SWR. Don't be a Mud Duck.

If you really want to have fun talking long distances (DX), think about getting a Ham license. More bands available to use give you more chances to talk to other states/countries.

I'm currently using a wire antenna and matching transformer I built myself (a 132' End-Fed Half Wave and 49:1 UNUN) that is resonant on 6 bands without using a tuner, and 3 others with a tuner. I've got 31 confirmed/10 unconfirmed states, 39 conf./13 unconf. countries, and 5 out of 6 confirmed continents (waiting on Africa to confirm), and I'm not in a great location and don't get on the air all that often.

Whatever you do, have fun with it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top