JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Perhaps not.
Gotta "fight your way to your rifle!". with your good looks.. not cowardly or lazy at all (that was a joke right there since..). Good luck. Of course lolz.
Guess what,.. yer dead.

Perhaps not.
Gotta "fight your way to your rifle!". with your good looks.. not cowardly or lazy at all (that was a joke right there since..). Good luck. Of course lolz.
Guess what,.. yer dead.

It would take me 15rds of 9mm with the CZ and another 15 of 40 with the M&P before I "fight for a rifle...even then I think I will grab the .357 unless they are somehow further away than my house allows....That point I would just be shooting people in the neighbors law.....Wait that sounds like someone I know here!

It would take me 15rds of 9mm with the CZ and another 15 of 40 with the M&P before I "fight for a rifle...even then I think I will grab the .357 unless they are somehow further away than my house allows....That point I would just be shooting people in the neighbors law.....Wait that sounds like someone I know here!
Lol, I hear you. Just trying to encourage the peeps. in a way

Lol, I hear you. Just trying to encourage the peeps. in a way

Oh boy....good luck with the "I keep 2 AR10s hanging over my bed" crowd. They "need" that rifle. Ya know if you miss with a .308 at least it is likely to kill someone within your neighborhood. I like to avoid those kind of bullets in the homestead....Which is why .357 is a last resort. Them some potent pistol rounds.

Seriously aside from an all on outdoor fight when does a rifle fit better as HD? I understand a Shotgun if you know how to use it and it is what you have but even then people believe they can be a poor shot because of "spread"....Really how far is the spread at 10 feet. I have seen many guys miss being cocky with a shotgun at short range.
I do get a military guy or gal being more comfortable with a rifle they trained with but the mall ninja type is what drives me nuts. Do they grab the rifle before or after they finish peeing their pants?

Same here...

9mm w/21 rounds that's on me

then the

.357 mag (not sig you sissies, j/k)

Then a

.308 or 12ga, but that's a huge last resort...

I could get on board the .223 bandwagon with the right ammo though so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

Same here...

9mm w/21 rounds that's on me

then the

.357 mag (not sig you sissies, j/k)

Then a

.308 or 12ga, but that's a huge last resort...

I could get on board the .223 bandwagon with the right ammo though so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

Yeah the best thing for me is the pistols then maybe the 12ga. If I am running for a rifle then a lot of lead has already flown through the air....I doubt I could get that many rounds off and still be going for more.

I usually just carry my Sig mini-9 all the time and have it beside me in PJ's. With the warmer weather lately and the front door open I've gotten out the Beretta 92 with its 17+1 capacity. I want to be able to stop multiple attackers, though I hope I never have to! Filled with Critical Defence rounds BTW.

Last Edited:
Standard 5.56 / .223 FMJ has been proven to be less likely to over penetrate through walls than most pistol rounds - the bullets yaw and break up and pass through fewer walls than 9mm JHPs. They're also more lethal against humans and better against the 1 in a billion body armor wearing home invaders.

The rifle also is the more accurate of the two weapons, which is another important factor in play.

The biggest benefit of the pistol is it's compactness and one-handed operation capabilities. Even a light weight AR-15 is unwieldy when used one handed, even when supported by a sling. The pistol allows for you to use your off hand for other tasks - usinga flash light, opening doors, turning on/off light switches, pushing loved ones behind you or out of the line of fire, fighting hand-to-hand, or eating your choice of snack food while holding the bad guy/girl/thing at gun point until the cops or coroner arrive to take custody of him/her/it. But there's probably a picatinny rail attachment for a sandwhich holder you can bolt onto an AR...

We keep a few guns at the ready just in case - the primary bump in the night/ defend the family from pirate zombie ninja hordes though is an AR with a red dot and a white light, and of course a sling attached. There's also the shotgun, for those times when the invaders are thuggish bears, hopped up tweakers who shrug off a .223 hit, or the possible evil mutant ninja turtle that would seek to do us harm. Lets see his shell stop a 1 oz rifled slug.

Not afraid to use any of our firearms in the house honestly, if we need to defend the house. Keeping the family safe and alive is of more concern than what a missed shot *might* do if it ever came down to a shoot out with bad guys in teh house.

I agree with you mkwerx. You made many good points. The only thing
I would add is the fact that pistol marksmanship takes more skill. We
have all seen pistol shooters at the range that are terrible shots. I
recently took a young lady shooting for the first time. Shooting a
scoped AR-15 carbine. She put 4 rounds in the X ring and 1 round
in the 10 ring at 100 yards. I am amazed how a first time shooter can
do so well with a rifle.

Generally...

People shot with pistols run away. People shot with rifles die.

I would use my pistol to fight my way to anything bigger than what I have got in my hand (shotgun, rifle, rocket launcher, Javelin missile, M-1 Abrams, Tomahawk missile, Trident II Mk-5 RV warhead)

The only reason I don't carry Javelin missile is that they don't make a Kydex holster for it and their aren't any parking spots big enough at the mall for an M-1.

As said I know that if you are able and comfortable to use a rifle then good for ya! I am first to admit I am not a rifle shooter. I train, practice, and shoot my pistols. So with that I trust myself with them.
My irritation comes from the mall ninja type who have a rifle they have shot a few times and likely do have a sandwich holder attachment on it.
@Just Jim yes a swat team is more effective as are military personnel. I know I am neither of these and in order to defend my family to the best of MY ability I use what I train with. As should everyone rather than just using what they think looks cool on TV.
I am much more at ease with a free hand and turning corners without a long gun trying to go around...Aside from the fact that I will not have 4 other guys in swat uniforms watching my back if someone grabs the end of my rifle.
I know there are pro rifle, pro pistol folks all over. I am just going to be pro pistol that fits nicely under my pillow no matter what ballistics or strategically makes more sense to anyone but me.

Maybe some day I will have a rifle I trust in like I do my pistols for close range. As of now if I am using two hands it is a M&P 40 pro in one hand and a CZ 75 9mm in the other....not two hands to hold a rifle....CZs also make awesome clubs btw.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top