JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Eh, it was posted here to invite a conversation. No, obviously I wasn't there. Based on the story that was told, I drew opinions. Also, if someone took my wallet that I left in the bathroom, and told me that I could not have it back, and that I needed to wait for the cops to release it to me, I would have the exact same issue.
And a found wallet would no doubt contain items that let an employee quickly determine if the claimant is the true owner. Since the lost wallet presents no safety or legal constraints, that employee could and probably would immediately hand the wallet back to the owner. As I said, I've been there, so I've got an inside track on how "found property" is handled without causing liability - or butt-hurt - for anyone.

I'm surprised the police just handed her the gun without running the serial # , running her ID , and most importantly unloading the gun and
handing it back unloaded and ammo separate . I have never seen a leo hand back a loaded weapon with one in the pipe ?
I have seen them return a firearm cleared , then the ammo separate.
I really don't think the police care or want to be involved in much nowadays at least in my opinion

When I carry its for real not practice. Practice occurs on the range. If your carrying in public it would be wise to have your wits about you. The chl carrier is responsible for what happens with that firearm and to think different is negligent. IMHO.

Do people randomly make calls to see if a firearm was found in a specific location at a specific business? The answer is obviously NO. It was obviously her gun, so give it back to her. Some of the attitudes here show exactly why 114 passed.

Do people randomly make calls to see if a firearm was found in a specific location at a specific business? The answer is obviously NO. It was obviously her gun, so give it back to her. Some of the attitudes here show exactly why 114 passed.
Maybe its time to start cold calling, could be a way of bypassing 114 when the permit system is in place...

My opinion (for what it's worth), is that the OP did the right thing in taking safe custody of the firearm and calling the police. I'm sure the gun could have been identified pretty easily by describing the model by the person who lost control of it but I also understand in this incredibly litigious society I would also make the police be the "responsible" party to return the weapon to the owner, regardless of how careless it sounds like they were in verifying ownership. EDIT - The OP has no way to verify if the claimed owner, even if gun was verified via description by the assumed owner, that she was allowed to own a firearm (felonies, mental issues, etc.) and one would hope the police would've at least checked her criminal/law interaction history.
It's also my opinion (and hopefully would be shared by most of the planet) that it's pretty shameful thinking regarding a "loser's weepers, finder's keepers" attitude towards this, or a similar, incident! This is probably the same thinking that all the criminals that steal stuff use...

Last Edited:

Seems to me the cop should have checked status of a CCP.
Or run a check to see if it's stolen. That's how many stolen guns are recovered, in "routine" stops.

I don't know - and OP does not say - what sort of business he manages/owns, but my bet is anything he does on the job can create liability if his action contributes to something going to crap in some way. Seems to me that handing out firearms to random strangers has that potential, and is unlikely to be part of his job description. Deciding if some stranger is truly the gun's owner is probably also outside scope of the job.
This, potential issues of liability.

On that same note, is it in his scope to take possession of a gun, and put it into a safe where the owner cannot get it?
Yes, it is, within his establishment, absolutely. If a kid had picked it up and killed someone, the store would've gotten sued. It was his duty to secure it.

Is it being a firearm any different then any "lost/found" item in a store?
You're joking, right? A lethal weapon is not a normal object for the lost and found.

One time in the army, I turned in a .45 Pistol that was left hanging in a public restroom. I knew whose it was, but the LTC owner wasn't around and wasn't going to be for some time. So I turned it in to my boss, another LTC. He gave it back to LTC #1 with a friendly reminder. LTC #1 wasn't happy but he knew he'd done wrong. It was privately owned, a WW1 1911, original Colt military blue, I should've stolen it. Now that would've been a lesson learned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top