JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And talking about what ifs.
This is why so many people think the gun industry/firearms community is so toxic. People make mistakes, no one was hurt, this can be a teaching moment. You don't have to be rude and belittle someone to get a point across. Are you here to tell everyone that you never make mistakes that COULD lead to someone being hurt? Never speed? Never rolled through a stop sign? Why would you make the choice to act like a jerk then give opinions or ideas to make someone a more responsible owner?

I bet she didn't even bother to vote.
Are you clairvoyant? Come on, you can tell us. Or? Teach me?

Seems to me the cop should have checked status of a CCP. And then spend a few minutes on some serious, but kind, counseling. Assuming she was kosher to carry that is.

And some of you, hope you don't ever screw up. And have a group of holier-than-thou's there to mash your face in it.

I don't know - and OP does not say - what sort of business he manages/owns, but my bet is anything he does on the job can create liability if his action contributes to something going to crap in some way. Seems to me that handing out firearms to random strangers has that potential, and is unlikely to be part of his job description. Deciding if some stranger is truly the gun's owner is probably also outside scope of the job.

What now, call his boss who knows even less about the situation at hand, and maybe even less about firearms? Calling the cops might seem like wasting an officer's time; if so, that is lamentable but it looks to me like the safest option available to avoid company and personal liability.

Was the gun owner irresponsible...?
Sure seems like it.

With that said....
Mistakes happen.
However...
Mistakes with firearms can have deadly consequences.
Luckily that was not the case here.

It is good to learn from one's experiences....Hopefully the gun owner did in this case.

Not sure if I would have handled the situation like the OP did.
Not my business...both literally and figuratively ...so that will make a difference.
Andy

This is why so many people think the gun industry/firearms community is so toxic. People make mistakes, no one was hurt, this can be a teaching moment. You don't have to be rude and belittle someone to get a point across. Are you here to tell everyone that you never make mistakes that COULD lead to someone being hurt? Never speed? Never rolled through a stop sign? Why would you make the choice to act like a jerk then give opinions or ideas to make someone a more responsible owner?
Excuses for poor gun handling and possibly putting others at risk due to irresponsibility is never OK. Who do you think had a bigger impact the op or Leo for this teaching moment.

I don't know - and OP does not say - what sort of business he manages/owns, but my bet is anything he does on the job can create liability if his action contributes to something going to crap in some way. Seems to me that handing out firearms to random strangers has that potential, and is unlikely to be part of his job description. Deciding if some stranger is truly the gun's owner is probably also outside scope of the job.

What now, call his boss who knows even less about the situation at hand, and maybe even less about firearms? Calling the cops might seem like wasting an officer's time; if so, that is lamentable but it looks to me like the safest option available to avoid company and personal liability.
On that same note, is it in his scope to take possession of a gun, and put it into a safe where the owner cannot get it? Is it being a firearm any different then any "lost/found" item in a store? Based on the story, it seems to me that the owner of the firearm saw the OP with the gun, and made the remark that it was hers. To which he responded, no you cannot have this gun, get it from the cops...

Excuses for poor gun handling and possibly putting others at risk due to irresponsibility is never OK. Who do you think had a bigger impact the op or Leo for this teaching moment.
In my opinion neither. Someone taking my property, and telling me to ask the authority to get it back does nothing to teach... Nor does just being handed the gun back and everyone walks away... You cannot create a responsible owner out of an irresponsible one by belittling them and telling them they don't deserve to exercise their rights.

In my opinion neither. Someone taking my property, and telling me to ask the authority to get it back does nothing to teach... Nor does just being handed the gun back and everyone walks away... You cannot create a responsible owner out of an irresponsible one by belittling them and telling them they don't deserve to exercise their rights.
It is clear we disagree on how this should be handled. When you find a firearm laying around unintended you can deal with it. I will do the same.

. . . Is it being a firearm any different then any "lost/found" item in a store? . . .
Damn straight, it is a different ball game altogether. A found wallet has no safety implications for the store, its employees, and its customers. A found firearm is a whole 'nother matter. Been there, got the T-shirt, and know that the OP - whether intentionally or not - took an action that protected the interests of everyone concerned. Seems that folks who are reacting negatively to his chosen course of action are leaping to the conclusion that he acted in an abrupt, bubblegum-like manner. I wasn't there, so I can't say how he acted. Were you there?

Damn straight, it is a different ball game altogether. A found wallet has no safety implications for the store, its employees, and its customers. A found firearm is a whole 'nother matter. Been there, got the T-shirt, and know that the OP - whether intentionally or not - took an action that protected the interests of everyone concerned. Seems that folks who are reacting negatively to his chosen course of action are leaping to the conclusion that he acted in an abrupt, bubblegum-like manner. I wasn't there, so I can't say. Were you there?
Eh, it was posted here to invite a conversation. No, obviously I wasn't there. Based on the story that was told, I drew opinions. Also, if someone took my wallet that I left in the bathroom, and told me that I could not have it back, and that I needed to wait for the cops to release it to me, I would have the exact same issue.

I think the OP did the right thing. With all the stupid laws we have now (safe storage laws, transfer laws, etc) do you just hand a loaded firearm over to somebody who says "That's mine"? How do they prove it? Give it to LE and let them deal with it. If they make the wrong decision, it's on them.

Eh, it was posted here to invite a conversation. No, obviously I wasn't there. Based on the story that was told, I drew opinions. Also, if someone took my wallet that I left in the bathroom, and told me that I could not have it back, and that I needed to wait for the cops to release it to me, I would have the exact same issue.
I could look at a piece of ID in the wallet and tell if you owned it. I can't tell the same by looking at a firearm unless you engraved your name on it.

I could look at a piece of ID in the wallet and tell if you owned it. I can't tell the same by looking at a firearm unless you engraved your name on it.
You know what. I guess you're right. All of this is a great reason to continue to push people away from the gun community, and not just teach them the responsible way to do things. This talk has divulged so far from what I had originally posted it doesn't even make sense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top