JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dang, I shot my first handgun at about 6. But it probably was legal 61 years ago in WA, and I still think it is.

Iowa lawmakers consider measure that would make it legal for children 12 and older to fire handguns. WGEM's Andy Devine reports.

Iowa Lawmakers Consider Handguns for Kids - NBC News

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Why would there be a law that puts an age on kids shooting period, shouldn't that be the parents decision not the States?
Of course I will now check out the link.

I grew up in Iowa. There was never any kind of law of that sort on the 60s or 70s. We were out hunting pheasants and rabbits at that age.

I've always admired the Iowa state motto: "Our liberties we prize and out rights we will maintain". Looks like they're still in a battle to maintain their rights.

I'm confused why a law would even exist about young people shooting with parental supervision. I had my own 22 rifle when I was 6 and learned to shoot handguns with my dads old Hi Standard 22.

Would you not teach your young kids to swim because that's dangerous as well?

I have no idea when I shot my first handgun but I'm sure it was before age 12 I was Deer hunting at 11 (I turned 12 during season)

My son started shooting handguns at 5 including a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44spl. of course under very careful supervision (I had him rest the butt in the palm of my hand with my arm over his elbows until I could see how he would handle the recoil then the over arm thing stopped)

Would you not teach your young kids to swim because that's dangerous as well?

"If you own a gun and have a swimming pool in the yard, the swimming pool is almost 100 times more likely to kill a child than the gun is."
The Chicago Sun-Times.

Deen
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

What the H.
Never heard of any age law on when kids could shoot.
That is BS.
And that woman at the end was a ret-ard.

8 for my first .22LR hand gun and a .22 Short Gallery Gun at the Fair, 10 for my first shotgun, a 20 gauge that nearly knocked me off my feet. Age restrictions are B.S.

LOL, Got my oldest a Beretta FS-1 12 ga, The first time he fired it at about age 8 it set him straight down on his butt.
If you have ever fired that lightweight folder, you will understand. Low stock and about 3 1/2 lb.
It was a mule. Eventually got him an Ithica 20

And we get free huntin and fishin licenses to boot.

Really? I've never hunted in my life and it's been 40 years since I last went fishing and that was netting for smelt. No license required, everyone limited on two scoops, took me three as I didn't go deep enough the first one.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

LOL, Got my oldest a Beretta FS-1 12 ga, The first time he fired it at about age 8 it set him straight down on his butt.
If you have ever fired that lightweight folder, you will understand. Low stock and about 3 1/2 lb.
It was a mule. Eventually got him an Ithica 20
That's what happened to my dad. They gave him a double barrel 10 GA, no instruction, so he put both feet together and fired.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

Pretty sure my oldest's first magazine of 9mm was around 5 years old. If Oregon had an age law regarding what a child can or can't do with the supervision of his own damn father, I can guarantee you I'd be giving it about as much regard as an email from a Nigerian trust attorney.

i think its up to the parent to be a responsible parent and not up to the state to decide how children should be parented or how and what parents can do to be parents.

I grew up in Iowa and can guarantee you, at 14, we were pheasant and rabbit hunting on our own and had been doing so for quite some time. Our biggest hurdles were having the money for ammo and finding someone to drive us to town to buy it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top