JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is great material to dive into. I definitely see that lack of maturity all around me. To be blunt , I regularly interact with adults of all ages who refuse to take responsibility for themselves. Their actions and even their daily survival and sustenance needs are somehow NOT their personal responsibility. Age is not the only measure of maturity.
True, but age is time, and time is the only way to garner experience and learn our lessons. Obviously, starting with a good foundation is key, and that is where our society falls short. I know far too many people with kids that have no business raising children because they exhibit the attitudes you describe in spades. Some of these people I went to school with, and I am 50 now.

True, but age is time, and time is the only way to garner experience and learn our lessons. Obviously, starting with a good foundation is key, and that is where our society falls short. I know far too many people with kids that have no business raising children because they exhibit the attitudes you describe in spades. Some of these people I went to school with, and I am 50 now.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, my niece is in high school. She gets straight As and works part time so she can cover a portion of her tuition costs - she wanted to go to a private high school and volunteered to take on that responsibility to make it happen. She budgets, pays for her own clothes and entertainment expenses, does her own laundry, cooks her own meals... she is more mature and level-headed than most 20-somethings I know.

As a young female, she is at higher risk for violence than any of us. At her father's request I taught her to shoot and handle firearms safely. She can load, fire, and unload a semi-auto pistol or rifle without assistance, practices excellent muzzle discipline, and keeps her trigger finger indexed at all times when not actively firing. I haven't taught her any tactical stuff yet, but that will happen soon enough. In spite of her obvious level of responsibility she cannot own a pistol for personal protection.

Now, I'm not advocating that a 14 year old should be able to own and carry a pistol. I'm just calling out that there's a bell curve of maturity for every age, regardless of what the law determines to be adulthood. Pushing back the age of legal adulthood further means people like her will have a longer time period in which they are unable to leverage the most effective means of self defense available. That's a part of the equation we should not forget when evaluating the pros and cons of these things.

There's a lot of variables in how " kids" are raised. My youngest are 20 , in 1 month exactly they will be 21. I'd be pi$$ed if someone moved that made up magic number to 25 just as an experiment.
Both my boys are hard working young men. The house I'm lounging around in at this exact moment is my 20 year old son's first.
Yep , he's got a mortgage already. Why should he have to wait till he's 25 for anything else?

So.

2A talks about militia right.... and the People...

This Militia Act of 1792 states that able bodied white (at that time) males between ages of 18 and 45 are considered members of the Militias, and are required to own muskets/arms, ammo, good supplies for them, and the load carriage equipment of that time.

So... 18 to 45 are militia members. Selective service is 18. Voting age 18. Marrying age without parents signing off, 18.
Make of that what you will.

So.

This Militia Act of 1792 states that able bodied white (at that time) males between ages of 18 and 45 are considered members of the Militias, and are required to own muskets/arms, ammo, good supplies for them, and the load carriage equipment of that time.

So... 18 to 45 are militia members. Selective service is 18. Voting age 18. Marrying age without parents signing off, 18.
There is one I could follow .

So.

There is one I could follow .
Yeah, logically, updating to today's technology, the People aged 18 to 45 have the inherent right and responsibility to acquire M4s, M16s, M134s, grenades, M249s, M240s, M60s, M1911, M9, M203s, M79s, and the body armor and load bearing equipment as required, as well as all the ammunition they can afford, of all types including the armor piercing and incendiary types.

There's a lot of variables in how " kids" are raised. My youngest are 20 , in 1 month exactly they will be 21. I'd be pi$$ed if someone moved that made up magic number to 25 just as an experiment.
Both my boys are hard working young men. The house I'm lounging around in at this exact moment is my 20 year old son's first.
Yep , he's got a mortgage already. Why should he have to wait till he's 25 for anything else?

Based on that logic, popping out babies makes someone an adult.

Exceptions don't make the rule. What would prevent someone from working in the proposed age limit scenario? You can start working at age 15 even though we currently accept 18 as "adult." I did, to pay tuition for private school. You can buy anything not restricted (as in firearms) with co-signers.

Based on that logic, popping out babies makes someone an adult.

Exceptions don't make the rule. What would prevent someone from working in the proposed age limit scenario? You can start working at age 15 even though we currently accept 18 as "adult." I did, to pay tuition for private school. You can buy anything not restricted (as in firearms) with co-signers.
1_GI-td9gs8D5OKZd19mAOqA.png

How does crapping out crotch goblins equate to adulthood again??

It doesn't, that was my point. And neither does owning a house,.
I thought we were discussing personal responsibility. You believe that a working, taxpaying American citizen should wait an extra 4 years to buy certain types of firearms? Or even possibly have their voting rights paused for the same 4 years? All because " maybe less crime.." ?

I fail to be swayed by this .

I thought we were discussing personal responsibility. You believe that a working, taxpaying American citizen should wait an extra 4 years to buy certain types of firearms? Or even possibly have their voting rights paused for the same 4 years? All because " maybe less crime.." ?

I fail to be swayed by this .

Debating someone twisting your words is futile; you have a particular way of interpretation that I do not care to engage.

GOOD to hear!

Take care.

Cate

We're about to find out this year where things are heading. Oregon's ballot measure system makes it really easy for new gun control measures to become law. The OP is correct on many accounts.

Yeah, logically, updating to today's technology, the People aged 18 to 45 have the inherent right and responsibility to acquire M4s, M16s, M134s, grenades, M249s, M240s, M60s, M1911, M9, M203s, M79s, and the body armor and load bearing equipment as required, as well as all the ammunition they can afford, of all types including the armor piercing and incendiary types.
This is what the U.S. argued in U.S. v Miller.

Joe

Talking about "arms suitable for militia uses"? The irony is that case was one that was interpreted as holding 1934 NFA as constitutional :rolleyes: but Heller expanded on the part of "arms in common use at the time" and ignored the "arms suitable for militia use" part.
Essentially the state argued that Miller could have the same arms used by the military...

Joe

I believe the answer to reducing crimes committed with firearms (please note, I did not say "gun crimes" as I have never seen or heard of a gun committing a crime unabetted) is simple and involves a compromise. 1: Any felony committed with a firearm carries a MANDATORY 20-year prison sentence. 2: Any death that occurs during the commission of a felony committed with a firearm carries a MANDATORY life sentence without parole. 3: No firearms charge relating to a felony can be "plea bargained" away and must go to trial. The compromise is that progressive politicians and DAs have to give up on dropping or not charging weapons charges. Simple. No, it won't stop all crimes committed with a firearm, but it will reduce the pool of people available to commit said crimes!

Essentially the state argued that Miller could have the same arms used by the military...

Joe
The very specific argument was that Short barreled shotguns were not in common use within the Military, at the time, so NFA 1934 was upheld as constitutional and Miller died before he could bring up actual examples and such. Revisiting Miller; in the light of the current military weapons... the NFA should be repealed entirely.

General issue carbine, a 14.5" M4 (SBR) with 3 round burst (Machine Gun)

General issue rifle for the most part, M16 with 20" barrels, but has either full auto or 3 rd burst depending on specific lower model, (MG)

M203/M79 grenade launchers, depending on format (M203 on M4s or M16s); either AOWs or Destructive Devices, squad level issue, not general but still pretty common

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top