JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This just goes to show what kind of weird mindset legislators have, thinking it's their business at all to "allow" parents to do their parenting job. Oh, well, just another law to ignore. (I'm aware this bill removes an earlier imposition - but who would pay any attention to that imposition in the first place? It's like that Oregon law forbidding the riding of a bicycle without a seat. :eek: )

Handguns... Not rifles.

Still, I see no problems. Trigger discipline and not giving a 9 year old a 500SWMag.. Be the parent.

Carry on.

bbR3SIU.jpg

We had an H&R 922 revolver when I was growing up. All we had to do was ask if it was OK to take it out shooting. We had the basic rules about not shooting when pointed at the house or any of the barns. I believe I was about 14 then. Dad said that if we were old enough to spend all day on the tractor and feed and water the livestock, we were responsible enough to take guns out on our own too.

I was shooting handguns and rifles when I was 8. I owned my first rifle at 12. When I was a teenager friends and I would borrow our parents firearms (pistol, shotgun and rifles), load them in a car, drive 30 miles to a outdoor range north of LeClaire Iowa and spend ALL day shooting (we would go through 1,000 -2,000 22lr) while being unsupervised. No one got hurt. It was clean innocent recreation.

It is difficult to teach handgun safety , if the person being taught can not handle or shoot the handgun.

My thought is that if you own a gun of any type , anyone of any age who might come into contact with it , should know how operate it safely and effectively.
Not saying that one should break a law , just throwing my thought out there ...
Andy

I grew up in a relatively "anti-gun" household... more because my mother was a war refugee and found firearms to be a less desirable thing to our family. I shot .22lr when I was young because family friends provided the means and my parents allowed it with the understanding it was an important experience for my safety and survival.

Years later, other friends have continued my progression and taught me responsible handling as I've grown up.

No law like this is necessary. Good and engaged parents interested in our cultural wellbeing will see to it that responsible handling is encouraged, taught, and perhaps even practiced in youth. Irresponsible parents will plant the same potentially bad seeds (and many will "figure it out" anyway), regardless of laws.

Edit: If I had my way, safe and responsible handling would be taught to everybody. Instead of leaving it up to the chance that an individual has the opportunity to encounter the right people and opportunity.

I saw the 1st story on this on national news, The TV story showed what appeared to me a junior steel shooting program.

The father / instructor was involved in IPSC,IDPA,SPEED STEEL... and the junior shooting sports.

These idiots in the state of Iowa feel the need to stop us from teaching responsible gun handling and introduction of our kids to the various sporting sports.

My son was coming with me to matches when he was 8yrd old and started shooting junior steel at 10yrs old and shooting long guns at 9.

I as Pirate were hunting after school as much as we could, and only wish that my son as i had been able to experience a 22 or shotgun slung on his back and ride his bike to the fields without the PC crap we see today.

I wish all parents with firearms were responsible. I dealt with a case in which a non-custodial dad made a video of his 3 year old son pulling trigger on a 12 ga. tac-style shotgun. Child was injured. Where do we draw the line? My kids grew up shooting. Safely. Something to ponder.
:confused:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads