JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got back from a Sunday afternoon hunt and thought I would share my experience. My first mistake was going on a Sunday, after arrival I heard gunshot after gunshot it was little Beirut up there for a large part of the day. No matter, it was a beautiful day and I was enjoying just being out. I was not hunting seriously this day, just wanted to be out.

People were up there of all sorts. I observed these things from about 300yrds away. A guy shooting a 22 pistol of some sorts in a small fuel economy car. My vehicle, which you could see about 300yrds away elevated near a clear cut. As I observed him shooting in my general direction, I was hidden, but my vehicle was not. I heard 3 rounds ricochet my direction making a zing sound as I crouched behind a stump. Observing the smoke from the fired round and hearing the shot a second or so later was unnerving.

Now common sense you would think, not to shoot in my direction in close proximity to my vehicle but I guess he missed the memo. I did not make contact as I was by myself, I was not under gunned. But chose to observe, instead of making contact. It's public lands and you just never know what someone is going to do.

Second set of people, showed up about 1.5 hours before dark. 2 guys, mid twenties dressed in dark colors. When they pulled up 300yds away I spotted them, I observed them acknowledging my vehicle and orange hat. I observed them pointing in my direction and talking. They pulled out a couple guns and walked down the road 40yds (away from me) and started shooting behind a small hill. I took this time, to remove my orange hat, and head up the hill so I could observe them from a different position. I could hear them shouting and shooting for a bit, walking back to the truck to get ammo and continue shooting carelessly.

I could see them looking in my direction, talking for a bit, and then they started shooting again. They moved closer to their vehicle and in my hunting area approx 300yrds, and started shooting wildly. I was no longer at the location they last saw me, but lots of rounds were sent in my direction, which my vehicle was still at. I observed more talking, I was starting to get a bit nervous, as I was wondering if they were going to head up the road towards my vehicle (at a dead end). They have already demonstrated a lack of regard for safety (shooting in my, and my vehicles direction) and I was starting to run scenarios in my head. I was on a dead end road, 2009 Expedition, to their older pickup and sorta sketchy looking guys. It's now about 1/2 hour before dark, I observe them back at the truck grab another gun and load up. I hear them say something to the effect of (amplified ear muffs),pretend that's a guy and that's a guy, meaning the two stumps ahead of them, I was behind the stumps 300yrds and 10 degrees to their left. I hear them say something, but couldn't make it out as they were turned the other way.

As they load up again, I am paying close attention to their body language, looking for beer bottles, sounds, anything that could help me determine the situation more clearly. I could see them talking, looking my direction, holding a shotgun and something like a small high powered rifle, (no scope) and a couple different handguns. They stood their for a bit looking my direction before turning around and getting in their truck and leaving. I was not scared, my heart was beating faster, but I was more pissed. Upset that I might be in a bad situation. Some pretty ugly thoughts run through a guys head in that kind of environment. Oh and the NV wasn't for the deer, just in case anyone was wondering.

Usually I head really deep into the woods, this day I did not. I normally use a 308 rifle for hunting, but I am between rifles at the moment. What did I learn from this? People can be idiots, have no regard for safety, or respect for people hunting. Always keep gear on my person, bring a couple extra mags (you never know). And most of all, go hunting on rainy days during the week, which is what I usually do.

For the gear guys, this is what I had on my person.

Earth colored cloths, gloves, mesh on face and a ball cap.

Kifaru E&E
- Katadyn Pocket Filter
- 8x Nikon compact binos
- 8x Nikon range finder
- 3 Cliff Bars
- Orange hat
- Nalgene bottle
- Fallkniven F1
- 2 SHTF 30rd mags
- 1 5rd hunting mag
- Yaesu VX-7R
- Integrated electronic muffs (worked well)
- Rain Shell
- ITT Night Enforcer Gen III NV, GG&G quick detach mount
- Aimpoint T1 Micro, Larue mount
- AR-15
- iPhone

My brother and me had a similar experience during hunting season a few years back. We were up Rocky Point Rd just out of Scappoose. We hit the powerlines and some guys a few hundred yards away were fireing in our direction. My brother fired a shot into the ground after they didn't respond to our calling out and the guys went crazy shooting towards us. Contacted the police and it turned out that two of the guys were felons, the other had a warrant, and the firearms were stolen.
Next time don't hesitate to call in someone doing something stupid.

..I hate to be the only one to mention this, but why were you stalking them? The second group obviously knew you were there, and were definitely just target shooters with bad form. I see words like, "reckless, and "wildly," but really that second group was target shooting... The first guys were reckless, but those other guys didn't shoot at you, nad obviously thought you were gone even though you just snuck away to spy on them. I'd be weirded out as well if I found out some guy with an NVG optic was watching me for hours.

" I observed them pointing in my direction and talking. They pulled out a couple guns and walked down the road 40yds (away from me) and started shooting behind a small hill. I took this time, to remove my orange hat, and head up the hill so I could observe them from a different position. I could hear them shouting and shooting for a bit, walking back to the truck to get ammo and continue shooting carelessly. "

So, they see you and move to another place that's obviously because they don't want to be shooting at you..
You take off your blaze hat and go someplace where they don't know, even though they already showed no hostile intent. In fact, they did the responsible thing and shot ELSEWHERE.
..Carelessly shooting? How?

"Oh and the NV wasn't for the deer, just in case anyone was wondering. "
...for people? If not for deer, what were you out there for?

..I hate to be the only one to mention this, but why were you stalking them? The second group obviously knew you were there, and were definitely just target shooters with bad form. I see words like, "reckless, and "wildly," but really that second group was target shooting... The first guys were reckless, but those other guys didn't shoot at you, nad obviously thought you were gone even though you just snuck away to spy on them. I'd be weirded out as well if I found out some guy with an NVG optic was watching me for hours.

" I observed them pointing in my direction and talking. They pulled out a couple guns and walked down the road 40yds (away from me) and started shooting behind a small hill. I took this time, to remove my orange hat, and head up the hill so I could observe them from a different position. I could hear them shouting and shooting for a bit, walking back to the truck to get ammo and continue shooting carelessly. "

So, they see you and move to another place that's obviously because they don't want to be shooting at you..
You take off your blaze hat and go someplace where they don't know, even though they already showed no hostile intent. In fact, they did the responsible thing and shot ELSEWHERE.
..Carelessly shooting? How?

"Oh and the NV wasn't for the deer, just in case anyone was wondering. "
...for people? If not for deer, what were you out there for?

Umm yes, lots of rounds sent my direction, even though I was not visible, my vehicle was in plain sight and downrange. I was not using NV to spy on them, it was light. I was observing their body language, guns with binos, since they already showed a disregard for my safety by shooting in my direction. Shooting carelessly meaning they were sending rounds down in my direction and my vehicle was in plain sight in that same direction.

I had my NV because I was planning on being their until dark and testing a new mount with a few mags. Also was hoping to test some different lighting situations and distances. I do not get out as much as I would like with 4 kids, so anytime I get out, I like to test gear.

For me,round coming towards my vehicle can make rounds go from my vehicle.I wouldnt' do very good with someone shooting my direction ,while my truck is in plain site.

As for the second guys,they may not have liked the fact that you were watching them.After all they were just out in the woods too. But when they started looking your way ,talking and pointing,especially with children at home,don't you think it was time to just leave?
I mean you can't feed your children while you dead or in the emergency room. Doesn't matter if you were scared or not.Some times it's best to just call it a day.

Weird scenario you described. Had I been in your situation I'd have packed up and left. A simple walk and "hey guys" would've made the situation a little more obvious to all.

I wasn't sitting there in plain view starring with binos, even at 300yds. I have seen people looking at a vehicle / people with their rifle scope because they had no binos. Nobody knew the wiser, the point is there was a vehicle downrange (mine) and rounds were coming downrange towards my vehicle and my general location, both times. They knew someone was down range hunting, or had an orange cap on at the very least. Yet rounds were still sent my direction. If I felt it was safer to get back to my vehicle and drive down the very same road they were firing down, I would have "called it a day". I thought it best to get outta there on foot, and hope my vehicle was in one piece after they left.

I guess you just had to be there to appreciate it. As with anything this is the internet, I don't expect people to understand who weren't there. I just thought I would share that experience.

They pulled out a couple guns and walked down the road 40yds (away from me) and started shooting behind a small hill. I took this time, to remove my orange hat, and head up the hill so I could observe them from a different position.

rather than leaving, you followed them and started spying on them with a rifle. that would freak me out.

Since they were in my general hunting area, I was keeping tabs on them with my binoculars, not my rifle. I don't think it's unusual or unreasonable to keep tabs on someone who is now in your hunting area for safety reasons. After they came back and started shooting in my direction it got my attention.

sorry pal; but you make me nervous
Weird scenario you described. Had I been in your situation I'd have packed up and left. A simple walk and "hey guys" would've made the situation a little more obvious to all.
rather than leaving, you followed them and started spying on them with a rifle. that would freak me out.

Word.

Umm yes, lots of rounds sent my direction, even though I was not visible, my vehicle was in plain sight and downrange. I was not using NV to spy on them, it was light. I was observing their body language, guns with binos, since they already showed a disregard for my safety by shooting in my direction. Shooting carelessly meaning they were sending rounds down in my direction and my vehicle was in plain sight in that same direction.

I had my NV because I was planning on being their until dark and testing a new mount with a few mags. Also was hoping to test some different lighting situations and distances. I do not get out as much as I would like with 4 kids, so anytime I get out, I like to test gear.

Only the first group even remotely fired in your direction, which you observed leave the area. I addressed this, and I agree that they were stupid as all heck, but perhaps you should yell next time. Come on, a high volume, "CHECK FIRE!" is in order.
They obviously weren't firing ON you considering their behavior. They didn't see you, and the solution should have been obvious. You stayed in a dangerous situation and stalked them. That's very, very dangerous for you. You weren't just keeping tabs, you REMOVED visible clothing and moved to an overwatch position. That, sir, is not "just keeping tabs."

The second group specifically and deliberately went to shoot someplace else, out of view, and were clearly not associated with the other people. Did you not realize that this place is obviously a local shooting hole?

SKETCH.

I wasn't sitting there in plain view starring with binos, even at 300yds. I have seen people looking at a vehicle / people with their rifle scope because they had no binos. Nobody knew the wiser, the point is there was a vehicle downrange (mine) and rounds were coming downrange towards my vehicle and my general location, both times. They knew someone was down range hunting, or had an orange cap on at the very least. Yet rounds were still sent my direction. If I felt it was safer to get back to my vehicle and drive down the very same road they were firing down, I would have "called it a day". I thought it best to get outta there on foot, and hope my vehicle was in one piece after they left.

I guess you just had to be there to appreciate it. As with anything this is the internet, I don't expect people to understand who weren't there. I just thought I would share that experience.

Do you really believe that you were "just keeping tabs?" Hm.. Perhaps we did, but you sure gave us some details that clearly couldn't mean anything else.

For me,round coming towards my vehicle can make rounds go from my vehicle.I wouldnt' do very good with someone shooting my direction ,while my truck is in plain site.

As for the second guys,they may not have liked the fact that you were watching them.After all they were just out in the woods too. But when they started looking your way ,talking and pointing,especially with children at home,don't you think it was time to just leave?
I mean you can't feed your children while you dead or in the emergency room. Doesn't matter if you were scared or not.Some times it's best to just call it a day.

You didn't read the post completely. There were two groups of people. Only the second group started pointing (only this group saw him), and they specifically and deliberately shot someplace else away from the OP.

Charles you are not understanding the second group fired in my direction after making a return trip to their vehicle. No matter tho, like I said you had to have been there which you were not.

But that's ok, every forum has to have a Charles, you keep doing your thing if it makes you feel better.

I guess maybe you could have fired a shot into the ground a ways away from you to be sure they seen you or at least heard someone firing from the general direction you were. How can you be certain that they seen you? Not only is shooting in the direction of another person reckless it is attempted murder/ menacing at the least.

I guess maybe you could have fired a shot into the ground a ways away from you to be sure they seen you or at least heard someone firing from the general direction you were. How can you be certain that they seen you? Not only is shooting in the direction of another person reckless it is attempted murder/ menacing at the least.

When they first arrived I looked with my binos and saw them acknowledge by pointing. Then they walked down the road (away from me) and shot for about 15 minutes before returning to the vehicle to reload and then they started shooting towards my hunting area, my vehicle and in my direction. My vehicle was clearly visible, and they knew someone was in the area (around the vehicle). Although I was not visible to them anymore, they knew someone was that direction.

I did not leave because, it was a dead end road, I was at the end of it. They (both parties) were shooting in my direction. I felt I was better off staying put, obviously they were reckless idiots. I did not want to possibly provoke a bad situation even worse by firing rounds off. They already knew someone was there, and fired in that direction anyway. That told me that there is something wrong with them, or at least their common sense and disregard for safety.

Word.

Only the first group even remotely fired in your direction, which you observed leave the area. I addressed this, and I agree that they were stupid as all heck, but perhaps you should yell next time. Come on, a high volume, "CHECK FIRE!" is in order.
They obviously weren't firing ON you considering their behavior. They didn't see you, and the solution should have been obvious. You stayed in a dangerous situation and stalked them. That's very, very dangerous for you. You weren't just keeping tabs, you REMOVED visible clothing and moved to an overwatch position. That, sir, is not "just keeping tabs."

The second group specifically and deliberately went to shoot someplace else, out of view, and were clearly not associated with the other people. Did you not realize that this place is obviously a local shooting hole?

SKETCH.

Do you really believe that you were "just keeping tabs?" Hm.. Perhaps we did, but you sure gave us some details that clearly couldn't mean anything else.

You didn't read the post completely. There were two groups of people. Only the second group started pointing (only this group saw him), and they specifically and deliberately shot someplace else away from the OP.

Sorry,maybe YOU didn't read the entire post. Now go back and read the entire post.Maybe where is says "second set of people" or "as they load up again"

Just sayin

Any way the OP wants to spin it.
Now go tell the mother of your children this story.If she doesn't call you an IDIOT and ask why didn't you just GTFO of ther?,then I would question her ability to raise my children.

Sorry,maybe YOU didn't read the entire post. Now go back and read the entire post.Maybe where is says "second set of people" or "as they load up again"

Just sayin

Any way the OP wants to spin it.
Now go tell the mother of your children this story.If she doesn't call you an IDIOT and ask why didn't you just GTFO of ther?,then I would question her ability to raise my children.

I was under the impression that the first group left, but I must be wrong. I still hold by my main points, though.

But that's ok, every forum has to have a Charles, you keep doing your thing if it makes you feel better.

Ha, funny guy. Talking to you makes me feel a lot better, actually.

Magazines over 5 rds are prohibited as well as "Military Ammunition". You would have had to explain to a game warden that you were playing
Swat or Navy Seal and not hunting. Think that would have gone over?

Ya know? I'm just not sure what to make of this myself.

On one hand, I really don't like to be around unknown people when I'm hunting, either. Also, if they were firing in the direction of your vehicle, it would not make very good sense to head toward that vehicle to leave the area.

On the other, why remove the hat? Why then change position? Hmmm... That's the part I don't understand. I guess that could have been a good tactic if they were looking for trouble. Which I guess you were unsure of.

As far as being at the dead end of a road, that's not a place that I usually like to go. It is a common practice for guys that go out to shoot to head out to "where the road ends", and is also often a dumping ground.

Either way, I'm just glad it wasn't me in your shoes this time.

Magazines over 5 rds are prohibited as well as "Military Ammunition". You would have had to explain to a game warden that you were playing
Swat or Navy Seal and not hunting. Think that would have gone over?

If the mags were not in the gun I don't think it would be an issue, especially if the mag in the gun was a 5 rounder and contained the proper type of ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top