JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"For every 1,000 residents in Oregon, there are 11.4 guns. That's 44,811 registered firearms among 3,930,065 people."

what does "registered firearm" mean?

Good question. While we wait for an answer, I'll just say, I suspect the total number of ACTUAL firearms in the state of OR is probably just a tad higher o_O

I believe Wyoming certainly is #1. What I have trouble believing is that Montana is tied with Connecticut. In 25th place. :rolleyes:

Also I wonder if their numbers add up to 300 million guns. Their numbers seem very low.

"For every 1,000 residents in Oregon, there are 11.4 guns. That's 44,811 registered firearms among 3,930,065 people."

what does "registered firearm" mean?

It is a Bogus anti news article. There are more CHL's in Oregon than that.

Between 2011 and 2014, 46,655 permits to carry concealed firearms in the counties surrounding Portland were issued, according to data obtained by GoLocalPDX.

In Washington, Clackamas, and Multnomah Counties, there are a combined 64,308 active Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL), according to the most recent available data.

In Multnomah County alone, the number of active permits grew from 16,090 in 2011 to 22,875 in 2014. The number of permits grew more slowly in Washington County, from 14,339 in 2011 to 19,965 in 2014. Between 2011 and 2014, 23,347 CHL's were issued in Clackamas County.

See what a little research does? Makes you wonder why reporters don't actually research anymore.

The "Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect" is why I dont trust the media, even if an article supports my position

"Media carries with it a credibility that is totally undeserved. You have all experienced this, in what I call the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. (I call it by this name because I once discussed it with Murray Gell-Mann, and by dropping a famous name I imply greater importance to myself, and to the effect, than it would otherwise have.)

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect works as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward-reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story-and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read with renewed interest as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about far-off Palestine than it was about the story you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I'd point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all.

But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn't. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia."

http://seekerblog.com/2006/01/31/the-murray-gell-mann-amnesia-effect/

Well I was under the assumption that there was no registration of firearms in the US.
I guarantee that those numbers are way low......
I know NY has registration and pretty sure NJ does too. California? is that a real registration?
I'm sure there are other states that do cause some states check what ammo you buy

Well, if the state noted that I was buying 9mm ammo, and extrapolated that I had one 9mm handgun, they would be absolutely understating the number!

Same with most of my calibers, and probably the same for many of us.

OSP conducted 23k+ background checks in the month of October alone, so either people are buying in firearm futures, or those 44k "registered" firearms are getting bought and sold a whole bunch.:eek:

E

About the time someone I know got a CPL here in WA there were 390,000 plus CPLS in our state. That's about 1 in 10 schmoes walking down the street with heat.... rhyme intended. Personally, I think every transfer is a "registration" regardless of what the Feds, the local LEOS or the state might say.

Brutus Out

The "Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect" is why I dont trust the media, even if an article supports my position

"Media carries with it a credibility that is totally undeserved. You have all experienced this, in what I call the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. (I call it by this name because I once discussed it with Murray Gell-Mann, and by dropping a famous name I imply greater importance to myself, and to the effect, than it would otherwise have.)

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect works as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward-reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story-and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read with renewed interest as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about far-off Palestine than it was about the story you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I'd point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all.

But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn't. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia."

http://seekerblog.com/2006/01/31/the-murray-gell-mann-amnesia-effect/

Exactly why it's important to do further research or even fact-check a story before assuming you have the real story. I try to do my best to do that, though I do get sucked in from time to time. Many folks, sadly, can't or won't be bothered to verify the validity of a story - in a world where the most important thing is to be the first to comment or share or express outrage, there is precious little time for research.

Whenever math is involved, try to do a mental ballpark to see if the, no matter who derived the final result, makes sense. 1+1 does not equal -2. check

Exactly why it's important to do further research or even fact-check a story before assuming you have the real story. I try to do my best to do that, though I do get sucked in from time to time. Many folks, sadly, can't or won't be bothered to verify the validity of a story - in a world where the most important thing is to be the first to comment or share or express outrage, there is precious little time for research.

Agreed. There's absolutely no reason to get your news/information from anything other than the written word. Numerous sources. Books, magazines, websites. TV news, regardless of your political leanings, is propaganda.

Agreed. There's absolutely no reason to get your news/information from anything other than the written word. Numerous sources. Books, magazines, websites. TV news, regardless of your political leanings, is propaganda.

I have no problem using the MSM for my breaking news and leads on certain stories. If they're talking about it, then I probably want to know what they're saying. My opinions and decisions, however, will be informed by my own research and by talking to folks that are better informed on the issue than the typical journalism graduate. So I do believe the MSM has a place, just not the exalted place they see themselves in.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top