JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regarding post #20,
Hmmmm ... I think we are just going to have to disagree on old GW and his part in the Whiskey Rebellion. :)
That said I do like the man and what he did for our country.
But I will raise a glass of Knob Creek to you later tonight for knowing what I was referring too! :D
Andy

Last Edited:
Like I said... I'm not sure he made the right choice sending ANYBODY. It's that whole "look the other side in the eye" and "don't send your people to face dangers you won't share" thing.

My favorite fictional Presidents in movies tend to be the ones who when crap hits fan roll up sleeves and Go To Work themselves, like Harrison Ford in Air Force One and Bill Pullman in Independence Day. (Similarly, when my grandfather had been trying to mold me into a new LeMay, my planned first order as CINCSAC in prep for The Big One would've been "Vice, you take Looking Glass [airborne command post]... I'm going out to personally lead the mission" and whenever things went to DEFCON Two I would've redeployed myself to whichever base had the first B-52 scheduled into Russia after the launch order to make good on it. Then my eyes went bad and derailed a flying career...)

All well and good .... But the President , George Washington , in this case leading American troops against Americans .... Not liking it a bit all.
(He should have b!tch slapped Hamilton down for starting this war.. )

He was a great man and a excellent military commander who proved his personal bravely time and time again but ...
As I said we will just have to disagree. I feel he was wrong in doing this.
Cheers to all the history nerds here! :D
Andy

Last Edited:
Me, had I been him I still woulda rode out, but not with an entire army--a rather more modest force of a size better suited to an executive-protection role (say, equivalent to a heavy Secret Service detail today, just enough to say "we won't fire first but if you guys insist on doing so, sure you'll get me but you'll lose enough of you to make it not worthwhile") and saying "look, fellas, let's all set the irons down and talk about this."

Then I would've made sure to remind them of the role of the courts... "for now, this is law and has to be enforced. I suggest you sue Hamilton and get it overturned through the courts."

The problem is, if you ride out to try to make a deal every time some schmuck with a 'tude gins up an Angry Mob...

Eventually, somebody has to make the point that armed insurrection is simply not acceptable except in the gravest extreme.

The State of Jefferson's best chance is for California to vote to exit and Congress to recognize those counties that opposed the measure as loyalists and to grant them separate statehood like happened with West Virginia.

Some people think that California is too big, and this would be a chance to "cut them down to size." :cool:

Chance as in probability?

It will never happen.

For any state to secede the rest of the states (or at least a majority) would have to vote to allow it, and that won't happen for any state, especially California that has so much tech and produce and pays so much federal taxes. Just not politically possible, much less probable.

Dream on.:rolleyes:

Chance as in probability?

It will never happen.

For any state to secede the rest of the states (or at least a majority) would have to vote to allow it, and that won't happen for any state, especially California that has so much tech and produce and pays so much federal taxes. Just not politically possible, much less probable.

Dream on.:rolleyes:
Doesn't mean they can't or won't TRY... Please, PRETTY PLEASE, California, Give that whole South Carolina 1861 Armed Insurrection thing a go... I DARE YA. *evil, hungry-werewolf grin*

Heretic, research the history of West Virginia and you will see that when a state succeeds, that legislature is considered void and a new one can be elected in the "loyal" part of the state. If the Federal government recoginizes the "loyal" government, it represents the whole state and can approve of the division into two states. :rolleyes: As ususal, poilitics is a major factor in legality. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heretic, research the history of West Virginia and you will see that when a state succeeds, that legislature is considered void and a new one can be elected in the "loyal" part of the state. If the Federal government recoginizes the "loyal" government, it represents the whole state and can approve of the division into two states. :rolleyes: As ususal, poilitics is a major factor in legality. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Precisely my thinking... CA secedes, loyalist State of Jefferson become the de-facto legitimate California government and can partition as they see fit. Thinking maybe Jefferson, a new state of San Diego and the agricultural counties in the east, and reduce California to just a strip from SFO to LA.

Net result, California's Electoral and Congressional power cut down to more manageable size.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top