JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Part of owing and using a handgun for defense is being prepared and educated on how to properly use it. I have set up all kinds of tactical situations and drilled on them. I know exactly what weapon to use and what to do. This has to be completely second nature so that it is all automatic and immediate. No thought required, straight up muscle memory and reaction.

I was tested twice in the last year and my reaction was appropriate, correct and effective. I had to draw my weapon in both cases, but did not have to use it. I know there are various and numerous and reasonable reasons for storing guns in a secure safe. I have one, and long guns are stored there. Easily opened and everything inside is ready to use.

A gun in a safe is useless for an immediate defensive need. I have a weapon (or 2) on me pretty much every waking minute. I can reach over this laptop and pickup a 9mm and have it pointed on my front door, and back door. On my nightstand with an LED light. There are so many situations you can encounter in any day, setting up situations in which you ask yourself, " What would I do if ....???"

We have single person scenarios if we are by ourselves, if my wife and I are together has a team, if 2 of our dogs are available, if there is a unexpected knock on the door at night, we have a standard scenario for that as we live out in the country and have cameras too. You can never plan and train too much.

This is a problem I didnt think I'd ever have.

A few nights ago well after dark my daughter says she heard someone walking on the back deck. Well, the back yard is closed off with locked gates so if someone was back there they would be up to no good.

Wife says, "you better bring a gun if you are going back there" and I say "hell yeah Im bringing a gun":D

So I go over to the safe and here's the problem.

I had no idea what to grab. I stood there for a good minute trying to decide what to use.

Do I take the Kriss, Space gun with a tactical light and freakin lasers and 30 rounds of 45. But if its only a cat and the neighbors see me acting all tactical with a long gun in the back yard they are going to freak out.

Thought about taking the 60 year old Hi Power. That would be a cool story defending the house with a gun that was once used by the SAS.

Thought about taking 2 guns, just in case I needed to slide down the deck railing Hard Boiled style

View attachment 107993

Anyway, it was nothing. The neighbor was in his back yard making noise. (I really wasnt that worried)

Anyone else have that problem? possible home intruder and you cant decide which gun to use?

:D

You take the one that gets in your hand first and is loaded...................

I call this a BS thread!!!!

You honestly can't tell me that you "went to the safe" to get a gun, and "couldn't decide what to get"????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.

Come on.

After thinking about this for a few minutes b4 posting, I say;

BS POST!!!!

I actually carried one of these running perimeter security for the CINC of USAREUR/7th Army/NATO CENTAG in Heidelberg Germany. Never used the pig sticker though.

Big ol' trench guns scared the sheite outta Herman the German.

That 97 is one damned tough old shotgun. Was my first 12 ga.

Red Ryder BB gun cause the A-Holes making noise around my house are a small herd of raccoons that the wife thinks are having sex on our roof. I've hit a number of them multiple times in the but with it but they mostly just look at me like busted college students with that "who us" look on their faces.

If I didn't live in town and have neighbors in the backstop I'd be dropping them one by one until I got my raccoon recipe down pat with a .22 short and one of the long barrel single shots.

If its a real need for protection first I wouldn't leave the house. Second if I HAD TO it would be either the M1 carbine and my ready pack of 5) 15rd mags or the 20" Rem 870 Wingmaster with a 25 rd sling and a Coast LED flashlite.

My Mossberg 500 loaded with seven rounds of OO-buck is my first low/no-light home defense weapon. You can't beat a shotgun's effectiveness in the OP's scenerio.

Plus I don't care if it get's held indefinitely for "evidence", because I have two more EXACTLY like it sitting next to it in the closet gun safe. :rolleyes:

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Use the gun that you don't care is locked up in the evidence room for ... however long...

Well, I have 5 other defensive 12 GA's in the safe but I would hate to "lose" the KSG!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I call this a BS thread!!!!

You honestly can't tell me that you "went to the safe" to get a gun, and "couldn't decide what to get"????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.

Come on.

After thinking about this for a few minutes b4 posting, I say;

BS POST!!!!

Of course its a BS joke post. that's why I put it in off topic. You think I was actually planning on sliding down the deck rail on my back with two guns shooting away into the back yard?

I have a quick access safe with a Springfield XD that both my wife and I are competent using that is ready to go short notice.

But in this case, I had a good feeling no one was really on the deck and the wife told me to bring a gun. So I went over to the big safe. I still had trouble deciding what to bring and thought it was amusing that I actually had to think about which gun I wanted to bring because I now have too many :)

Interesting indeed. I suppose my choice would be a tie between a .45 and a shotgun.

We usually keep a few tools out in the house during afternoon/evening hours.. So for myself it's whatever is near by. I usually put away the longarm(s) before I head to bed but we keep the pistols out.

At night while sleeping, I keep the Glock-30 in the nightstand drawer next to me and keep the gun safe 5' away from me (with the shotguns) cracked open for fast access, then I close and lock it when I arise in the morning.

Ahhhhh.... The daily rituals one can have. o_O

With a kid in the house, I've got to keep anything I'm not physically carrying locked up, and I do carry at home, not necessarily 100% of the time (I still haven't found a waterproof holster for the shower). But that said, I've always got at least 2 pistols very quickly accessible in various locations in the house. In the OP scenario though, my Mossberg 500 would have been the first choice - I just don't have a quick access option for keeping it secured yet, so it's in the big safe.

Because we are so far away from people, I always have a 18.5" 870 with a +2 mag extension, chambered with the safety on in my living room corner and a 7mm-08 next to it(I truly never know if a cottontail, cougar, coyote or a member of the Klamath Tribes is my intruder or pest and must be prepared.). In the end table drawer is a 1911 in condition 1. In the bedroom is a .44mag SBH, loaded AK74 and a Savage MKII .22lr.

I truly am prepared to stop a turkey vulture from taking my chickens, a raiding party from taking the Mrs., a coyote(or cougar, though we rarely see more than a glimpse of them.) from making off with the boy and a cottontail from taking the strawberries or other vegetation.

BTW, should I end up knowing that an armed intruder is prowling outside my house, but closer than my Circle Of DeathTM(I don't want any of you other fella's calling your field of view "Circle Of Death", so I Trademarked it.), I would want nothing more than the 870. Of course, if they did get past my CODtm(which consists of alligator moats, punji stakes, pits full of Pit Vipers(what else would you put in your pit? Duh.) and outward facing double prison fences, I may very well be facing the guy sliding double-pistoled down the railing. WWCND(What Would Chuck Norris Do?)?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top