JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Felida subspecies. I honestly don't think I'd kill her, even if I could.

IMG_20231114_020132.jpg image.jpg

The Felida subspecies. I honestly don't think I'd kill her, even if I could.

View attachment 1788678 View attachment 1788679
By saying "felida" you are saying that that interesting critter is a cat. Is that what you meant to say?
Agreed, I woudnt kill it either! Unless I caught it with my chicken's feathers in it's mouth... a very interesting looking fox or whatever it is...

No, not a cat. Photo taken by my brother in law. He lives near felida (north of Vancouver) and has photographed this critter numerous times in his pasture.

It's much larger than a fox, but there are lots of coyotes in the area. Very close to the Ridgefield national wildlife refuge. I haven't seen any fox in the Ridgefield area for 50 years.

It's much larger than a fox, but there are lots of coyotes in the area. Very close to the Ridgefield national wildlife refuge. I haven't seen any fox in the Ridgefield area for 50 years.
It's definitely coyote/something. My guess is a domestic dog. We call them coydogs in our profession. It's more common than people think.

Yes, he sent me the the picture on the right several months ago and I also believe it's a shepherd/coyote hybrid. In the picture on the right, it's apparent she either ate a goat, or is preggers.
Beautiful animal! Why anyone would want to kill it, just for the sake of killing it, is beyond me. I was raised differently, I guess.
Thanx Dad!

Yes, he sent me the the picture on the right several months ago and I also believe it's a shepherd/coyote hybrid. In the picture on the right, it's apparent she either ate a goat, or is preggers.
Beautiful animal!
If you look at coyote chest and rear legs they have thin chest and upright rear legs. Shepherd has "squat" hindquarters and rounded chest. Both seem to also look like shepherd traits in the pic to my eye.

67B5CEE2-874F-4896-A955-893351DAF0CC.jpeg
5A438D19-BC74-4FA2-8875-AE6947DD5DF6.jpeg
B3A3B297-576E-4379-B6C4-7CBFC44A53BB.jpeg
Very interesting animal. Thx for posting that.

Last Edited:
Beautiful animal! Why anyone would want to kill it, just for the sake of killing it, is beyond me. I was raised differently, I guess.
Thanx Dad!
The coydogs I've killed have been some of the worst livestock killers in my area. There are no good coyotes in my opinion and those are just another type of coyote.

I like coyotes... Don't go out of my way to hunt them...that said I have hunted them before.
Mostly when they raided a friend's farm or ranch one too many times...as well as bringing all their friends to dinner.

I do wonder 'bout coydogs....as in do they "fear" man as much as a true coyote...or does the mix of dog make 'em less shy...
Granted I understand that experience and proximity to and with man will affect behavior.
Andy

I like coyotes... Don't go out of my way to hunt them...that said I have hunted them before.
Mostly when they raided a friend's farm or ranch one too many times...as well as bringing all their friends to dinner.

I do wonder 'bout coydogs....as in do they "fear" man as much as a true coyote...or does the mix of dog make 'em less shy...
Granted I understand that experience and proximity to and with man will affect behavior.
Andy
The ones I've delt with over the years have been bold and showed little fear. That being said they also seem smarter, they are the best of both worlds if that makes sence. I don't hunt coyotes either in my spare time. I problem solve, try to target specific animal causing damage and remove it. It can be Ike a chess game ×10. I've had coyotes responsible for 80+ dead lambs in one season. Given the chance all coyotes will kill livestock

Domestic dogs also are livestock killers. I know of one particular German Shepard who drove a sheep farmer to sell what remained of his flock. His neighbors denied that their loving Shepard was responsible, and in the days before game cameras, it could not be proven. The farmer spotted the dog often, but never could catch it in the act.

When domestic dogs gather into a pack, they are quite dangerous. The follow an aggressive leader, and develop a blood lust. They do not kill from hunger.

Domestic dogs also are livestock killers. I know of one particular German Shepard who drove a sheep farmer to sell what remained of his flock. His neighbors denied that their loving Shepard was responsible, and in the days before game cameras, it could not be proven. The farmer spotted the dog often, but never could catch it in the act.

When domestic dogs gather into a pack, they are quite dangerous. The follow an aggressive leader, and develop a blood lust. They do not kill from hunger.
Yes you are correct.....dogs can be far worse and cause much more damage. We don't see that much anymore, that being said I just had a call last week where 4 calves where killed and it ended up being dogs, possibly the gaurd dogs that where supposed to be protecting the livestock

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top