JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did you ever get the ODFW grant information I recently sent you?
Hi Mike,

I can't find it right now, but if it was the info about the Pittman-Robertson grant, I have that and applied for a 24k grant to finish the upgrades at Wolf Creek Rd shooting lanes in the Tillamook State Forest. ODFW administers that grant program and they suggested using state ODFW funds, for some of the materials needed, rather than the PR grant, (The federal grant requires an enviro study and cultural study that will cost way too much!). We're still awaiting a discussion.

Meanwhile, we're real close to closing the deal in the Santiam State Forest with one shooting range there. I did the NRA Foundation grant for 10k which covers the excavation contractor, ODF is providing a lot of gravel materials and jersey barriers (about 6k worth), and we're negotiating with ODFW state funds to cover the 1/4-#10 gravel for the impact berm (about 8k). No federal grant on this one. We'll probably need to do a volunteer fundraiser to finish the project, but it has to be done by October 31st.

Thanks!
Bill

Deleted!

The Trash No Land forum, "Public Land Target Shooters", has been deleted due to lack of participation.

This forum was to have been a place where target shooters can meet, communicate and collaborate on how to save their favorite places to shoot on public lands. It seems that those who signed on are only interested in lurking to hear of places to shoot and are not willing to participate in any conversations. Well if that's all you want, you can find public places to shoot on the Trash No Land home page on the interactive map, but this was to be a place where we could talk about what's going on and what we can do to make it better.

With all the thousands of places to shoot on public lands in Oregon and Washington, I would think most of you would be posting about what's going on in your neck of the woods and asking for help or ideas to keep it open. But with over 95 people in this group, no one has posted anything related to stewardship except me. Yet when I visit various forest areas, I see lots of places that are trashed and it makes target shooters look real bad! I can't organize cleanups in all forest areas, yet it needs to get done or we run the risk of loosing more good places to shoot. I had hoped some of those members would step up and start something in your area. I was willing to help all I could.

So from here, if you would like to start a stewardship program in your favorite forest, send an email to: [email protected], and we'll work that out.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may present. My thanks to those who did participate!

Stewardship KEEPS it open!

Stewardship SAVES our places to shoot!

Bill

Last week at an undisclosed when I posted it location as I don't want to advertise a personal favorite shooting spot.
I "organized" an empty Hefty bag and a magnet in the back of my pickup. It's not real complicated.

20210901_092113.jpg

Lots of issues with the site. Couldn't get notifications and it took forever for login to finally work. It was a noble attempt, but not up to par with this site for example.
Yep. Same issues with me. I think I overloaded it with too many plugins for doing various features and it bogged it down. Funny that you're the first one to say anything about it!

Oh well, sure was a huge learning curve for me! I'd never worked with Wordpress before, much less building a BBPress forum.

At least the main Trash No Land site works good (although I recently messed up a few things and now slowly restoring it).

Thanks for the feedback!

WA DNR to reopen Eastern public lands on Sept 16th, 2021...

WA DNR to Reopen East pubic land 9-16-21.png

"Get your gear together. We're reopening. DNR lands in eastern Washington will begin to reopen Sept. 16 for recreation, camping and hunting.

Please remember that a statewide burn ban remains in effect until Sept. 30."

Another Friday morning at the Upper Neal Creek Quarry. Another trailer load of garbage. The area, while heavily used by firearm owners, is getting more and more illegal dumping and public abuse of the resources up and down the road. While we got a lot of it out at the 2 quarries, the huge garbage dump was above my pay grade and I didn't have my pitch fork and hazmat suit.
The Weyerhaeuser pit where it is illegal to shoot had the rocks blocking the entrance moved and the shooting party commenced. A lot of shells, a few targets and a 12 pack of shot pop cans.
The dumping was turned into the authorities. Hopefully we don't lose this area to shoot.
20210911_165001.jpg IMG_4482.jpg IMG_4478.jpg IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4468.JPG IMG_4428.JPG IMG_4437.JPG

Another Friday morning at the Upper Neal Creek Quarry. Another trailer load of garbage. The area, while heavily used by firearm owners, is getting more and more illegal dumping and public abuse of the resources up and down the road. While we got a lot of it out at the 2 quarries, the huge garbage dump was above my pay grade and I didn't have my pitch fork and hazmat suit.
The Weyerhaeuser pit where it is illegal to shoot had the rocks blocking the entrance moved and the shooting party commenced. A lot of shells, a few targets and a 12 pack of shot pop cans.
The dumping was turned into the authorities. Hopefully we don't lose this area to shoot.
View attachment 1034024View attachment 1034023View attachment 1034022View attachment 1034021View attachment 1034020View attachment 1034019View attachment 1034018
Man! Every weekend trashed again! That county needs to lower their dump fees and this stuff will slow down. Throw in a couple night patrols each week would help! Boy, would I love to see some night vision photos.

You and Tracy did it again! Thanks you two! Looking forward to your weekend report!

Thats crazy, looks like some is simply illegal dumping. Can't believe people would do that but I kind of understand why:

we tried to dispose of a couch when we bought a new one...Rented a uhaul and went to the restore to donate it... couldnt take it cause it had a bed in it, that left us pretty dumbfounded since the couch was in pretty good condition. Then we drove to the recycle center, JUST closed. Did I mention that meanwhile they called because they were ready to deliver our new couch?We made a deal with the furniture store, they then disposed of it. But what else should you do???? I said to my wife "and THIS is why people dump this crap on the side of the road or in the woods". Not that I'd dump a couch in the forest but in this situation I seriously contemplated just leaving it at the gate of the recycle place.

Thats crazy, looks like some is simply illegal dumping. Can't believe people would do that but I kind of understand why:

we tried to dispose of a couch when we bought a new one...Rented a uhaul and went to the restore to donate it... couldnt take it cause it had a bed in it, that left us pretty dumbfounded since the couch was in pretty good condition. Then we drove to the recycle center, JUST closed. Did I mention that meanwhile they called because they were ready to deliver our new couch?We made a deal with the furniture store, they then disposed of it. But what else should you do???? I said to my wife "and THIS is why people dump this crap on the side of the road or in the woods". Not that I'd dump a couch in the forest but in this situation I seriously contemplated just leaving it at the gate of the recycle place.
This is what I predicted back when they opted to put the landfill way out in Arlington. Also, I believe that a number of transfere stations do not accept food garbage. Check around for the closest transfere site to your range mess and I'd bet you'd find they don't accept food garbage? Did you by chance dig a bit to see if there was any personal info in that mess?

Filthy bastids!

The dump and transfer stations take food scraps and most everything except tires and refrigerated appliances. It is 50 percent cost and time I feel and the rest is just good old fashion slobs and poop for brains that don't care about anything but themselves. Their house, if they live in one, probably looks the same. I didn't look at the mess in depth so don't know if there was any personal info.
Last group target shooting I tried to talk to last weekend up there good only muster some grunts between their cigarettes that I am sure made it to the ground for someone else to pick up.
Like everywhere else there is very little law enforcement given the acres to deputies vs the problems. They are trying.
We are going to make dinner at home and take it up their tonight for Date night just to see what goes on. Should be fun or at least interesting.

The dump and transfer stations take food scraps and most everything except tires and refrigerated appliances. It is 50 percent cost and time I feel and the rest is just good old fashion slobs and poop for brains that don't care about anything but themselves. Their house, if they live in one, probably looks the same. I didn't look at the mess in depth so don't know if there was any personal info.
Last group target shooting I tried to talk to last weekend up there good only muster some grunts between their cigarettes that I am sure made it to the ground for someone else to pick up.
Like everywhere else there is very little law enforcement given the acres to deputies vs the problems. They are trying.
We are going to make dinner at home and take it up their tonight for Date night just to see what goes on. Should be fun or at least interesting.
Thanks for all that you do !
Be careful up there !

Oh CRAIG, YOU REALLY KNOW HOW WOO A WOMAN!

I CAN TELL YOU'RE kind of disgusted. I don't blame you. Disgusted is my middle name these days. I hope you guys can keep the faith!
Trying to type on Wiley's tablet really sucks!

I was frustrated. Even told a buddy of mine who was listening said I was going to go do what everyone in this situation should go do. Go buy another gun or 2. I didn't but makes you feel good at least.

Depending on what the BLM manager and the Linn Co Sheriff's office says about the mess and investigation. I will see if they mind closing the quarry for a day and see if I can get some volunteers to go help clean it up.

Tracy is packing dinner already and has her flashlight and brass bucket ready. It will be fun. Might even see a deer or 2. She actually likes doing this stuff so I am lucky.
Enjoy!

Went hunting up Neal Creek this afternoon. Just about every area is bad. Interestingly just before the entry to the quarry here is this old blue Ford with racks on it with his tailgate backed over the edge full of what looked like yard debris in the back with the guy sitting in it. Pull off to go up the quarry road and sat there for a few minutes. Went on up and turned around and came back and he was gone. Went pass the Weyerhauser pit that is a no shooting pit. Had about 5 people shooting there. Turned up another road where I thought the dumper would go and sure enough he was there. Wife got pictures this time. We left and called it in. Came back later but nothing was dumped. Hope he got cold feet.
No deer but an interesting afternnon.

We broke ground on the improvements to a dispersed shooting place in the Santiam State Forest, East of Scotts Mills, Oregon.

It's an old decommissioned gravel quarry that shooters have been using for years, but now will receive attractive upgrades that will enhance public safety, lower the risk of wildfire, and provide a place where it's easy to comply with state target shooting rules.
We installed a temporary gate for construction, got a good start on excavating a mound of dirt that's in the way, picked up some wood chips for when we plant a few natives on the 30th, and enjoyed a peaceful camp out to help protect the equipment (We camp each night for the duration of the project. Let me know if you'd like to join the Security Detail Team to help!).

This part of the Santiam State Forest is closed to the public while ODF treats it from the recent fires. Lots of logging and contractor activity out there! We will be posting as soon as they open back up (not sure when that will be)!

Our contractor is George of G.V. Excavation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top