JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just learned yesterday that a nieghbor from across the street is heading to the sand box working for a private contractor that has something to do with computer systems. My question is this....I have known him for about 6 years and know for a fact that he has absolutely zero experience with any firearms. Not saying that he will see any so-called "combat" but if chit hits the fans for some reason and he has to protect himself, I know he does not know where the safety lever is on an AK. Should I invite him over and let him get some what familiar with the AK platform and the AR/M16 platform of rifles? I hope everything will be cool and he doesn't have to see any hairy stuff, but just in case? If he has to pick up a rifle over there, is he going to know what to do? Please give me your thoughts. He leaves in a week. Thanx

Well, if something happens, will his family find you at fault because you didn't train him "correctly?" Sorry, but in this society where everyone is so happy to sue everyone else...

He might also want to check with his employer to find out if they provide any training before he ships out...

I would definetly talk to him about it. If he doesn't want to then no harm done, But I would ask him about it without a doubt.

But chances are he will never touch a weapon over there. Even in a SHTF situation. If it was me, I would tell my employer, whether I have security forces protecting me or not, I WILL carry a handgun everywhere I go over there. Period.

No way I would go any where overseas without packing. My dad worked all over the world and he was able to carry a gun most of the time, and he had to wear a bullet proof vest in some places as well.

That would be my deal breaker.

maybe you should throw the ball in his court. ask him what he would do should the senario you described, happens. ask him if things went crazy and the security guy next to him was hit and down, would he pick up the security guys rifle or would he run and hide?.. if he sez pick up the rifle then ask him if he would like to see and have you explain the types of weapons he will be around over in a-stan and or, iraq. teach how to clear all the different types of malfunctions, how to combat reload, how to tactical reload. maybe show him how to actually hit something... heehee if his wife is hot, maybe not teach him anything...:s0087:

Of course you should. I can't see any logical reason you wouldn't at least give him the opportunity. Even if he doesn't need the info over there he will be better educated about guns in general and might become a new shooter (hopefully one that votes).

It could be that his employer does not want your neighbor armed. Early on in the Iraq war, I had an opportunity to go there under contract, to train Iraqi police. They were offering BIG BUCKS. Trouble was, they said that it would have to be an unarmed position. My response: "No way, Hose-A."

If they didn't want police trainers to be armed, I can imagine they also do not want computer nerds armed.

Good thoughts guys. I am not to sure now. My gut instinct is yes you should introduce him to at least the basics. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, people are funny dealing with grief if something were to happen, thus the liability issue mentioned above. Sooooooooooo......

I worked with a photographer who served in Viet Nam. On a particular mission he was issued a 38 revolver. It wasn't for shooting the bad guys.

Tell him at least if he gets issued a 38, he had better start asking A LOT of questions and get some basics from those who know while he is there.

Don't ever over look those bad guys like to remove heads with knives. I'd choose the 38.

You're not his employer, you aren't providing any sort of housing/transportation/security, you aren't supplying him with a weapon or ammunition. How could you possibly be held liable?

Give the man the option. 'hey, if your interested in a basic overview of the weapon systems typically used in the area in case of an emergency I'd be happy to spend an afternoon with you and you show you how they work'

You've got nothing to lose and there's a possiblity (okay winning the lotto might come first) you could save his life.

You don't say where he is posting, the "sand box" might be anything: he might be tucked away in the Green zone, which is most likely safer than New York City or Washington DC. I'd mention it to him but at the end of the day it's his call on what he wants to do.

If he weren't heading downrange soon, is he a friend you might take shooting anyway? If so, you're just dealing with a compressed schedule. And if you can't go turn money into noise between now and then, maybe just familiarize his eyes and hands with where the moving parts are and what they do. It's not your responsibility, but as a friend with access to some typical hand tools he might see while he's there...

Ask and let him decide.

Every time my NGuard buddy goes over there they send him to the east coast for some training.
I can't imagine they would send this guy out without some type of training.There is always a chance for some gun play,especially in Afghanistan.
Is there any such thing as a safe zone there?

I think you should go over the AR and an AK with him.Maybe the M9? and 1911. At least he could figure one out if needed.
I think you're a good neighbor for thinking of this.

I would absolutely offer to show him the basic functions of ARs and AKs, as well as semi auto pistols and revolvers. I'd also offer a range trip, or even a few of them if he's interested. The more he knows the more options he has to choose from should the SHTF. I'd feel really bad if something happened to the guy over there and I hadn't at least offered to show him basic operation. I also can't see any way possible you could be sued for trying to help him in good faith. Let us know how this goes!

If anybody was even attempting to file a lawsuit against you, you could just say you were out male bonding, had nothing to do with "training him" or "advising him on weapons" Just guys doing guy stuff.

I went over to a friend's house for the super bowl and gained a couple pounds from all the bad food, and I going to sue for him adversly effecting my health. Stupid

Seems like no harm in asking him if he would like to learn about some equipment. If he leaves in a week or so he must have had plenty of opportunity to learn what the situation is like where he is going. I'll bet it is a relatively safe assignment if he is not required to have military training.

I would believe that most contractors or companies know the risks over there and have adequate security forces for their guys.
Just not too bad of an idea to teach the guy a couple things.
Who knows,he may have a chance to do some shooting over there.Not like he would get in trouble shooting a gun out in the sand box.

OK guys, sorry for the delay in the update. On Friday afternoon we had a little chat. I offered him the chance to at least hold the rifles and show him where everything was and let him have a feel for things. He said that he really appreciated the offer but did not know what his employer was going to do yet. His security clearance has been delayed, of course, so he is not leaving right away. He will let me know if he wants to play. I at least feel better that I offered him the chance. He has a wife and 2 kids and I would not feel very good if he does not come home.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top