JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One interesting exemption that is provided for in Measure 114 and SB941 is this one:

(F) For the purpose of preventing imminent death or serious physical injury, and the provision lasts only as long as is necessary to prevent the death or serious physical injury.

Nobody wants to see somebody (especially a motivated seller) shoot themselves in the leg possibly causing themselves to bleed out and die. Imagine you meet up with the seller of a firearm and you like the firearm but unfortunately background checks have been halted, FFL is closed, FFL is charging too much, you forgot your permit to purchase, etc, so you decline to go through with purchasing the firearm. The seller is very disappointed because they needed the money and tells you that if you don't buy, take and maintain possession of the firearm for as long as they are alive that they are going to shoot themselves in the leg which would result in serious physical injury, possibly death of the seller. The seller says they will be checking to make sure you still possess the firearm for as long as they are alive. You remember that both Measure 114 and SB 941 provide an exemption to FFL transfers if the transfers are done for the purpose of preventing imminent death or serious physical injury. You decide to save the seller from serious physical injury or possible death and buy and maintain possession of the firearm. You did a good deed and you did it legally.

Another scenario might be that if somebody asked you to hold a firearm for them because they were very depressed, having thoughts of seriously injuring themselves, you could accept the firearm legally under the exemptions. Transferring the firearm back to this person would require that they complete a background check.

Last Edited:
One trouble with this "idea" is...

Now the seller has a black mark , so to speak , and could be seen as mentally unstable....
Which in turn , could make him unable to own the other firearms he does not wish to sell.

The OP is a bad idea.
Andy

One trouble with this "idea" is...

Now the seller has a black mark , so to speak , and could be seen as mentally unstable....
Which in turn , could make him unable to own the other firearms he does not wish to sell.

The OP is a bad idea.
Andy
That is possible but it would have to come to the attention of somebody who cares about issuing black marks.

That is possible but it would have to come to the attention of somebody who cares about issuing black marks.
To be blunt....
Your idea in your OP reminds me of the 3rd graders I deal with at recess...
Who will try anything to weasel out of getting into trouble , when caught breaking a school rule.

I stand by my statement of your idea in your OP is a bad one.
Andy

To be blunt....
Your idea in your OP reminds me of the 3rd graders I deal with at recess...
Who will try anything to weasel out of getting into trouble , when caught breaking a school rule.

I stand by my statement of your idea in your OP is a bad one.
Andy
Other members did not like my suggestion of using family member exemptions for transfers. It seems taking advantage of legal exemptions is somewhat unpopular around here.

Other members did not like my suggestion of using family member exemptions for transfers. It seems taking advantage of legal exemptions is somewhat unpopular around here.
You just don't seem to "get it".

I am talking about your OP , here in this thread...nothing else.

In any event....much like with 3rd graders...I don't argue , I just state what is what.
So I will leave you to your bad idea and thread.
Andy

One interesting exemption that is provided for in Measure 114 and SB941 is this one:

(F) For the purpose of preventing imminent death or serious physical injury, and the provision lasts only as long as is necessary to prevent the death or serious physical injury.

Nobody wants to see somebody (especially a motivated seller) shoot themselves in the leg possibly causing themselves to bleed out and die. Imagine you meet up with the seller of a firearm and you like the firearm but unfortunately background checks have been halted, FFL is closed, FFL is charging too much, you forgot your permit to purchase, etc, so you decline to go through with purchasing the firearm. The seller is very disappointed because they needed the money and tells you that if you don't buy, take and maintain possession of the firearm for as long as they are alive that they are going to shoot themselves in the leg which would result in serious physical injury, possibly death of the seller. The seller says they will be checking to make sure you still possess the firearm for as long as they are alive. You remember that both Measure 114 and SB 941 provide an exemption to FFL transfers if the transfers are done for the purpose of preventing imminent death or serious physical injury. You decide to save the seller from serious physical injury or possible death and buy and maintain possession of the firearm. You did a good deed and you did it legally.
But what if you've crossed the International Date Line?

I am not a legal expert but.... from the wording legal use of high cap mags are ok at the range and home/property so the incident should take place there !
I understand the term "exemption " to mean not an infraction given certain circumstances when it would otherwise not be permissible.
Hence an exemption for an illegal mag being used in a life or death situation

The "but my buddy was suicidal/homicidal when he transferred possession to me and I have to give it back when he's better" defense. Only applies if transferee's possession comes to attention of authorities, AND permitted if transferor is complying with a FAPA or some other court order and has to tell the DA what happened to transferor's firearms.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews