JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I have never had the need for a progressive as I have no need to load several hundred or more of the same load and caliber. I load small batches (100 or so) of multiple calibers , and more rifle than pistol which negates the need for a progressive even more.

I will admit about 10 years ago I was looking into a turret style press to augment my Rock Chucker but about this time a Bonanza Co Ax came my way (free gratis) and its advantages of the quick change die system and the universal shell holder really sped things up. That along with some other minor reloading accessory additions (hand primer for one) has really improved my reloading procedures.

Another thing I started doing was pre prepping brass in large quantities as a separate procedure so I keep it on hand for primer, powder & bullet when I am ready.

Just my opinion... I see all these great members talk about their progressive machine and how wonderful they are. Not taking ANYTHING away from them but it all depends on your reason to reload in as much as if you are doing volume in a couple of calibers, it's tough to beat.

In may particular case, I have been reloading since my father sat me down and showed me how with his old CH press, Ohaus powder scale, Lyman Ideal No.55 powder thrower, Hercules - Alcan- Scott powders and Herter's dies, Pacific dies and those crazy Rock Chucker Ballistic System (RCBS) dies.

I have loaded 10s of thousands of loads and a single stage system is what works for me simply because I have loaded literally over 150 different calibers/cartridges and need the ability to go from a 25 acp to 458 Win Mag easily.

Not throwing shade at anyone, just pointing out that some need the flexibility.

762x39 I started on a similar setup RCBS RockChucker 2 I bought new from Bi-Mart in 1988 as a 17yr old kid. My girlfriends Dad taught me how to load. I could never afford a progressive, heck I don't think I even heard about one until a few yrs later. (My internet was not all that great in 1988 ;))

Good ol' Dillon 550 is the perfect balance of performance, learning, and price point. It's not auto-indexing so it adds to the learning, its still 4 stations so it has performance and the price is just hard to beat. To this day I still have a D550 I use mainly for a precision rifle to seat and crimp as a 2 station progressive and for working up new loads for pistols before they go into the automated D1050s. Crazy quick to change out the inexpensive tool heads.

For those re: Dillon, here is an email I just got today from them today for parts for one of my D1050's (1050's officially DONT has a lifetime warranty, the only press they make that does not since they are considered a commercial machine), yet they are still Dillon and take care of you:

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 2.16.59 PM.png

762x39 I started on a similar setup RCBS RockChucker 2 I bought new from Bi-Mart in 1988 as a 17yr old kid. My girlfriends Dad taught me how to load. I could never afford a progressive, heck I don't think I even heard about one until a few yrs later. (My internet was not all that great in 1988 ;))

Good ol' Dillon 550 is the perfect balance of performance, learning, and price point. It's not auto-indexing so it adds to the learning, its still 4 stations so it has performance and the price is just hard to beat. To this day I still have a D550 I use mainly for a precision rifle to seat and crimp as a 2 station progressive and for working up new loads for pistols before they go into the automated D1050s. Crazy quick to change out the inexpensive tool heads.

For those re: Dillon, here is an email I just got today from them today for parts for one of my D1050's (1050's officially DONT has a lifetime warranty, the only press they make that does not since they are considered a commercial machine), yet they are still Dillon and take care of you:

View attachment 738246
I know what you mean. I have products from the '80 with RCBS that they replaced with no charge. I only had to get it to them. These parts were so old I almost was embarrassed to send them in.

I had one of RCBS first Green Machine in 38/357.... Could get rid of it fast enough!

Statement #1 - I have loaded literally over 150 different calibers/cartridges and need the ability to go from a 25 acp to 458 Win Mag easily.

Statement #2 Not throwing shade at anyone, just pointing out that some need the flexibility.

Response to statement #1. Whoopee for you, Sir.

Response to statement #2. Yes, you are.

Have you asked Ian McCullum of 'forgotten Weapons to visit with you and maybe make a Youtube movie? I'm sure the interest would be huge, since even in the USA having such an impressive selection of different calibres implies a collection of mammoth proportions.

Response to statement #1. Whoopee for you, Sir.

Response to statement #2. Yes, you are.

Have you asked Ian McCullum of 'forgotten Weapons to visit with you and maybe make a Youtube movie? I'm sure the interest would be huge, since even in the USA having such an impressive selection of different calibres implies a collection of mammoth proportions.

WOW! Passive-aggressive - I don't own the corresponding weapons to these calibers. In the '80's I owned a small company that specialized in re-manufacturing and new manufacturing of special purpose and obsolete ammunition. Of course it was Federally licensed. I worked with small stores, chain stores, small police departments as well as custom orders. I had a team of salesman and jobbers already in the wholesale sporting goods market representing my service. But that was then...

Trying to remain calm with your comments. Thanks for the thread-crapping.

Last Edited:
I don't own the corresponding weapons to these calibers. In the '80's I owned a small company that specialized in re-manufacturing and new manufacturing of special purpose and obsolete ammunition. Of course it was Federally licensed. I worded with small stores, chain stores, small police departments as well as custom orders. I have a team of salesman and jobbers already in the wholesale sporting goods market representing my service. But that was then...

Thank you for the clarification, Sir.

Just my opinion... I see all these great members talk about their progressive machine and how wonderful they are. Not taking ANYTHING away from them but it all depends on your reason to reload in as much as if you are doing volume in a couple of calibers, it's tough to beat.

In may particular case, I have been reloading since my father sat me down and showed me how with his old CH press, Ohaus powder scale, Lyman Ideal No.55 powder thrower, Hercules - Alcan- Scott powders and Herter's dies, Pacific dies and those crazy Rock Chucker Ballistic System (RCBS) dies.

I have loaded 10s of thousands of loads and a single stage system is what works for me simply because I have loaded literally over 150 different calibers/cartridges and need the ability to go from a 25 acp to 458 Win Mag easily.

If a hard workin', busy guy, shoots a lot (500-1000+/month?) then a progressive would be mandated. I'd still say there's a use for a single stage on the bench though.

Another thing I started doing was pre prepping brass in large quantities as a separate procedure so I keep it on hand for primer, powder & bullet when I am ready.

I started this ^ way, in 2011. The garage has the dirty brass in containers waiting to be cleaned. Once cleaned it comes into the loading room awaiting sizing/decapping/trimming. Once it goes through that it goes into containers marked W/caliber and "RTL". Doing it this way might be slower but I handle each individual case more. More chances to find funky cases too. I have the time, and enjoy the process, so there's that.

If a hard workin', busy guy, shoots a lot (500-1000+/month?) then a progressive would be mandated. I'd still say there's a use for a single stage on the bench though.

I started this ^ way, in 2011. The garage has the dirty brass in containers waiting to be cleaned. Once cleaned it comes into the loading room awaiting sizing/decapping/trimming. Once it goes through that it goes into containers marked W/caliber and "RTL". Doing it this way might be slower but I handle each individual case more. More chances to find funky cases too. I have the time, and enjoy the process, so there's that.

That's about what I do, but in my case it moves from one end of the bench to the other. :)

I have bins for various calibers on the wall behind the bench, labeled "RTL". Buckets with gamma lids to hold "clean, but not processed" while keeping dog fur out. Blue for 9mm, orange for .45ACP, and green for shotshell hulls.

I do enjoy this forum where like-minded people get together and chat.

I see my reloading hobby - then business - then back to hobby as a very o mage to my father who started out reloading after WWII using the bullets Speer and Hornady {when the were partners} swedged from spent 22 rim fir cartridges. Can't even glance at my bench, go to the range or walk by my gun cabnet {recently upgraded to meet the ever changing standards that liberals impose} without a warm glow for his thoughts.

69390073_10206217884163375_670786416036282368_n.jpg

I like my Redding T-7 Mainly for pistol cal.
I use. 3-BR powder throw off the press in loading blocks then seat , then taper crimp.
I also prime with a bench mounted primer seater.
old school and slow

Having a press you can run in single stage as well as a progressive is ideal. This is why I keep the old D550B around.

Finding funky cases:
With progressive loading pre-processing brass (deprime, size/undersize and roll forming) does this. Pesky .380 cases show up. Running 9mm this way.

Heck a batch of 5k .45 cases I ran I bought from a vendor ended up with a few 25 Auto, .380, 9mm and 10mm inside them! (Did not fall out in pre-wash like stuck in there I dont know how but inside the .45 cases) Pre processing sorted out the garbage.

Exactly,
I have posted my philosophy a few times before in other threads. There is handloading (what I do when I'm working up loads and for all my rifle loads, sans 223) and then there is reloading (conducted on my Dillons). With a wife that shoots as much or more than me and a couple of kids, I definitely needed to move some of my efforts into the pure reloading side.

I will say, that I am pretty mechanically proficient, so I have been able to solve a lot of the fiddly little issues one gets with a progressive, without having to call customer service. Someone who expected everything to work perfect out of the box with the press and casefeeder would be disappointed, not sure how that is with the Dillon, but I expect there are always issues with a complicated and intricate machine like a progressive press. ( Or a handgun, for that matter. )

You nailed it.

I thought I would lose my mind trying to decipher the instructions to set up my Dillon 550, much less what a 750 would be like. This was before YouTube. However, even now, things can get twitchy with any machine, and the more complex the more occasional maint or adjustment. Primer feeds get grit in them and start messing up. The main bearing needs grease every so often, depending on usage. And I read of hassles with casefeeders.

Well I'm a "great member"... lol.

I have both a progressive for bulk loading (200-300rds) of the pistol cartridges that I shoot a lot. I'm an action pistol competition shooter. And a single stage for rifle loads and pistol that I don't load a lot of, like .38Spec. I enjoy both, think both have their uses for diff people's purposes, but I did learn from my boss that had a Rock Chucker. As previously stated, I favor those learning to do it slowly on a single stage so that they have the utmost caution and control.

I use the case gauge and inspect pistol brass, then clean them, then resize, then clean primer pockets on brass that is due for that, then I like to go inside the house and sit in my easy chair and use a hand primer to prime all the brass while watching tv. Then to the bench again, then after all is finished, back inside the house to the easy chair for the final case gauge or plunk test.

For me, it comes down to money vs time. Times are estimates and could be way off. If you have all the time in the world, then there's no need to put lots of money into a progressive. However, it seems like if you spend a bit more money, you can be more productive if that means anything to you.
  1. Hand loader: 50 rounds/hr
  2. 550: 200/hr
  3. 650/750: 400/hr
  4. 1050/1100 6-800/hr

You nailed it.

I thought I would lose my mind trying to decipher the instructions to set up my Dillon 550, much less what a 750 would be like. This was before YouTube. However, even now, things can get twitchy with any machine, and the more complex the more occasional maint or adjustment. Primer feeds get grit in them and start messing up. The main bearing needs grease every so often, depending on usage. And I read of hassles with casefeeders.

#2 reason for pre-processing brass = ALL the mess of spent primers being removed, that gray dust that goes everywhere that clogs up moving parts are kept separate from the actual loading process. I pre-wash range brass w/o chips, then post-wash brass processing w/chips for squeaky clean brass for the actual loading. Heck, its so clean I have to put a little case lube on it to not stick on powder/drop case mouth expanding as it auto indexes! :eek::)

I use the case gauge and inspect pistol brass, then clean them, then resize, then clean primer pockets on brass that is due for that, then I like to go inside the house and sit in my easy chair and use a hand primer to prime all the brass while watching tv. Then to the bench again, then after all is finished, back inside the house to the easy chair for the final case gauge or plunk test.

I skip the case gauge at first but run 100% of auto fed cases though a case gauge post-loading for chamber and drop free checks. W/ roll forming auto brass, they basically all gage perfectly unless the brass is split or has a rolled lip. :cool:

Overall I love how we all have discovered what works for each of us. We each have our own processes we have evolved that work for us based on our environment, how we shoot, and what we shoot. But bottom line, we are all loading our own rounds and still shooting and that is a very good thing, my friends. ;)

:)

I skip the case gauge at first

Reason I started doing that is because sometimes I get my own pistol brass mixed with that of other shooters at an action pistol match where we have shooters pick up brass after each run and return it to the shooter. Because of that, some of the brass doesn't fit my chamber, even after sizing. It sucks to make the assumption that everything is good, run a bunch of rounds out, then the final check finds some loaded shells that just aren't going to work no matter what.

Rifle brass for my hunting or precise shooting I never have to worry about. But if I was picking .223 or 5.56, I sure would be checking/gauging it carefully before going to any effort with it. :)

My reloading gear - Rockchucker x 1 and Lee Turret press x 1, plus all the bits I feel are necessary to reload the seven centrefire calibres I still have.

Without any kind of centrefire semi-auto, I don't need any kind of high-volume cranking'em-out machinery - my days of police pistol and IPSC are long ago and far away, thanks to your favourite Brit politician, Tony B Liar. I used to regularly get through 800 rounds of .38 Spec in .357 Mag cases every week, sometimes more, but all I have now is a small mountain of around ten thousand 158gr SWC bullets that I'm slowly getting through, as and when.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top