JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have no experience with the Hornady machine, I'm sure a lot of people who have them love them, but I have a Dillon 550.

I started on a RCBS single stage and after I figuratively cut my teeth on that, moved to the Dillon 550 - not a day goes by that I don't love the 550, for my needs, it is perfect. You can reload just about any caliber on it and switching between them is SUPER easy if you get a few extra tool heads set up with their extra powder measures. Once you get more into it ultimately you will likely want a tool head set up for each caliber you shoot and then it's about a 5 minute or less operation to switch completely between calibers and start loading again. What a lot of Dillon people do is actually own two 550's and leave one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers, but really that is just a matter of convenience, 1 550 is already an ammo plant by itself.

Of course there are set ups that auto index, that's neat, but the manual index works better for my needs. Using a progressive press is what makes reloading not so time sucking. I did about 100 9mm this morning in under 30 minutes and I was not moving very fast.

Of course there are set ups that auto index, that's neat, but the manual index works better for my needs. Using a progressive press is what makes reloading not so time sucking. I did about 100 9mm this morning in under 30 minutes and I was not moving very fast.

This is gonna be very much appreciated after going singe stage

i reloded for almost 10 years on a jr2 rcbs press. finally got a hornady lnl ap. i love it for bulk pistol calibers and bulk 5.56/300blk. i still use the jr2 for more precise stuff like 6.5 grendel, 308 win, 30-06, 300wm.

I don't have the progressive LNL, but I do have a LNL Powder Measure - I set it and forget it. Getting the Micrometer lets you quickly adjust back to another load. When I fill it up, I tap it a bit so it settles, run a few loads through it. Verify and adjust the weight. Once set I usually get either spot on, or +-.1 every so many drops. I'm pretty new as well, and use a single stage. I'm not convinced that I need to pump out 500+ rounds an hour yet :) of course the days of a case of 9mm for $175 shipped are probably lost forever.

OK, so that's not the measure that uses the preset disks... it has fully adjustable micrometers that can be swapped out so one's setting for diff calibers can be maintained. I like that.

Why do you recommend Dillon? I saw the link those kits are sweet

As shared, Dillon takes care of the customers no questions ask. Also, the ONLY Dillon press I ever sold (extra 550B) sold USED for more than I paid for it as it went up in value. i.e. they hold their value.

Mudflat Mike has a couple of Dillion 650 presses for sale plus a bunch of reloading stuff. Just bought some stuff from him on Monday.

A used 650xl would be great press to start with. Tons of videos out there to watch. If you have any buddies that reload have them help you set the press up. + even though you bought it USED Dillon will back you 100% on a 650. Again whey allot of us are Dillon Fan Boys. (There I said it, I am a fanboy of Dillon)

NOTE: Keep an eye out for Powder that you want to reload with. It's still out there, the high demand ones not so much. But there is powder out there. Same goes for that 1k in primers. Your going to want a few more so keep the eye out for more.

Yeah, there is another one - maybe by Lee? that uses the disks, that does seem like a bit of work.

I think they are at a good price point comparatively, but why bother if I can't get the "perfect" drop that I need. I have a set of Lee powder spoons and I could just use those to get close... in other words, I don't see the disks as helping streamline the process.

I love my LnL, it works really well for my need to switch between several handgun calibers, without a lot of extra money for toolheads. The things I like are that since I pre process my brass on the press, I can set it up with whichever dies I want in each station; in effect it gives me a lot more flexibility than other presses seem to offer. If I were one to go from fired casing to loaded round in one trip through the machine, the Dillon would be a better choice. I will say, that I am pretty mechanically proficient, so I have been able to solve a lot of the fiddly little issues one gets with a progressive, without having to call customer service. Someone who expected everything to work perfect out of the box with the press and casefeeder would be disappointed, not sure how that is with the Dillon, but I expect there are always issues with a complicated and intricate machine like a progressive press. ( Or a handgun, for that matter. )

I have used a LnL AP for a decade because it's accurate and fast for pistol ammo. It works great for me! Like others have said, for precision rifle I'd use a single stage. If you get the AP I suggest not to start with smaller calibers.

For me, it is easier to handle bigger cases, and to visually double check that powder is about to the right level in the case before seating bullets. I use the LnL powder measure in the AP which saves some time and is very accurate. I started with 44 mag lighter loads and spent lots of time double checking everything.

Reloading is fun but can be a bit of work prep'ing cases, and is rewarding when you find that most accurate load for your firearm...highly recommended. :)

I have no experience with the Hornady machine, I'm sure a lot of people who have them love them, but I have a Dillon 550.

I started on a RCBS single stage and after I figuratively cut my teeth on that, moved to the Dillon 550 - not a day goes by that I don't love the 550, for my needs, it is perfect. You can reload just about any caliber on it and switching between them is SUPER easy if you get a few extra tool heads set up with their extra powder measures. Once you get more into it ultimately you will likely want a tool head set up for each caliber you shoot and then it's about a 5 minute or less operation to switch completely between calibers and start loading again. What a lot of Dillon people do is actually own two 550's and leave one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers, but really that is just a matter of convenience, 1 550 is already an ammo plant by itself.

The 550 suites me as well. It functions as a single stage and manual indexing is fine for me since I don't frequently reload in large quantities. What is great about it and most of the Dillon presses is the swappable tool heads, Once your dies are set up you never need to so it again unless you replace one. Prevents mistakes and makes it easy.

Bought mine in the 1980's and a few years ago decided to upgrade it. When I placed my order the person I spoke to on the phone not only helped me bundle my purchase to save money they threw in some other replacement parts for free.

I don't think there are any real bad presses out there, but I would be more careful selecting a progressive as opposed to a single stage. I notice flex and slop in some of them (can't keep my hands in my pocket at the store) that probably won't affect anything, but the Dillons have zero flex

Get the Dillon XL750 my friend. It's my first press, just started about 10 months ago. Best choice I've ever made. After that, when you wanna buy parts for a new caliber(caliber conversion kit, dies, tool head, etc.) buy from Scheels. They ship way faster, and it's free.

Get the Dillon XL750 my friend. It's my first press, just started about 10 months ago. Best choice I've ever made. After that, when you wanna buy parts for a new caliber(caliber conversion kit, dies, tool head, etc.) buy from Scheels. They ship way faster, and it's free.

Reminds me, if you are in the Portland area you can order through Curt's and shipping to the store is free as well.

Just my opinion... I see all these great members talk about their progressive machine and how wonderful they are. Not taking ANYTHING away from them but it all depends on your reason to reload in as much as if you are doing volume in a couple of calibers, it's tough to beat.

In my particular case, I have been reloading since my father sat me down and showed me how with his old CH press, Ohaus powder scale, Lyman Ideal No.55 powder thrower, Hercules - Alcan- Scott powders and Herter's dies, Pacific dies and those crazy Rock Chucker Ballistic System (RCBS) dies.

I have loaded 10s of thousands of loads and a single stage system is what works for me simply because I have loaded literally over 150 different calibers/cartridges and need the ability to go from a 25 acp to 458 Win Mag easily.

Not throwing shade at anyone, just pointing out that some need the flexibility.

Last Edited:
Just my opinion... I see all these great members talk about their progressive machine and how wonderful they are. Not taking ANYTHING away from them but it all depends on your reason to reload in as much as if you are doing volume in a couple of calibers, it's tough to beat.

In may particular case, I have been reloading since my father sat me down and showed me how with his old CH press, Ohaus powder scale, Lyman Ideal No.55 powder thrower, Hercules - Alcan- Scott powders and these crazy Rock Chucker Ballistic System (RCBS) dies.

I have loaded 10s of thousands of loads and a single stage system is what works for me simply because I have loaded literally over 150 different calibers/cartridges and need the ability to go from a 25 acp to 458 Win Mag easily.

Not throwing shade at anyone, just pointing out that some need the flexibility.
Definitely understand where you are coming from. I should've started on a single stage press to be honest. But my thoughts were at the time, I could always just do one at a time on a progressive, and then work my way up. Which is exactly what I did. I do however appreciate the consistency a single stage gives you. When I'm loading full progressive, I get up to a 5 thousandths variation.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews