JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was meandering through sportsmans warehouse looking for 7.62x39 a couple days back. They of course did not have any but the gentleman there asked are you looking for small rifle primers?

I said sure, and bought 1k small rifle primers. Now I don't have a reloading set up at all, but have long wanted one. The press that I would like is the hornady lock n load ap progressive press. What are peoples thoughts on those and where is a good place to buy one?

I was meandering through sportsmans warehouse looking for 7.62x39 a couple days back. They of course did not have any but the gentleman there asked are you looking for small rifle primers?

I said sure, and bought 1k small rifle primers. Now I don't have a reloading set up at all, but have long wanted one. The press that I would like is the hornady lock n load ap progressive press. What are peoples thoughts on those and where is a good place to buy one?

bullet reloading

No idea whatsoever on where to buy one these days. Like them, have 2.

Great place to start is in the reloading section on here, with a reloading manual, and also YouTube.

Youtuber 76highboy has a bunch of great tips and tricks videos specific to the Hornady Locknload. Maybe give a few a look, BEFORE comitting to that press?

No idea whatsoever on where to buy one these days. Like them, have 2.

Great place to start is in the reloading section on here, with a reloading manual, and also YouTube.

Youtuber 76highboy has a bunch of great tips and tricks videos specific to the Hornady Locknload. Maybe give a few a look, BEFORE comitting to that press?

Go Blue... Always!!! ;):)

Why do you recommend Dillon? I saw the link those kits are sweet

IMO Dillon has the top quality products in terms of materials and workmanship. Their loaders are built strong and sturdy. And their support is top notch... anytime I accidentally f'd up a part on my RL550B, they replaced it free of charge with no questions asked.

I love the way my RL550 works. It's a hybrid machine that is faster than a single stage, but still puts out one completed round with every stroke. The manual indexing allows for complete control over the process, ie, the cartridge doesn't advance unless YOU want it to, not the machine. That said, people that have the 650 and above (auto indexing) love them too.

IMO Dillon has the top quality products in terms of materials and workmanship. Their loaders are built strong and sturdy. And their support is top notch... anytime I accidentally f'd up a part on my RL550B, they replaced it free of charge with no questions asked.

I love the way my RL550 works. It's a hybrid machine that is faster than a single stage, but still puts out one completed round with every stroke. The manual indexing allows for complete control over the process, ie, the cartridge doesn't advance unless YOU want it to, not the machine. That said, people that have the 650 and above (auto indexing) love them too.

I will buy one then. I have always heard good things about Dillon. The temptation to bust out the credit card is hard to resist

I have not used the Hornady so can't comment with any bonafides. Have been using a single stage press since early 1980's and once the Rona hit, grabbed two Dillons, a 750 and a Square Deal. Have the SD set up for 45 auto and leave it that way. The 750 if for 9mm mostly but also .223 and 38 special. Love them. Sure the Hornady is similar and here many on the forum like theirs. 550 users like @bbbass always seem to like their machines as well.

At this point I would continue to be "that guy" and pick up components when you find them. Grab a loading manual or two and watch some aforementioned videos so you have a little better idea what to keep an eye out for. (Pro tip: small pistol primers are currently worth more than gold)

Welcome to reloading!!!

I'll be sure to reload the spent steel cases from my AK then. The dented in steel case is actually preffered right?
Dude, he's joking about the not reloading of brass.

It can be done but steel cases are NOT recommended for reloading - and what do you mean by 'dented in' ?

I recommend you start studying up on reloading and get an idea of the basics before buying anything.

So I've been learning to reload over the last year or so.

I'm glad I took the sage advice I was given and started slow with an RCBS rock chucker. It's single stage and slow, but it's highly intentional process.

In the next 6 months or so, I plan to move to progressive, but I'm confident that the failures and issues I've overcome at this stage will make the transition much more enjoyable.

I have a junior press I'd let you borrow too if you wanted to do some basics

And save your brass! I had been for years and I'm so thankful I'm sitting on thousands and thousands of casings that I'm proccesing through a pair of tumblers

I will buy one then. I have always heard good things about Dillon. The temptation to bust out the credit card is hard to resist

IMO, It would be worthwhile for you to make an informed decision... if going to reload multiple calibers and interested in fast changeovers between calibers, the pieces to do that are more expensive with Dillon than they are with the LockNLoad. That makes the Dillon more of a Cadillac level purchase.

Note: I started out on a single stage RCBS Jr and was still using it for rifle dies until I inherited a Lee Turret. Simple is a good way to learn.

Last Edited:

I'm glad I took the sage advice I was given and started slow with an RCBS rock chucker. It's single stage and slow, but it's highly intentional process.

In the next 6 months or so, I plan to move to progressive, but I'm confident that the failures and issues I've overcome at this stage will make the transition much more enjoyable.

And save your brass! I had been for years and I'm so thankful I'm sitting on thousands and thousands of casings that I'm proccesing through a pair of tumblers

^^^ THIS ^^^

^^^ THIS ^^^
Ditto the above and one of these before anything:

download.jpg

The one thing I will say is that the LockNLoad apparently uses the powder metering inserts, which make it harder to be precise with the powder measure. I always custom weigh and fill my rifle brass, but for pistol I really want to be able to rock and roll w/o weighing each load. On the LockNLoad measure, it could be hard to find the right insert for the amount of powder the manual calls for, resulting in having to hand weigh each load if wanting accuracy, defeating the purpose of a powder measure being able to quickly throw powder charge and only checking them every so often.

Maybe a LockNLoad user could "weigh in" on this???

(Edit: it was a Lee powder measure with the discs that I was thinking here. Sorry to confuse!! The "inserts" the LNL uses are so that you can quick change your micrometer and keep the setting... allowing diff throw weights with a quick change for loads that you often use!)

Last Edited:
I don't have the progressive LNL, but I do have a LNL Powder Measure - I set it and forget it. Getting the Micrometer lets you quickly adjust back to another load. When I fill it up, I tap it a bit so it settles, run a few loads through it. Verify and adjust the weight. Once set I usually get either spot on, or +-.1 every so many drops. I'm pretty new as well, and use a single stage. I'm not convinced that I need to pump out 500+ rounds an hour yet :) of course the days of a case of 9mm for $175 shipped are probably lost forever.

Mudflat Mike has a couple of Dillion 650 presses for sale plus a bunch of reloading stuff . Just bought some stuff from him on Monday.
Are those the 650xl? Thats the only thing I could find when I Googled dillon 650. What did it run you?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews