JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a G26 barrel, it's a cheap one. Fired it for accuracy and it's not great so I looked inside and it was stripping the coating off my bullets and leading up. Cleaned it out and noticed the muzzle has what seem to be grooves left by a tool in the rifling there. Messaged the distributor and they had me send it in and sent out a new one. Before I even installed it, I cleaned the bore and it's got the same grooves! Am I expecting to much? In this day of CNC machining I don't know if they still crown the barrel with a tool that has a guide that fits down the bore or not, but it looks like something was used like that and it was not clean (abrasive) and slightly tapered the rifling and left grooves. What do you all think?

20211112_103640.jpg 20211112_103614.jpg 20211112_103609.jpg

Two questions.

What brand?

How cheap?
Part of a Patmos build kit, so now you know about as much about the brand and cost as I do. I'm sure if the barrel was sold alone it'd be sub $100.

What was wrong with the glock barrel?
Never had a Glock barrel.

Polygonal rifling causes cancer?
Let's hope not, no OEM barrel for this gun but I do have an OEM barrel for another non OEM gun.

It's called chattering. It happens when the rifling tool is getting dull and the manufacturer is trying to get as many barrels out of it as possible before replacing. The entire lot the seller has is likely affected. Get a refund and buy a different barrel.

It's called chattering. It happens when the rifling tool is getting dull and the manufacturer is trying to get as many barrels out of it as possible before replacing. The entire lot the seller has is likely affected. Get a refund and buy a different barrel.
That seems like it would effect the entire bore though wouldn't it? This is only in the first 1/2"-3/4" and looks like it's slightly tapered outward towards the muzzle.

Talked to a fellow down on the coast that made and sold chamber readers to all the gun companies. He built guns too and his machine shop was extraordinary.

In conversation he explained that each company has plus and minus tolerance for use of a reamer. The size of a chamber is reflected by how many chambers the tool has been used on.

Good machinist dont let crap out of their shop.

The barrel does not appear to be hammer forged.
The markings on the case look to be caused by the chattering which @drstrangelove mentioned - the reamer was dull. In a shop full of CNC machines, you cannot hear it, whereas a machinist standing over his machine could and would have done something. The feedback in the CNC machine can tell too, but they may not use those signals or it was not programmed to do anything about it.
As far as your rifling, seems the broach was also dull.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews