JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have a small high-precision manufacturing concern here in Salem near the airport. If we built guns instead of aircraft parts I would be running three shifts and snatching up all the employees from another large shop in West Salem that just announced it was closing. My niche would be having product in stock for purchase, as nobody else can seem to keep anything on the shelf longer than a few hours.

What would a bolt action do that a semi auto won't? I know, there are obvious answers to rifle calibers but for pistol calibers it's not the same. I like the PCC offerings out now and am just curious why you would want to see something just like that but in BA?
They suppress nicely.
Ah shoot. I didn't think of that at all! @Reno I take my question back!! :D
It is certainly a niche market, geared towards those that like quiet things. However, some caliber could totally fill hunting roles as well. I imagine in ban states they might do well too.

I've mocked up a few things in solid works a couple of years. I'd love to have a capable shop, as well as a decade's or two worth of knowledge, to see a few come to light.

It is certainly a niche market, geared towards those that like quiet things. However, some caliber could totally fill hunting roles as well. I imagine in ban states they might do well too.

I've mocked up a few things in solid works a couple of years. I'd love to have a capable shop, as well as a decade's or two worth of knowledge, to see a few come to light.

10mm, 44 mag. Those would be great!

10mm, 44 mag. Those would be great!

I really like our Ruger 77/44 in .44 Magnum. It is threaded for a can and once the feds approve said, it will be run quiet. :)

rifle-77counterrevolution-jpg.666150

That's a beauty. I know there are rifles out there like your specimen, but @Reno has an interesting twist on it. :)
I believe there is definitely a market for something of that nature. There are a few here and their. My thought would be a line of rifles based around a similar action and components that could accept magazines commonly in use, probably Glock as everyone lives Glock mag PCCs. A few miscellaneous mags for odd calibers.

If an insert could be made, like the Ruger PCC did, you would not even have to machine separate receivers. Machine the bolt so the face can be swapped to fit various case heads. Additional points for using common components such as Remington 700 triggers or even AR15 triggers sets (though that means a firing pin vs striker like most bolt actions)

All while keeping it around $600.

I'ma very patient person when it comes to the firearms industry. You'll see stuff pop up here and there, some plop, some succeed.

If really love to see Ruger bring back a few designs with more modern twists like they did with the PCC.

Great topic, @CountryGent! I would design a simple blowback subgun-style pistol (i.e. UMP, MPX, APC, etc) that uses an AR FCG and grip section and features interchangeable magwells designed for common pistol mags (Glock, Sig, Beretta, XD/XDm, etc). Manufacturing variants would be much easier since you would only have to design the weapon in a given caliber once - everything after that is designing new magwells to expand the market for that caliber, and enables you to offer the weapon at a reasonable pricepoint (ideally under $700).

I would do the initial run with those 4 brands, then use a pre-order system to fund development of alternate magwells, and probably seek strategic partnerships with other pistol manufacturers to further increase potential sales and share development costs.

Using the AR FCG and grip allows users to customize with triggers and ergonomics that fit their needs, but with a design similar to the mpx/ump/apc you avoid having the extra length the AR platform's buffer tube makes you put up with. Yes, pistol caliber subguns is a niche market, but if someone with a lesser known sidearm could own a PDW that takes the same mags without breaking the bank, you can bet a good chunk of them would do it.

I would make them in 9 and 45 to start, then branch to .40, .357 sig, 10mm, and 5.7mm as interest broadens, and finally crank the knob to 11 by doing a magnum series in .357, .44, and .50AE for those folks who own Desert Eagles... because anything worth doing is worth doing bigger.

That's my $0.02. i know it's just a mental exercise, but if anyone is interested in actually developing this concept with me, hit me up. I've already got the inital designs roughed out, just haven't had time to mock them up in CAD yet. Picked up a 3d printer, so will probably start working on it sometime soon.

Martini-Henry (yes I know it is really a Peabody, but much like the M1 Rifle was designed by Smedley, you know, the guy who sued the US Gov't because John Garand stole his only working model after John was hired to refine it. The gov kept in court until Smedley died. Besides, you would rather have a "Garand" instead of a "Smedley" any day), in the two sizes, and built light. Weight appropriate to cartridge anyway. Stocked for woods loafing, hunting, and plinking. NO beavertail forearms, rollover cheek pieces, thumbholes.

A rolling block small action in .45 ACP, .32 H&R/Ruger, .357 Mag that weighs about 4 or 5 pounds, NOT 8 1/2 lbs!! Or yeah, a T/C Contender with decent weight 16" barrels in those cartridges, that doesn't weigh a ton, or cost as much as a new T/C Compass. Stocked to carry all day (see above) for woods loafing and plinking.

A nice, fairly light .45 ACP DA revolver with 5" barrel, decent grips, that doesn't weigh a ton or cost as much as a new car. Maybe with an extra .45 Colt cylinder. For hiking, self-defense.

Bring back the H&R Handi-Rifle with interchangeable barrels.

A bolt action .45 ACP/.38 Super light rifle that has adapters for 1911/Glock mags. Stocked for carrying, woods loafing, plinking, fun shooting.

Ithaca used to specialize in taking old, expired patents, and refining them into new/better guns. Like the Remington M10/17 and turning it into the Model 30, which they then had to bring out in 1937, in the middle of a recession, because Remington had added a slight change and parented the change, so Ithaca had to wait for that patent to expire too.

A kit/trail pistol resembling the Baby Nambu.
> Straight blowback
> Interchangeable calibers: .22LR, .32ACP, .380ACP, .25 and .32NAA, and maybe 9mm Mak.
> Fire control group a modular unit ala the Tokarev
> Designed for ease of manufacture on CNC machinery

A M1 Carbine in 10mm would be a handy little woods companion.

Though if I could do anything, I'd love to be working on the next generation squad weapons for the military. The hybrid metal/plastic cased 6.8mm is fascinating.

1598973103291.jpeg

10MM blow back , Ace carbon fiber/steel perforated lined recoil tube
butstock tube to feed; no magazine under action. sleek 16" bbl.
So it would have a double tube stock, one smaller to feed 10MM
Another tube (opional) under feed tube to pivot down and around to line up with
feeding tube magazine. 180 degree pivot.
Circlular action / bolt.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads