JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have had plantar F-ing sucks for 13 years. And I know how finding shoes that are (right) is damn hard. After years of research I just might of found the answer. Google Altra shoes.
The key to deal with plantar is to have a shoe that's level on the bottom. Meaning the ball and heal area are the same thickness in the shoe.
Look them up!
I like mine so far.

I love Altra's - they are all I wear. Great for big wide feet too. The zero-drop may stretch out your calves at first but I haven't ever had a more comfortable pair of shoes.

I also have bad feet.
Will have to check Altra's out.
The best shoes I have found are made by Arrow Moccasins.
I have two of the Lace Boot style.
The double sole option works real well even in wet or rocky areas.
Andy

These guys make tennis shoes and trail tennis shoes. In regards to mountain walking, for hunting maybe, the stiffer the sole the better.
Get kenetrek
Or Oslo

My wife had that issue.

Just a couple weeks before we took our kid to Disney Land we went to 'where the show fits' and found shoes and flip flops with the right support.

The lady told my wife to Never walk without shoes and her shins got better and it's not been an issue since - unless she starts going without shoes...

I've had shin splints and that hurts so I feel for y'all.

If we are talking stores, I've had 'where the shoe fits' replace shoes 6 months later for faulty stitching, my kid grew a size and the shoe just didn't 'wear' in.

Great customer service!!!

Yea also with plantar never go barefoot. Never wear flip flops. Never wear slip on shoes.

For at home/lounging about/after wear-

I've had really good luck with Addidas flip flop type sandals. They make several kinds that look the same. I like 2, one has little nubs that point up towards the sole of your foot that act like a massage -- freekin' nice (but just for a short while after walking, hiking or standing on hard flooring), then change out to the other style of there flip flop I like. Has a harder rubber form fit sole.

I stay away from there squishy soled version. Just doesn't work for me.

Sandals which work for me for everyday type wear are made by Keen. They have a fast lace / cinch, and rubber cover toe box. The soles on them are similar to the 2nd Addidas I mentioned above - hard sole. I'm comfy in these for long periods.

I often wear the Keene p's as slip - ons, I just slide them on, flattening out the heel retainer strap under my heel. OK for short periods, but simply kills my feet if I forget and wear them that way for long periods...

YMMV

I've had plantar for years. About 10 years ago it was so bad at times I could barely step out of bed without being in tremendous pain. Finally went to a Podiatrist and he prescribed me custom fit insoles.

I can't begin to tell you the difference it made. The pain disappeared literally within days of starting to use them. It doesn't matter what shoes I wear. At the time, I switched regularly between Danner work boots, sneakers and dress shoes - I just move the insoles to the shoes I wear. I've been using them now for about 10 years and NEVER go without them. My foot pain is gone, and has stayed gone this entire time. They are spendy, but one pair will last 3-5 years if you take care of them. And, at least for me, insurance did cover part of the cost.

No matter what shoes you wear, if you have PF, see a podiatrist and ask about custom insoles.

Altra even makes a suede version that can pass for a "work" shoe when needed. They can be expensive though. Once you know your size you can often find deals on the internet - I have several extra pairs that I got for $50-60 dollars. I've found that they don't last that long if you do a lot of running in them so I would be hesitant to pay full price if you don't have to.

I just picked up a pair of their new waterproof trail runners through the massdrop deal site. I think I paid around $70 for them shipped but they usually list over $110.

Also they make some versions with really thick soles - that I don't like. Some of the local running stores will have a selection of them you can try the different types. REI might have them too.

Altra even makes a suede version that can pass for a "work" shoe when needed. They can be expensive though. Once you know your size you can often find deals on the internet - I have several extra pairs that I got for $50-60 dollars. I've found that they don't last that long if you do a lot of running in them so I would be hesitant to pay full price if you don't have to.

I just picked up a pair of their new waterproof trail runners through the massdrop deal site. I think I paid around $70 for them shipped but they usually list over $110.

Also they make some versions with really thick soles - that I don't like. Some of the local running stores will have a selection of them you can try the different types. REI might have them too.
Have to last then sheeeety nike. They blow!

I've had plantar fasciitis for over 20 years. Shots finally stopped working for pain relief (and I don't want that many treatments anyhow). So after trying nearly every drug and prescription orthotic insole on earth for 2 decades, I vowed to try them ALL.

Stumbled into a cheap and effective combination. Plain white foam insoles (like generic odoreaters), and Profoot Plantar Fasciitis inserts. 99 cents and $7.50 at Walmart. Together, they work like nothing else - regardless of the price.

Even in Hawaii last spring, I wore them in sneakers for just 1-2 hours a day to offset the surefire agony of flip-flops and crappy sandals. That combination actually reversed the progression of pain - daily!

I use the same two things in all my shoes and boots. Unqualified product endorsement here. And they're cheap as hell (so worth a try). No promises, but I hope it works for others here. Good luck fellers!

profoot.jpg

This site.....Starting to sound like a bunch of "O.F's." complaining of aging issues! :D

That Plantar Fasciitis hit me a a couple of years ago. I basically follow an edger,string trimmer and lawn mower around for about six hours a day. As mentioned, getting up in the morning felt like I had to walk on the sides of my feet and use the wall to get into the bathroom! Rolling, (Grinding?) a tennis ball in the arch of my foot and pulling on a towel wrapped around the ball of my foot helped. The $15.00 inserts from Wallgreen's are what really made the difference though. I'm lucky I guess because the pain went away and I haven't used the insert for about a year.

I've had plantar fasciitis for over 20 years. Shots finally stopped working for pain relief (and I don't want that many treatments anyhow).

Man I bet THOSE hurt! :eek: I get one about every nine months in my right wrist joint, takes the place of the cartilage that's supposed to be there.

You guys that have shot happy docs for your feet, you need to be your own advocate and stop those. To many will break the tissue down on the bottom of the feet, and you will be walking with no padding. Yep on bone and skin only.
The rest of your life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads