JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been hunting with guys who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with their huge magnums. To this day I think it was both a lack of experience and a fear of the noise and kick.

Now, my sweet little .270 will drive nails and has killed everything I've ever shot at with it. No one has ever shown me how even an .06 is superior in terminal ballistics. BTW, I shoot 130 gr Remington Core Lokt bullets.

Thanks to Jack O'Connor and his cult of high velocity.

Just sayin'...

It's been almost exactly 6 months since I made my first post in this thread. In that time I've bought 2 more 30-06s. Put your money where you mouth is, huh? (Shhhhh, don't tell anybody, but I bought a .270, too!):D I'm not quite the "rifle nut" as some of the others that have posted here, but I have my moments.

This has been a very interesting thread and I've really enjoyed all of the input the OP stirred up.

Anywho, exactly one week from now I'll be anxiously awaiting the sun rising Saturday morning as I'm sitting in my treestand. I'll be there with my new 06. Hunting season's upon us, and no matter your choice of caliber "flavor", I wish you all very well this year.

I also have 300 wm 150 ballistic tip a healthy dose of 4350 and just shy of 3600 fps. Lets see a 308 runt with me to 500 yards. Where I hold on the top of the back and let her go bang. It is all sbout time of flight to make shots to 60o yards out past that you have to realy dope the wind and the range.

I got a .308 when I was 12, I shot it for 8 years....it was a good deer hunting gun...I got a .300 win mag 3 years ago and I'll never shoot anything else. It has great take down power on all big game, elk, bears, deer, cougars...I hunt with 5-7 other family members, 5 of us hunt with .300 win mags and 2 of us use .300 win mag ultras...

I am new to hunting. Last year was my first time and I never saw any animals. I have a model 94 30/30 now but it is from 1949 and in very good condition so I don't want to carry it out in the rain any more, and I was told it was under powered for elk. I'm looking at the bi-mart savages w/ scope and was wondering what you all thought of them and what cal. would be best for both deer and elk.
You've probably already gotten your answer, but I'll state it anyway.
Savage makes a good gun.
They always have.
The company is going through a small upswing in popularity lately and some of it can be seen in the expansion of its 110 series rifles.
I saw a Shooting Times article the other day that was a review of some new version of the Savage 110.
The writer only had good things to say about it.
As for a caliber, you can't go wrong with the good ol' .30-06.
Most versatile cartridge on the planet.
Slap a good 3-9X scope on that gun and you've got yourself one heck of a winning combination.

...and just because that model 94 was made in '49 doesn't make it an "antique".
Guns like that are what are referred to as "Working Man's Guns".
They're built to be reliable, effective, simple to use and cheap to buy.
If the action's still tight, use that sucker...in fact, if you're smart, you'll mount a sling on it and when you do, put the swivel at the forward end (nearest the muzzle) just behind the front barrel band.
Now, when you carry it in the woods, the end of the barrel will be below the top of your head and you won't catch the gun on low hanging branches.
Trust me, its a God send.

DeanMk

You're probably going to hear a bunch of guys tell you to buy something different and much more expensive. They'll give you all kinds of reasons to pick a different caliber, too. But you'll do just fine with one of those Savage packages and I'd suggest one in 30-06. I use a different gun, but it's chambered in 30-06. No deer or elk I've ever shot needed more than one bullet.:cool:

I was at a gun show that the RMEF was at,years ago
I asked the guy about this and he said to get a quality 30-06.
It will handle ANYTHING on No America.
Load it light for the dogs,antelope.
160+- for our little black tail and maybe bear,cougar

180+ for bigger bear and elk and 200+,hot for Alaska.
(real reloaders can give you better #s.This is what the guy told me)

I think there is about 1237 different factory loads for the '06.And about the same number in guns

All the different caliber out there are because engineers have a need to experiment,and the manufacturers have a need to sell more guns.
I mean how boring would it be to just have 1 gun?

You know how many guns it take to finish a collection?

Just one more

I got a notification that a member replied this morning asking what RMEF stood for and the reply isn't there. That's strange.

RMEF

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for those that aren't acquainted with them.:s0155:

carrying a 722 rem in .257 roberts stalking the woods, have a 6mm rem tack driver for long range shots,glass and shoot. for deer, move up to .338 win mag 200 grain hornady interlock hand loads for elk. good luck to all this season

Without being too long winded the 270 and 30-'06 are both sufficent depending on the bullet design.

A personal observation- Elk must have been to the point of over running the country:(, thank god they came up with magnum calibers (for minumum shooters).:s0112::s0112::s0112:

I got a notification that a member replied this morning asking what RMEF stood for and the reply isn't there. That's strange.

RMEF

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for those that aren't acquainted with them.:s0155:
It could be that the reply was posted for a short time (long enough to register an email notificaion), but upon further reflection (or possibly, research), the poster may have decided to delete the post altogether.

I've seen that happen a few times in the past and that's the only reason I can think of, as to why it occurs (aside from a "flame war" breaking out).

Dean

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads