JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to carry pepper spray with me just incase that were to happen when I would walk my dog. A little spray will go a long way in braking up dog fights.

I've heard that grabbing both of the hind legs of the dog will cause it to let go. Then you toss it aside and supposedly it disorients the dog so much it takes a moment to reassess. I've only heard this, not going to try it myself...:)

A Taser would probably be effective but pepper spray is probably the most effective means of defense.

Legally you need to have a pretty good reason for discharging a firearm. You'll have to consider backstop and ricochets. Legally you might have to consider attacking dog vs defending dog. If both are equal size you might not be able to justify using a deadly weapon as it would be a "fair" fight so to speak. You might get the attitude of you should have just let them fight it out as that is the natural order of dominance. Ultimately, with a firearm, you are using a weapon that can be potentially lethal to humans to defend a dog which is legally considered property. That is the worst case legal scenario I can think of.

Yeah, I got between my dog, which a feral cat was about to jump, and said assailant. Ended up spending three days in the hospital because of septicemia from the bite I got. 12 years later, that cat's still dead and I still have my dog, so it's a win-win from where I sit.

If I had a gun on me at the time, I would not have used it. 1) In the city 2) small, fast target 3) just attacking by hand was enough to end the threat.

Now if it's a LARGE predator you don't want to tackle, then it's hard to get a clean shot and not hurt your own dog. Personally, as long as the background is safe, there's no reason not to kill a vicious predator that is threatening another animal's life. But usually a stick, kick, or poke is the fastest, safest thing.

It all depends on the animal attacking and where you are.
I was at my local dog park and two dogs got into it right in front of me. It was a boxer and a black lab. I simply reached down and grabbed both dogs by the neck and pulled them apart until te owners could get them.
But if I out in the woods and a cougar or coyote comes towards us, it's bang bang all day. Cause it may come for me and not the dog.

I've heard pepper spray is the best deterent. Other than that I carry a knife on me at all times. I would just cut the throat. You risk getting a bite but as long as you can kill it, it can be tested for disease.

Or a simply drop kick will do.

actually had this scenario to deal with one time. My dog, a smallish (cocker spaniel size) was rushed and bowled over by a large heavy set mean black lab mix. Far too large for me to tackle by hand. Mine was on his back, pawing to fend off the other dog, obviously going for the jugular. Happened to see a shovel nearby, grabbed it, and got in four HARD whacks directly down on the back of the perp (blade turned toward target, thus two sharp edges hitting each blow). First two, he ignored. Third, he hesitated, being distracted from his goal to garotte my guy. Fourth, he realised he was up against a superior enemy and withdrew. Not sure how badly hurt he was. Mine was badly shaken, a few toothmarks but nothing serious. I suspect he got in a few snips himself, he had a MEAN set of sharp teeth and was quick with them. We were on private property, the other dog from who knows where. I feared reprisals from the other dog's owner for a while, as we frequented that property.... I was working there nearly every day for a spell. Never saw the other critter again.

If this scenario were repeated today, in that exact place, and I had a pistol in my shirt, I'm not certain whether I'd use it. I could have gotten a clean shot, completely missing my dog for sure. Depending on exact angle, down target may be an issue, as there were houses in the distance. I believe I could have angled downward into the dirt to damp the shot, though. Since mine was on his back, the other one wasn't moving about much. Tough call, though. Seems the shovel did the trick....... and if there were one again, I think I'd try that first. Of course, if the bug mutt had turned on me, my pistol surely would have been pressed into service.

It would depend where I was, out in the country I would shoot an animal that attacked my dog, when you go to a dog park you must assume that other dogs will be there and that a dog fight is a possibility, so shooting someone else's dog for doing what is natural instinct isn't cool, nor would it be legal, plan on going to jail and possibly losing your gun rights if you do this. I will probably buy some pepper spray and an Asp now that I have though about it.

My dog is my kid. I might regret it later but I would make sure that whatever was attacking him was stopped. I suppose my action would depend on what was attacking but the result would be the same.

My dog is my kid. I might regret it later but I would make sure that whatever was attacking him was stopped. I suppose my action would depend on what was attacking but the result would be the same.

+1
My dog is my child and I would risk my life for her. Most people think that's ridiculous, but those of you who have a true companion know.
Are ASPs even legal to carry on you? Even with a concealed carry permit?
I go to the dog park almost everyday and I've only been there a couple times when dog got into it, but it's usually nothing vicious. But I wouldn't hesitate to kill someone's dog if it attacked mine. If I couldn't break them apart by hand.
But any other larger animals that would attack would be futher outside city limits so use of a firearms would be permitted.

You know I really am having a hard time keeping a straight face in this thread, all the people that would whip out the Pistol at the dog park and start shooting feel free to say I, I mean really get realistic! :s0112:

You know I really am having a hard time keeping a straight face in this thread, all the people that would whip out the Pistol at the dog park and start shooting feel free to say I, I mean really get realistic! :s0112:

Dog park? The only time it was mentioned was from a previous post that said something to the extent that fights are a risk to be taken, so it's definitely not justified there. This is completely opposite of what you are suggesting. To be more specific, I am speaking of if you're minding your own business on your property, and some larger, aggressively violent dog encroaches on your properly secured properly and is attacking your animal. Pepper spray, firearms?

I know that you could have assumed that the dog park isn't what I was referring to. Is this not a serious matter? People obviously care for their pets, and I find it quite refreshing, the fact that more people can bring mace into play instead of the firearm. Levelheadedness is what we should be proud of here.

The reason I bring it up, is that there have been a few rare instances where a dog owner has been warned multiple times, but fails to take action. One day a neighbor or stranger/children are either confronted in a very dangerous situation by a dangerous animal, or the animal is attacking the human or the animal. This has resulted in shooting deaths of dogs, but usually injuries of the victims because people can't exactly fend off angry dogs, particularly specific breeds with bad reputations. I'm speaking of negligence by the owner of the attacking animal, otherwise the aggressive animal wouldn't be threatening or attacking the victims.

I don't use dog parks, but do walk my little lab on leash and self a couple miles a day. I carry pepper spray, and my small carry concealed. We have had some trouble with unleashed vicious dogs, but nothing the pepper spray didn't stop. The only time I would pull my pistol is if the pepper would not stop a vicious dog that came at me. At that time I think the law would be in my favor, even in city limits.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top