JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what Ive been told, in a nut shell yes. Apparently they have been lenient on that rule but are starting to enforce it. Or its strongly suggested. I thought it was awesome enough after the first match so I joined.

Oh, somehow I wrote the wrong damn thing. That's what I get for browsing forums after hiking all day. My brain don't work!

$40 for the annual IDPA membership is a-okay by me.

Rather, is TCGC membership mandantory after the first match?

So, I joined IDPA before really looking into it, but knew I wanted to get into shooting competitively; at $40 it was reasonable to join first, ask questions later. So here is my question. I have a 1911 and a Walther P99 (9mm). I was planning on getting rid of the P99 in favor of another 1911, but thinking about competing, the 7+1 in the 1911s might be a little restrictive (i.e. reloading too frequently). Would it behoove me to keep the P99 and the 1911 and use them in different classes, or if I normally carry a 1911 should I just stick with that and shoot that in the matches?

silversnl,

You would be shooting your 1911 in the CDP division, which specifies a capacity of 8+1. So you could just get some 8 rounds mags. It's really your call, but I prefer to shoot a Glock in SSP because that's what I carry. I was shooting in CDP for a while too, but decided just to focus on one platform for now.

There's a lot to be said for competing with what you carry.

If your P99 is an AS model then you can use it for SSP (de-cocked) or ESP. This, with your 1911 (CDP) will allow you to classify in 3 divisions and then shoot what you want.
Ultimately the 1911 folks need to reload more, but then again, you are only competing against fellow 1911 shooters. It's a trade off to either shoot what you carry or what you can afford.

There's a lot to be said for competing with what you carry.

Thank you, that was exactly why I'd rather compete with the 1911. I do have a .22 lr slide conversion for it, so I'd be able to practice on the cheap.

If your P99 is an AS model then you can use it for SSP (de-cocked) or ESP. This, with your 1911 (CDP) will allow you to classify in 3 divisions and then shoot what you want.
Ultimately the 1911 folks need to reload more, but then again, you are only competing against fellow 1911 shooters. It's a trade off to either shoot what you carry or what you can afford.

Thank you for the information; it is really helpful. I thought the two would be in different classes, I just wasn't sure. Knowing that if I shot the 1911 I'd be in a class full of 8+1 mags, I feel a lot better about competing with that.

. Ok I will play..... Again. Tell me when is the next idpa at this tcgc place?
And coming from salem what exit would be the best to take? Will google from there.

Thanks

Sherwood IDPA - Tri County Gun Club

Mar 10 == but it is the classifier
Mar 30 (Sat)

Take the Tualitin exit off 5 - head west on Tualitin-Sherwood ( / Nyberg) exit 289

Note: Google Maps identifies the wrong location of the entrance of TCGC - it is close you can follow direction from hwy, but you need to continue to the next left, from where indicated - the driveway heads up a hill, not into the quarry.

@Zippy et al -- 5th Saturday in March - Regular Match

I've only participated in one IDPA match. I was planning on joining and continuing to participate, but they switched days on me. Since I can't compete due to the schedule conflict, do I have to join IDPA to participate in the match on Saturday March 30th?

The first match is Sun Mar 10th. This is a classifier match so you have to be an IDPA member to shoot.
http://www.tc-idpa.org/

I just read about the second match on the 30th. I'm guessing you need to register with IDPA if this is not your first match.

Hope to see you there.

Sooo can a person join IDPA at the match? And shoot the classifier and the club send the funds along with the match results? Sounds as if its possible....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top