JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hmmm, count me as skeptical

Instapundit » Blog Archive » REPORT: Authorities: Hofstra student was killed by police. Some people are giving this an anti-cop?

"Prof. Joseph Olson writes:
Civilian “combat shooters” who participate in IPSC or IDPA competitions practice, practice, practice, head shots to the bad guy while missing the hostage. Sometimes they do it after 10 push-ups or a 50 yard run (designed to induce physical stress). 99% of the time they miss the hostage and get the bad guy.

Regular street cops are allowed to carry guns but don’t get this level of training."

Every body makes mistakes. When you have seconds to react to save your life anything can happen. Its amazing that more innocent folks are not shot by police.

If the IRS audits 500 conservatives, then its just a simple mistake, give them a pass. But a cop makes a mistake and shoots an innocent bystander, its murder, right??? Sounds like agenda driven PC BS to me. Just my humble personal opinion.

A violent real world confrontation with a gun is not a game. IPSC and IDPA are games with guns.

True BUT..... People who shoot these disciplines are a hell of a lot better at target engagement and recognition than most cops. I would trust the people I shoot with waaaaay more than I would a police officer. People who shoot IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, etc are used to shooting under stress. Gotta go for now but Ill continue this later..... I feel an interesting conversation coming on. (Side note, read Combat Shooting with Massad Ayoob, great book)

There is a true maxiam in the service and the fire service, I was both, You fight the way you train. Be it a fire fight or fighting a fire that holds true. USPSA maybe a game, but we use games to train. We have several cops in our club who use USPSA for training.

I wouldn't go so far to say that IDPA is better than police training. The majority of the officers I know are great shots and also shoot competition. I mean sure I know some who only shoot 3 times a year when they have to qualify but there are CHL holders who shoot once a year as well. I know a lot of people like to armchair quarterback the officer, but in that type of situation you only have a fraction of a second to react and it's just unfortunate that an innocent person was killed. I'm sure I've opened a can of worms but so be it.

it's just unfortunate that an innocent person was killed
Answer this, and please be honest. You don't have to tell us the answer.

If the same situation occured and the person doing the shooting was not a cop, would you still say it was just an unfortunate that an innocent person was killed?

Just be honest.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads