JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was talking with a friend yesturday, he is recently back to OR from Idaho.
Asked what he was doing there, getting a CHP. I thought that interesting.

He reports that as a non-resident, you have to be IN ID to take the class, and then RETURN to ID to get your permit. Something to do with the training that must be done by a lawyer, the law part not the firearm familiarity part.

I didn't see this as a requirement on handgunlaw.us
http://handgunlaw.us/states/idaho.pdf

I didn't know to ask if it was their enhanced licence.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

As he was most recently a resident of NM, just moved Oregon, he said the NM process is designed to make you not want to get a permit, yet, you need one.

Thanks,

I do have this info:

Concealed Weapons License Information

And this from that site:
"
How do I obtain a concealed weapons license in Idaho?

You apply in person to a county sheriff. If you have questions about applying for an Idaho Concealed Weapon License, please refer to Idaho Sheriff's Association or contact the county sheriff where you reside or the county sheriff where you intend to apply if you are not an Idaho resident."

And this from the Idaho Sheriff's Association:
Idaho Sheriffs' Association

"An E-CWL applicant must apply and complete the entire process regardless whether they possess a regular CWL license. The eight hour minimum training required for an E-CWL license can be satisfied through the NRA personal protection inside the home or outside the home; by another nationally recognized organization that customarily certifies firearms instruction; or by an instructor certified by the Idaho Peace Officers Standards and Training Council (POST). The course must be taught in person for a minimum of eight hours including Idaho law relating to firearms and the use of deadly force, basic concepts of the safe and responsible use of handguns, self defense principles, and live fire training with at least 98 rounds fired. It is important to note that the legal training must be provided by a licensed Idaho attorney or an Idaho peace officer with a minimum Intermediate POST certificate. Applicants must apply in person."

So I don't see where we'd have to take the class in-state, but we clearly have to apply in person.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top