JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was told by a worker at a particular gun store that if you have a tax stamp on a firearm it cannot be confiscated if the state imposes a law restricting the ownership of said firearm. An example of this would be if you had a stamped short barreled AR-15 and the state drops a bunch of restrictions like we've seen in California and New York, it becomes essentially exempt from these restrictions. I'd like to hear some thoughts and maybe find someone who can confirm or disprove this.

I was told by a worker at a particular gun store that if you have a tax stamp on a firearm it cannot be confiscated if the state imposes a law restricting the ownership of said firearm. An example of this would be if you had a stamped short barreled AR-15 and the state drops a bunch of restrictions like we've seen in California and New York, it becomes essentially exempt from these restrictions. I'd like to hear some thoughts and maybe find someone who can confirm or disprove this.

Don't know, highly dubious.

They would give you time to remove it from the state, unless they grandfather it, but I doubt that federal law can override state law this way. I've never heard of this. LGSs are great places to hear many myths about guns, whether it is about laws/etc., ballistics or other things some so called "expert" heard and never checked out before he repeats it to someone else.

They would give you time to remove it from the state, unless they grandfather it, but I doubt that federal law can override state law this way. I've never heard of this. LGSs are great places to hear many myths about guns, whether it is about laws/etc., ballistics or other things some so called "expert" heard and never checked out before he repeats it to someone else.

I have found more people who work gun counters are imbeciles than are highly knowledgeable about guns people.

Yeah like the one... while I looked at an uzi and said "that would be more fun in full auto". The reply was "you can always just convert it and just not tell anyone". I was like WTF!?... didnt end up buying that one.

My understanding is owners of any NFA items must comply with state laws where they reside.

So, in the OP's hypothetical, unless "grandfathered" in said hypothetical, the NFA owner would have to sell it to/through an appropriate dealer out of state.

Or move.

Yeah like the one... while I looked at an uzi and said "that would be more fun in full auto". The reply was "you can always just convert it and just not tell anyone". I was like WTF!?... didnt end up buying that one.

The full auto Uzis are open bolt, the semi-autos are not (they fire from a closed bolt), which makes them harder to convert to full-auto and not as desirable.

I literally know nothing about them.... I thought they are all open bolt!?
Just the full-auto version is. There is a welded in portion of the body of semi-versions to prevent the full-auto versions bolt from being able to go in easily.This is also why semi-auto uzi's have that straight line cut in the bolt.
The trigger group is also different for the semi-auto versions. That said it is not a difficult conversion to full-auto if one has the know how. The Mac-10 and Mac-11 series are also easy to convert, also why they are popular with gangs.

FWIW, a popular model of autoloading pistol can be converted to FA with 2 pieces cut out of a penny, which can be dropped out by removing the slide and leaving no evidence. :eek:

Would I share such dangerous technology with the Drooling Masses? Nope. :p

I use to own a vintage .22lr open bolt Marlin 50 rifle.
It could easily be converted to full auto, but since it only had a 8 rd magazine, why bother taking the risk.

My understanding is owners of any NFA items must comply with state laws where they reside.

So, in the OP's hypothetical, unless "grandfathered" in said hypothetical, the NFA owner would have to sell it to/through an appropriate dealer out of state.

Or move.

^. This is the correct answer. Ownership of NFA items is still subject to all state laws.

Too much if, maybe and sort of for me, no one knows what or even if the law says until it's written and made law. Any more that that is just mental masturbation.
That's absolutely true, however, since many of the Oregon dems admire their California cohorts, I would imagine they would try to copy their strategy and actions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top