JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I checked the burris Pepr and it is only 30mm or 1.18 inches... these ones I've got on it now are 25.4 mm or 1 inch on the nose.

THE WARNE Ring Height:
Warne 1-Piece Gen 2 Extended SKEL MSR Scope Mount Picatinny-Style with Rings

(Measured from center of scope tube to top of base): All models=1.435"

That still seems short...

That was my issue with it, thing was a tank, but high quality low weight mounts are costing big bucks. Hell Geissele is cheap compared Scalrworks and Spurh.

An AR type one piece mount is always a good idea on an AR. Imagine that... Who would have thought that? If you guys don't like the weight of the Burris P.E.P.R (which they really aren't that heavy to begin with), there's always the Aero precision ultralight mount. I've tried that one in particular and don't like it. Not beefy enough for my taste. There's also the Leupold Mark 2 AR mount that is very good and not as bulky or "heavy" as the P.E.P.R... I don't know the OP's reasoning for not buying a 1 piece AR mount, maybe there was a reason we don't know about??

ok, I was mistaken, the burris pepr is on its way. From the top of the rail to the top of the PEPR is 2 and 1/2", height from the rail to the bottom of the scope tube is 1". I've only got 1/2 inch now from the top of the rail to the bottom of the scope, so this should fix things for me. I'm glad I ran it buy you guys, otherwise I wouldn't have ever known.

I checked the burris Pepr and it is only 30mm or 1.18 inches... these ones I've got on it now are 25.4 mm or 1 inch on the nose.
These sound like scope main tube diameters.

THE WARNE Ring Height:
Warne 1-Piece Gen 2 Extended SKEL MSR Scope Mount Picatinny-Style with Rings
(Measured from center of scope tube to top of base): All models=1.435"

That still seems short...
This sounds normal if it's from centerline of scope to top of rail.
A place to start anyway.

With those 2 part rings you might not be able to get the scope as far forward as you would like.
Hence the AR-type cantilevered one piece mount.

ok, I was mistaken, the burris pepr is on its way. From the top of the rail to the top of the PEPR is 2 and 1/2", height from the rail to the bottom of the scope tube is 1". I've only got 1/2 inch now from the top of the rail to the bottom of the scope, so this should fix things for me. I'm glad I ran it buy you guys, otherwise I wouldn't have ever known.

FYI, they are on clearance Midway for $78.60 with free shipping.

This whole process is bringing me closer to that place that I fear most.

That place where I flat out miss.
Not because of faulty equipment, or a bug in my eye, or something that fouls my line of sight.

I'm going to keep on going though, It is good to have a project, and learning how to "AR" is the one I am going to do.

Not because of faulty equipment, or a bug in my eye, or something that fouls my line of sight.

I'm going to keep on going though, It is good to have a project, and learning how to "AR" is the one I am going to do.
its a big world and a lot to know if you want to be a student of the AR the info is out there. Trick is to "learn how to AR" then spent your money.......and don't trust behind the counter person at Sportsman for tech questions on an AR, some gun shops for that matter. Otherwise you end up with a drawer full of crap and empty pockets .

burris pepr is a good one indeed. And that hand guard probably does smack the scope since it is not free-floating like the hand guard in the video someone quoted.

I respect that. You will enjoy working with the AR platform. It can be addicting though: Just a warning. By the way, if you want to see how the P.E.P.R mount looks on some AR's, here are a few of mine:
rTzWjRU.jpg

The top 2 are ar15's, the one on the bottom is my AR10... Your Nikon should work just fine on your AR too. I started out using my Buckmasters 6-18x40 on my left handed Stag. (See pic below):
qeoTRrM.jpg

That was with the Leupold Mark 2 mount though. I ended up replacing all of my Leupold, Aero precision, American defense recon and other mounts and switching them out with Burris. They are strong and have proven themselves to me. In the pic above, you'll see what Directdrive was talking about with not being able to get your 2 piece rings far enough forward for your scope on your AR. You can see how the cantilever mount places the scope in a more forward/natural position on the rifle.

My best advice is take a class, you'll learn by doing.

That was my issue with it, thing was a tank, but high quality low weight mounts are costing big bucks. Hell Geissele is cheap compared Scalrworks and Spurh.
I don't own Spurh, though everyone says they're great. I do own Scalarworks and they're amazing. The machine work is extraordinary. Just truly amazing. Work of art level amazing.

Last Edited:
This thread got me going.

After deep consideration, I realized I was wrong.

I ordered an Aero for the 30mm tube. Apparently my mind was confusing my bolt rifle mentality with the AR 1.5" mentality.

Now and before:

03B18D97-A835-4522-B2D3-26F743EA6BB4.jpeg

My other AR's all use 1.5" CL on the optics so I can't figure out why I thought this was so special.

My apologies.

Well, after a crazy week, I decided to do something fun tonight and took your advice and got the Burris Pepr set up with that new scope.

What a difference in my cheek weld. Thanks for the advice, once again you guys helped me out.

IMG_20190228_194051979_HDR.jpg IMG_20190228_194019192_HDR.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top