JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a red blooded Oregonian but lived overseas for 20 yrs until recently. Just thought I'd pass on my experience living with the end result of extreme gun control.

Country is Belize. Ex British colony where the brits made the original gun laws to ensure the oppressed local population could not be an armed threat to the colonial minority.

The interesting part is that gun control actually wasnt that horrible in the 70's to 90's for it being a brit country. You had to have a license issued by the police commissioner and it was pretty much guaranteed if you were a sound citizen with no criminal background and either a hunter, in need of a handgun for personal protection, or a shooting competitor. You could have any non military semi auto rifle, any handgun or shotgun and a decent amount of ammo but you couldnt make your own. The govt did control the importation and local distribution of ammo but it was readily available.

And then in the 90's the usa experienced a surge in black gang violence aka the bloods and the crips. Many Belizean blacks had emigrated to the usa and guess what? Many where involved in those gangs due to Belize's cocaine connection. So the us feds started rounding up these guys and deporting them back to the country they came from. So Belize got back its share of garbage from LA, Chicago and NYC (as did Jamaica due to their weed).

In short time peaceful Belize experienced a massive surge in gang gun violence, armed robberies and car jackings. The local populous became enraged and it was immediately decided that further controlling guns would alleviate the violence and stop the problem. They forgot that ample gun control was already in place to stop criminals or crazies from buying them (legally).

I see the same happening in the usa right now. Ignorant massive outcry to control the gun because it will protect our society from itself. Anyhow we all know about this bs. The point is the similarity of denial of the real problem and the possible outcome.

This is the outcome for a citizen iN Belize to now own a firearm:

-You have to be interviewed by a FBI type cop and get his recommendation to be eligible for one.
-You are typically only allowed one gun in any category (self defense pistol or hunting rifle or shotgun) and max one of each category if you have any clout
-You are limited to guns that shoot non military cartridges, no centerfire semi rifles, no magnums or large calibers in anything and no semi auto shotguns
-You have to pay high annual fees to license each weapon
-Guns and ammo are subjected to 100% govt taxes
-You are limited to the amount of ammo you can have in possession per gun permit (100 pistol, 50 shotgun, 100 rifle)
-You are limited to only purchasing that amount of ammo per day based on your permit but cant have more than the permit amount in possession or at home
-You cannot loan your gun to anyone else other than at a gun club shoot
-You cannot manufacture your own ammo
-You can only sell your gun to another licensed and vetted person via a dealer.
-The penalties for gun law violation are a fine with no bail and mandatory jail time. There is no distinction made in the law between a licensed person having 10 rounds over the permit amount and a gangbanger getting caught with 10 rounds in his pocket.
-The police can raid your house with no warrant if they suspect illegal firearms or ammo. If they find anything then all present in that house can be charged for the same offense. Even the maid.

Of course gun violence stats have not notably changed since the implementation of these draconian laws. In fact its worse there now!

I know this is an extreme example but it does show you how public pressure can change laws fast and for the worse!

Thank you for this perspective. It is pretty clear that gun control favors tyrants -- both those of the Governmental variety and those who operate outside the law. Judge Alex Kozinski addresses the governmental variety (see quote below), but we don't often hear of the ways the underworld is enabled to act tyrannically in part due to misguided gun control.

The majority falls prey to the delusion—popular in some circles—that ordinary people are too careless and stupid to own guns, and we would be far better off leaving all weapons in the hands of professionals on the government payroll. But the simple truth—born of experience—is that tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people. Our own sorry history bears this out: Disarmament was the tool of choice for subjugating both slaves and free blacks in the South. In Florida, patrols searched blacks' homes for weapons, confiscated those found and punished their owners without judicial process. ... As Chief Justice Taney well appreciated, the institution of slavery required a class of people who lacked the means to resist. See Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. (19 How.) 393, 417 (1857) (finding black citizenship unthinkable because it would give blacks the right to "keep and carry arms wherever they went"). A revolt by Nat Turner and a few dozen other armed blacks could be put down without much difficulty; one by four million armed blacks would have meant big trouble.

All too many of the other great tragedies of history— Stalin's atrocities, the killing fields of Cambodia, the Holocaust, to name but a few—were perpetrated by armed troops against unarmed populations. Many could well have been avoided or mitigated, had the perpetrators known their intended victims were equipped with a rifle and twenty bullets apiece, as the Militia Act required here. See Kleinfeld Dissent at 5997-99. If a few hundred Jewish fighters in the Warsaw Ghetto could hold off the Wehrmacht for almost a month with only a handful of weapons, six million Jews armed with rifles could not so easily have been herded into cattle cars.

328 F3d 567 Silveira v. Lockyer | OpenJurist

IMHO, you ought to be sharing this with legislators and pro 2A groups. First hand experience is hard to refute, and gun control groups always like to tout how other foreign countries do so well with their gun seizing laws.

My $.02 worth.

Boss

That is great information, sad to say the firearms owners in this country mostly play keyboard protesters and these laws around here pass faster fart thru garden hose. The lobbyist and groups are weaker then the opposition so we will see this same path. PS, they are not weak because there is an anti-majority. They are weak be they blow hot air and when reality hits they stand by and let it take its course. We will wake up and see we were played by those we were told to trust..... its never as it seems or as we are told.
Thank you for giving a nice view of the future maybe it might wake some people up.

Yeah gun control was for tyrants but now its for politicians.
Those ultra libs hate us so much that they will do and use what ever tactic they can to go cut at what they think is our achilles heel. I really think they care more about hurting us than they do about safeguarding kids.

I just wish that more people would have been given the chance to comprehend LaPierre's speech the other day. Its the only logical statement that has come out of the mouth of any public or private figure head.

Its interesting that this last shooting is getting so much more called for action than Sandy Hook which was worse. Was it because it happened on our watch instead of theirs. Or what?!

And to think that at one time I thought about moving to Belize.

BTW, what was the name of that murdering high tech programmer/owner that Belize chased into Mexico?

And to think that at one time I thought about moving to Belize.

BTW, what was the name of that murdering high tech programmer/owner that Belize chased into Mexico?

If you had thought about it in the 80' then it was a great idea.

Oh that guy who had one of my good friends tortured and then executed by a bullet to the back of his head? The one and only John David Mcafee. Talk about trying to keep guns out of crazy peoples' hands...

If you had thought about it in the 80' then it was a great idea.

Oh that guy who had one of my good friends tortured and then executed by a bullet to the back of his head? The one and only John David Mcafee. Talk about trying to keep guns out of crazy peoples' hands...

Yes, and yes. Thanx!!

Well I can speak for many here, that we do our part to stop this sort of thing from happening. With that said IMO we need to do more this sort of thing shouldn't be allowed to happen in this great country.

Yes there is a difference. A politician can become a tyrant but a tyrant wont become a politician.
I was half joking, but in truth my opinion is that most politicians would be tyrants but for the 2nd Amendment.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top