JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never appreciated anyone saying "caveat emptor" to me when I was on the receiving end of the bad deal. So I won't say it. Had to sue a well known auto shop for an engine rebuild when I was 19 and knew nothing about auto repair or dealing with lawyers. Got a bid for engine rebuild. Invoice stated rebuild engine. They repaired one bad valve. Less than 100 miles parts came through the block. They said for the price they stated, no one could rebuild an engine. After they heard from my second attorney they rebuilt the engine and made me promise to never do business with them. BTW the first attorney charged me and then told me I didn't have a chance of recovery. Since then have acquired tools, some knowledge and experience and when buying used set aside some dollars for the expected unexpected. Have repaired vehicles that someone else fixed, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, concrete. As a result have developed too many skills. Experience is a teacher, not all lessons are easily learned.

I think you missed the part in the original post where I said I already got parts. My whole complaint is that I've been un-buggering some things the previous owner did, none of which were overtly damaging to the car. Could be as simple as he forgot, or he just snugged them down, or he didn't own a torque wrench. Regardless, it could have been a very bad day for me if I hadn't caught it.
Sounds like you need to get to wrenching and move on, then.

Never appreciated anyone saying "caveat emptor" to me when I was on the receiving end of the bad deal. So I won't say it. Had to sue a well known auto shop for an engine rebuild when I was 19 and knew nothing about auto repair or dealing with lawyers. Got a bid for engine rebuild. Invoice stated rebuild engine. They repaired one bad valve. Less than 100 miles parts came through the block. They said for the price they stated, no one could rebuild an engine. After they heard from my second attorney they rebuilt the engine and made me promise to never do business with them. BTW the first attorney charged me and then told me I didn't have a chance of recovery. Since then have acquired tools, some knowledge and experience and when buying used set aside some dollars for the expected unexpected. Have repaired vehicles that someone else fixed, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, concrete. As a result have developed too many skills. Experience is a teacher, not all lessons are easily learned.
Then I'll say it

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Sounds like you need to get to wrenching and move on, then.
Why are you so salty? Are you a "suck it up buttercup" type of person? Do you never have emotional reactions to adverse situations? My post's title is "I just have to vent" not "I'm going to whinge and howl about how unfair life is". I did get the parts, I did get it fixed. I lost a day's wage and some knuckle skin but now I know the job is done and done right but at no point was that dilineated as a factor in my distress.

Whatever, I'm going my way, you go yours.

Last Edited:
Volkswagens are made in Mexico. Any questions?..I'd be embarrassed to drive the thing.
I hope this comment is just sarcasm or ignorance. There are several auto manufactures including Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Nissan and yes, VW that have popular Models assembled in Mexico because of lower labor costs combined with a long history of fine craftsmanship and a hard working and dedicated work force. I have owned VW autos continuously albeit not exclusively since the late sixties without any more issues than any other make, everything wears out eventually. The last air cooled VW I owned was a 1971 Super Beetle that I sold about seven or eight years ago. Most of the repair parts for that car were made in Mexico and were easily the quality of any of the German or Brazilian made pieces. On air cooled engines that I personally re-built, I expected and got 100,000+ miles with primarily hecho en Mexico parts. Tom

Most of the repair parts for that car were made in Mexico and were easily the quality of any of the German or Brazilian made pieces.
In the Beetle world the heirarchy of parts quality goes; German, Mexican, then Italian/Brazilian. The Brazil made parts used Italian tooling so they were both of bottom barrel quality. If you can get OG, do so, otherwise Mexican was a good second choice.

Yep. 02 Jetta. The only mechanical things I haven't done are a full engine and transmission rebuild. The driver side axle is very very new, along with the driver side rotor. I'm guessing he replaced it or had it replaced. I've easily put 25k on it this year so the bolts held up for that long at least. When making the deal it was pretty evident that he was more of a driver than mechanically inclined.

The engine and trans mounts are OG and are on my list after replacing the tired turbo.
Whoa!!!! Just ONE brake rotor changed?

I know you laff at some of the things we do over here, and rightly so, but NOBODY replaces just ONE rotor. It's like replacing one windshield wiper blade.

Well this was posted in the "Off topic" section. Pretty obvious what that means. I must be missing the reason for the crap flipping on this one? Got nothing better to do today, haven't had any lovin' for awhile, dog left without saying goodbye? bubblegum! I'll hold off on dealing with not being able to get my tow vehicle to pass this states DEQ and probably end up having to pay a couple hundred dollars, if I'm lucky.

Whoa!!!! Just ONE brake rotor changed?

I know you laff at some of the things we do over here, and rightly so, but NOBODY replaces just ONE rotor. It's like replacing one windshield wiper blade.
I'm thinking the previous owner was either cheap or stupid. I'm leaning towards cheap. It got serviced all around shortly after I bought it, in fact I upgraded to larger rotors and calipers front and rear because I don't like plowing into people's rears while I'm driving.

After hours though...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR