JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought a car this past January. Decided on picking up a diesel commuter car. You know, reliable, sips fuel, comfortable ride, something I can wrench on if I need to. It was replacing my more sporty convertible that was not in any way fuel efficient considering my daily commute is about 70 miles.

Did the normal things; checked the braking system and replaced what was needed, same with the suspension and electrical, as well as hoses and fluids all around. It's been really nice since then with only minor issues discovered and resolved. Just this past Tuesday I noticed a slight clunk when I would turn to the left. Thought that it couldn't be the tie rods or the ball joints or the end links because I replaced those properly my self. Decided to let it develop so I could more readily diagnose the issue. Well, Thursday morning rolls around and it's a clunk every time I accelerate or turn. Just once, not repeating. Get to work, honch the wheel over as far as possible and kneel down next to the driver front tire. Gave the axle a waggle and bingo, there's my clunk. Took off work an hour early to pick up parts and got a pair of front axles since they must both be the factory originals and it's about time to freshen them up.

Get home, car up on ramps and I discover that the driver axle is new, shiny new in fact. Must have been replaced by the guy I bought it from. But the previous owner didn't torque down the bolts enough and all but one had backed out of the flange completely with the final one being loose enough that I removed it by hand.

I consider myself a moral, moderate person, but sure enough I'm thinking about going to the guy and very clearly stating my displeasure at his lack of clarity and how I don't appreciate the fact that an axle swinging around at highway speed could have been the death of the car he sold me.

Bought a car this past January. Decided on picking up a diesel commuter car. You know, reliable, sips fuel, comfortable ride, something I can wrench on if I need to. It was replacing my more sporty convertible that was not in any way fuel efficient considering my daily commute is about 70 miles.

Did the normal things; checked the braking system and replaced what was needed, same with the suspension and electrical, as well as hoses and fluids all around.....

I consider myself a moral, moderate person, but sure enough I'm thinking about going to the guy and very clearly stating my displeasure at his lack of clarity and how I don't appreciate the fact that an axle swinging around at highway speed could have been the death of the car he sold me.
Yea, sucks, but lack clarity on what? For all he knows, he did it correctly. Did you ask for maintenance records did he hide the fact the work was done? If yes, then sure, he hid something, but if you didn't ask, he was not obligated to tell you. It's a used car.

Well sucks. You thankfully caught it in time. As for guy who sold you the vehicle? Who knows. If he did the sloppy work himself he may really not have known it was poorly done. A LOT of people learn just enough about stuff like this to become dangerous. Lot of them "think" they know what they are doing. Guy may have had another person do the work and may not have known it was sloppy. Even if the guy did know he was doing something "questionable" he will never admit it now.
If someone had been hurt you could go after him in civil court but here you would have to show some kind of proof he knew what he was doing. So bottom line? Just be glad you caught it in time.

If the guy unknowingly did sloppy work, then you telling him about it should count as a public service...obviously the dude should not be working on vehicles at this point. And if he got the work done somewhere...he AND you now know who to avoid.

If nothing else, I'd reach out to him for those reasons alone. Glad you avoided any sort of tragedy.

You are a "God" in todays world of "Know Nothing's" about cars or anything mechanical! I used to do that stuff but I no longer have the physical abilities to be going under and all around the vehicles. Still change my own oil and can do a brake job. At least you're able to recognize a noise and check into it. Too many people out there that wouldn't have had a clue!

I'm guessing it is a VW or some VAG. (Volkswagen Auto Group)... Unfortunately, issues like you describe are common, even with properly torqued bolts. Cheap aftermarket parts, or even OEM suppliers reducing costs and quality control certainly doesn't help.

It also sounds like it backed out AFTER many hundreds or thousands of miles later, so not sure how much blame/responsibility can be attributed to the previous owner here. Like with any used car, it is a buyer beware type of deal, sold "as is" etc.

Regarding the cause: other things to check are worn engine/transmission mounts, suspension bushings, shocks/struts, causing extra stress on driveline components. You've mentioned the ball joints and tie rods have been replaced by yourself, so it's likely those other components also need inspection and replacement.

-Robert

Last Edited:
I'm guessing it is a VW or some VAG. (Volkswagen Auto Group)... Unfortunately, issues like you describe are common, even with properly torqued bolts. Cheap aftermarket parts, or even OEM suppliers reducing costs and quality control certainly doesn't help.

It also sounds like it backed out AFTER many hundreds or thousands of miles later, so not sure how much blame/responsibility can be attributed to the previous owner here. Like with any used car, it is a buyer beware type of deal, sold "as is" etc.

Regarding the cause: other things to check are worn engine/transmission mounts, suspension bushings, shocks/struts, causing extra stress on driveline components. You've mentioned the ball joints and tie rods have been replaced by yourself, so it's likely those other components also need inspection and replacement.

-Robert
Yep. 02 Jetta. The only mechanical things I haven't done are a full engine and transmission rebuild. The driver side axle is very very new, along with the driver side rotor. I'm guessing he replaced it or had it replaced. I've easily put 25k on it this year so the bolts held up for that long at least. When making the deal it was pretty evident that he was more of a driver than mechanically inclined.

The engine and trans mounts are OG and are on my list after replacing the tired turbo.

Yep. 02 Jetta. The only mechanical things I haven't done are a full engine and transmission rebuild. The driver side axle is very very new, along with the driver side rotor. I'm guessing he replaced it or had it replaced. I've easily put 25k on it this year so the bolts held up for that long at least. When making the deal it was pretty evident that he was more of a driver than mechanically inclined.

The engine and trans mounts are OG and are on my list after replacing the tired turbo.
19 year old VAG product, and you put 25k on it in 6 months. I'm impressed.

19 year old VAG product, and you put 25k on it in 6 months. I'm impressed.
That Jetta's my new one. I started off with Beetles back in the early 90s, graduated to Rabbits in the early 2ks, and moved up to a Mk3, and now my MK4 Jetta.

Further update on this debacle; the hammering was so bad one of the bolts sheared off.

Did the normal things; checked the braking system and replaced what was needed, same with the suspension and electrical, as well as hoses and fluids all around. It's been really nice since then with only minor issues discovered and resolved. Just this past Tuesday I noticed a slight clunk when I would turn to the left. Thought that it couldn't be the tie rods or the ball joints or the end links because I replaced those properly my self. Decided to let it develop so I could more readily diagnose the issue. Well, Thursday morning rolls around and it's a clunk every time I accelerate or turn. Just once, not repeating. Get to work, honch the wheel over as far as possible and kneel down next to the driver front tire. Gave the axle a waggle and bingo, there's my clunk. Took off work an hour early to pick up parts and got a pair of front axles since they must both be the factory originals and it's about time to freshen them up.

Get home, car up on ramps and I discover that the driver axle is new, shiny new in fact. Must have been replaced by the guy I bought it from. But the previous owner didn't torque down the bolts enough and all but one had backed out of the flange completely with the final one being loose enough that I removed it by hand.

If it was bought as is, you only have yourself to blame for not doing a check up on the vehicle before purchasing. That's on you to do as a buyer.
Due diligence pays off always.

It's a used car. And you got 6 months good use SO FAR. If you did the brakes, or properly inspected, you had every opportunity to check on the axles as well. You should have noticed one was brand new at that point. If I sold a car and someone came back to me HALF A YEAR later to bubblegum and moan, I'd be having none of it. Buy a brand new car if you want a warranty

It's a used car. And you got 6 months good use SO FAR. If you did the brakes, or properly inspected, you had every opportunity to check on the axles as well. You should have noticed one was brand new at that point. If I sold a car and someone came back to me HALF A YEAR later to bubblegum and moan, I'd be having none of it. Buy a brand new car if you want a warranty
Had a situation like that happen w a gun sale. I was very up front about the condition and we stood there in the gun shop and I allowed him to inspect it to his hearts content. A few days later he's hemming and hawing at me through text. Reminded him we never exchanged money until I asked if he was content with the inspection and that it was not appropriate to be doing this. I told him this was his one and only warning to not come looking for trouble. Buyer always wanna blame the seller when the buyer misses something or chooses to ignore information given. No sympathy, and OP you'd be the jerk if you went bothering that person. Don't do it. Liable to get what's coming.

So buy whatever parts you need and fix it. Or take it to a shop. Or don't. Still a used car with no warranty no matter how you spin it.
I think you missed the part in the original post where I said I already got parts. My whole complaint is that I've been un-buggering some things the previous owner did, none of which were overtly damaging to the car. Could be as simple as he forgot, or he just snugged them down, or he didn't own a torque wrench. Regardless, it could have been a very bad day for me if I hadn't caught it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews