JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The time has come and I am finally able to buy a suppressor. Now that I finally can I'm concerned I may regret or be disappointed with the purchase. I've wanted one for ever and done lots of research. I know suppressors aren't like they are in the movies and I'm worried I'll be disappointed in how it preforms. I'm looking into the Silencerco Omega for my 308 bolt gun and 10.5" ar15. I know it's hard to gauge but are suppressors worth it or should I just get another firearm?

Thanks for the input

I agree that they are NOT like the movies however they can be nice (and cool) and serve a purpose. People kept telling me to just purchase something for the 308 caliber and use is on my AR-15. I ignored that advice and already wish that I hadn't. I'm already looking at wanting another one for a 300 blackout that I can load subsonic for more of the "movie' feel. This is going to be expensive as I don't have a 300 blackout and I want to build from the basement up with my next rifle and I want billet, etc., etc. .....

Another thing to consider.... The POI is pretty significant and I'm needing another scope for my suppressor rifle(s) as the scope that I currently have does not have quick turn turrets for adjustments on it and it's a pain to dial back and forth.

It's a significantly expensive hobby I'm finding out. Fortunately I like to work as it keeps me out of trouble and that's a full time job ;)

Suppressors have several side effects... all good.

Noise reduction (DUH!)
Recoil reduction.
Tightens groups.
Grin instigating tendencies.

You won't be disappointed.;)

I have a Sparrow, an Osprey in .45, and a SpecWar556. My next can will be either a SpecWar762 or an Omega. I've been very happy with the Silencerco products. My 20" AR with the SpecWar556 on it is really comfortable to shoot. Very calm at the operator's position. The Osprey handles .45 and 9mm wonderfully, and the Sparrow on the pistol makes less noise that many pellet pistols. My next project will be a .30 cal rifle in some form, and I'm very much looking forward to a .30 cal can that can do double duty on the .556 AR's.

"Worth it" is a pretty relative term.....since I'm a repeat offender, you have my vote.

yeah. "Worth it" is totally subjective. Is it "worth it" to date a super model'? Yes she is a 10, Yes her bits get you all goofy. But is she as dumb as a box of rocks and half as interesting? Is it worth it if she is? Ok maybe that is a bad comparison. :D

I think it also depends on where you are in your dream collection too. When I started buying NFA things I was to a point where I pretty much had everything I wanted from a non NFA standpoint, but open it up to NFA and all of a sudden there is a whole new realm of toys to lust after.

The biggest drawback I've found with suppressors was the lack of threads on some of my existing firearms.
When I ordered my first two suppressors (Sparrow/Osprey) I had plenty of time to get them threaded by Tornado Technologies.
Don't wait for the stamp to show up and then expect to get something threaded in a hurry.

I was given some sound advice from a very good friend of mine, who is also a crack shot with pistols.

When you acquire a firearm that hits everything you point it at without a lot of aiming or squinting, but just by raising it up to eye level and pulling the trigger so that it makes a tin can dance down the road, keep it.
Do not sell that gun because you get bored with it. Those are the ones that you want to hang a can on.
Changing to taller sights so you can see over the suppressor adds another dimension to the costs and performance of your firearm.
You can buy a suppressor for it's sound deadening performance and then look for a suitable gun to hang it on,
or you can adapt the guns you already have and purchase a can that will work well with them.

Tornado has the worst turn around times! I am still waiting for the call to bring in my rifle after being on the "list" since November/December. FYI I have had my stamp and can back since the beginning of April. Fortunately I went elsewhere to have my barrel threaded (took one day and had it back) the week before getting my stamp and can!
Rant over.
You won't regret a suppressor and it won't be your last.:)

As for firearms I have... I definitely don't have all that I want. I have a few of the basics at the moment. Ar15, xdm45, 308 bolt gun a few 22 and couple shot guns. The firearm I was considering is the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 with a sig brace and then SBR it as soon as the stock comes our for it. Either that or a Silencerco Omega. It seems to be the suppressor that would make most sence for me. Using it on both my ar15 sbr and 308 bolt gun. Does that clear anything up?

Thanks again for the advice.

Last Edited:
The Omega is sweet and a great choice for that application. The SpecWar762 is the other in that category, and will save you a C note and change, but it's a bit heavier and bigger. I'd bet performance wise they are about a wash. If it was for a bench gun, the SpecWar762 would be fine, and is the one I'm looking at most closely. If you're going to pack it around, the Omega is probably worth the extra jack.

"You pays yer money and makes yer choices....."

Moral of the story being don't wait for your stamp to get your thread on......:cool:

No moral of the story is don't go with Tornado if you expect to have it treaded before getting your stamp! I got on the list only a month after sending in my paperwork. Going on 8 months now without a call . . . . . . . and has been 3 since receiving stamp and suppressor.

I think this is a rifle problem with Tornado and not a pistol but you know what they say when you bubblegum-U-ME.;)

Well, I had a vastly different experience with them. Hope it works out for the best; their work does have a fantastic reputation in the Beretta (and other) communities. My barrel was absolutely perfect. They also squared away a Silencerco piston that had some out of spec threads, gratis. I'll go back, to be sure.

As they say, one man's opinion......

You also have to consider thread pitch when buying the suppressors Nielson Devise barrel adapters.
European firearms normally come from the factory with left handed threads.
I have an vintage HK P9S 9mm pistol and I had Tornado cut the barrel threads RH to work with the free barrel adapter that Curt's Discount Firearms gives you when you buy a can from them.
The P9S has a fixed barrel, so you have to remove the Nielson Devise spring and replace it with a fixed spacer collar.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top