JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use mine for deer, elk and coyote hunting and love it. It does add quite a bit of weight to the front end and doesn't make it fun to haul around in the woods, but its nice to have it if I want to shoot with it.

In certain countries overseas it is impolite to shoot a rifle without a suppressor. I have a 22 caliber screw on suppressor that work on my pistols and rifles as well. I also have a 45 suppressed rifle as well. They are a lot of fun. I can hardly wait for the safe hearing act to get passed

I have 3 suppressors; a .22 rated to 5.7x28, a 30 cal rated to 300 win mag, and a .45 pistol unit.

I have no use for the .45 pistol one, it was on sale, an impulse buy. I just don't enjoy shooting handguns with a weight hanging off the end.

The 30 cal I would use if I were to hunt big game. It does change POI slightly but not something I couldn't adjust the scope for. If I ever go hog hunting I'll use it for that, 'course I've been going hog hunting next year since Noah pulled the Arc into dry dock :rolleyes:

The .22 can is the only one I really enjoy, from 10/22 to S&W Victory to AR57 it's a hoot. I bought this one first, shoulda stopped right there.

The paperwork and tax stamp is made out to sound harder than it really is.

Indeed. When compared to completing a 4473, sure, it is more involved. But not much more. And when compared to filing your Federal and State income taxes, buying a home, setting up a UTMA for your kid, buying a car, some types of business filings, etc., it is really nothing.

I have them & only use subsonic ammo. You can only hear the hammer fall no more. You can make your own on a form 1 & avoid the $50 transfer fee. I bought my 1st 22 one for $170. I bought a multi caliber up to 300 mag for under $300 so I'll have $550 total with the quick mount. It's funny that in countries it almost impossible to own a firearm suppressors are sold at the hardware store as hearing protection just like it is & considered rude to shoot at a range without one.

Never had the desire to own one, but they seem to be all the rage now with the gun crowd. Even Hi-Point has got into the action.

Reasons I don't want one:

1. They are expensive.
2. They are not nearly as quiet as you see on TV and ear protection is often still needed.
3. They ruin the balance of most guns. I shoot to get familiar with my firearms for self-defense, and since I won't be carrying a silenced pistol around, practicing with one at the range is pointless.

So, I'm not in any way casting aspersions on anyone that has one, or six. I just don't understand the point of them.

Is there an actual practical use for them, or is it just a cool factor?

I have lots of impractical and cool toys, so I get that aspect of it. Just wondering if I'm missing something?
It's the "Cool" factor...

In certain countries overseas it is impolite to shoot a rifle without a suppressor.

Nailed it.

After a few years in the USMC I am almost deaf in my right ear (I wore hearing protection as much as possible...but it isn't possible all the time)

The appeal of suppressors, to me, is being a polite neighbor.

I prefer shooting alone in the backwoods. When I'm shooting I want to minimize the chance of disturbing other people.

There are times when I'm hiking through the hills to enjoying a little quiet and gun shots really take me out of the element.

I don't have a suppressor but I've been considering it for a few years. I'd like to be a good neighbor, and spare myself any more hearing loss.

Whether shooting suppressed or un-suppressed be considerate, be kind, and most of all be safe.

Happy Shooting.

In certain countries overseas it is impolite to shoot a rifle without a suppressor. I have a 22 caliber screw on suppressor that work on my pistols and rifles as well. I also have a 45 suppressed rifle as well. They are a lot of fun. I can hardly wait for the safe hearing act to get passed
Don't hold your breath for that to pass. The house and Senate had that bill tabled, but after the Fla. school shootings, I'm pretty sure they round filled it.

My Ruger .22 suppressor is used on 2 Ruger pistols and 6 various rifles. Accuracy is not affected. The point of impact can change, on the order of ½ inch at 50 yards. CCI Sub-sonic hollow-points are near CCI Green Tag accuracy. CCI Standard Velocity has a speed spread that allows some supersonic shots even at 4000 feet altitude (estimated 10 to 50%).

Thoughts:
Keep the suppressor snugly installed (most accuracy problems are a loose unit).
Sub-sonic shots are loud snaps, not cracks, in bolts and semi-autos, especially pistols.
Blow back fouling in semi-autos is not a problem.
High velocity ammo cracks as though there is no suppressor.
The bullet impacts and ricochets offer ear-opening amazement.
Stainless steel baffles are best for the ease of chemically cleaning.
Balance is not an issue.
Get one and get smiling.

Never had the desire to own one, but they seem to be all the rage now with the gun crowd.
I guess this would depend on the particular 'gun crowd'
I certainly understand the appeal for some but hardly anything I have ever considered.
I have grown up shooting outdoors in the National Forest and have never felt the need for one.
I often shoot alone, do wear hearing protection, and because I don't run into too many people where I usually go (very close to home) and am often the only one shooting in the area. If there are more people shooting they are usually spread out and shots are muffled by the woods environment.
At the end of my road starts BLM land and a neighbor who backs up to it shoots occasionally and while I hear the shots they are not sharp or annoying - again mostly an accepted condition of living rural.
I've shot a long time without one and don't ever really see a need.

If you don't like them why post it, just live & let live. I don't like 58 cal roundball flint locks but I don't post it cause why stir things up?

I cannot understand why you have a feeling so strong, one way or another, about a type of gun. All guns are guns, like all cars are cars, and all wimmin are wimmin.

Just that some are more liked than others.

Just a reminder that that gun you don't like? That '58 cal roundball flint lock'?

It really doesn't care.

If you don't like them why post it, just live & let live. I don't like 58 cal roundball flint locks but I don't post it cause why stir things up?

Maybe because I wanted to learn more about something I didn't understand and to foster a conversation regarding the pros and cons of silencers?

So far, it's been very enlightening and interesting. I've learned a lot and appreciate the proponents of them being gracious and informative.

I have 3 suppressors; a .22 rated to 5.7x28, a 30 cal rated to 300 win mag, and a .45 pistol unit.

I have no use for the .45 pistol one, it was on sale, an impulse buy. I just don't enjoy shooting handguns with a weight hanging off the end.

The 30 cal I would use if I were to hunt big game. It does change POI slightly but not something I couldn't adjust the scope for. If I ever go hog hunting I'll use it for that, 'course I've been going hog hunting next year since Noah pulled the Arc into dry dock :rolleyes:

The .22 can is the only one I really enjoy, from 10/22 to S&W Victory to AR57 it's a hoot. I bought this one first, shoulda stopped right there.

Sounds like you have been in my safe :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top