JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you take an early (pre safety) Marlin 1894 in 357, great condition, and thread it. Now you've ruined it. You killed any value in the gun, and fewer people will want it. It has no collector value, little shooter value, and all to become a fad/novelty. Same with a pre 64 Winchester model 70, Kimber Super America, Browning 1886, Winchester 9422, etc. They are the owners guns to do whatever they want with, but yes, it does ruin the gun to thread it.
Maybe. Maybe not. A threaded Marlin would likely be an easy sell to a person with a suppressor. Would the collector see it that way, probably not, would the guy who is looking for a unique suppressor host? Likely would see it as an increased value.

All thefireams I've had cut and threaded that I've sold. I have not lost money When selling.

I bought a lightly used Chiappa .357 Magnum and I'm having Velzey cut the barrel down to 17" and turn the octagon barrel into a custom half round threaded barrel. The whole project will cost less then buying a vintage Winchester 1892 rifle.

Easy sell? Maybe, but at a very reduced value. That Marlin just went from a 1K-1200 gun to a $600 gun. Buy a Rossi is the advice I give customers looking to jump on the bandwagon.

So you take an early (pre safety) Marlin 1894 in 357, great condition, and thread it. Now you've ruined it. You killed any value in the gun, and fewer people will want it. It has no collector value, little shooter value, and all to become a fad/novelty. Same with a pre 64 Winchester model 70, Kimber Super America, Browning 1886, Winchester 9422, etc. They are the owners guns to do whatever they want with, but yes, it does ruin the gun to thread it.

By "ruin" I thought mechanically speaking, not historical ones. Though quite wacky, I never threaded a vintage arm, and likely wouldn't. I did thread many modern pieces, of all action types. If viewed as a fad or not, I don't care; I'm just having fun. To each their own.

No way, these are all sincere threads made by a staunch pro-2A supporter. To those of you that own cans, I feel like I should be able to borrow them whenever I want for free.

Ever down this way, we'll burn'em up until they smoke, amigo.

A) taming the noise of a 5.56 when training. Firing 100s of rounds, the noise adds up, even with ear pro. It makes the ring of steel much more noticable.

B) saving my poor dogs or future child's hearing if I ever have to use my gun for home defense. I have heard the idea of "sound occlusion" but that doesn't apply to bystanders, also, we have seen stories of deaf homeowners being shot by police after a HD situaution. I would like to avoid that.

Last Edited:
I also don't find them too interesting given the hassle and costs of paperwork. If they were over the counter items at reasonable prices I'd own several. But not at the current costs and hassle.

Earpro costs as little as $1 (foam earplugs) or a few dollars for cheap earmuffs, or maybe $50 or $100 if you splurge on high end electronics. Those work for every gun.

Cans cost a lot of money for the paperwork, and are gun/caliber specific. And unless you're shooting alone you still need earpro, say at the range.

Shooting suppressed greatly enhances my enjoyment of the sport.
Most people who own/use suppressors don't want to shoot un-suppressed any longer than is absolutely necessary.

The tri-fecta of side effects of suppressors are:
Quieter report (Duh!)
Reduced recoil/muzzle flash.
Increased accuracy.

All good things.

But I understand if you don't "get it" and you think it is expensive and time consuming, because it is.

It is something that can't be explained only experienced I guess.

For me, my suppressors are worth every cent I paid for them. ATF/FBI could (and should) do something to speed up the approval time, to me this is the most "expensive" investment portion of the process, the time.... All that precious time wasted that I could have been shooting my suppressor.....:)

I was in the "I don't get it" side.
Then I spent the last 2-3 years waiting for the ones I bought.
This furthered the "I don't get it" feeling.
Then I got the 22 silencer.
I've been converted.
They aren't for everyone, but everyone secretly wants one.
If the NFA went away, I'd put money on every hater owning one or more.

Shooting yours made me a convert. Just haven't invested the time in getting one.

Nothing like the joy of shooting my Rossi lever action .357/.38 with NO ear pro subsonics in 'da woods. Sounds like a nail gun. Once you suppress, you don't want to go back.

An integrally suppressed 10mm carbine would be an absolute hoot to have ;) :p I know of an affordable candidate but it'd end up being 3-4x the cost :rolleyes: (a suppressed 10mm Hi Point in a Bullpup stock.....)
EDIT. Apparently someone is running a 1095ts suppressed; although not in a bullpup stock... it looks.. ridiculously long.

Because the vermin has no clue what happened to their friend beside them that dropped dead and twitched a little.

I load subsonic too for mine and I shoot a lot of sub .22, 9mm, some Sub 308, .300BLK.

I'm a gray man. I prefer to be unseen and unknown.

By "ruin" I thought mechanically speaking, not historical ones. Though quite wacky, I never threaded a vintage arm. I did thread many modern pieces, of all action types. Fad ... whatever, I'm having fun. And since I own them, and will until I pass, I couldn't care less.

Ever down this way, we'll burn'em up until they smoke, amigo.

SO, I wonder about the Value of my Factory threaded Pre 64 Winchester sold in South Africa in the 50's that was brought to the states and used for many many years! Is this rifle less valuable because Winchester was forward thinking enough to offer factory threading to hunters not encumbered by our archaic NFA laws! I say it's worth even more then a U.S. only rifle of the same era BECAUSE it was factory modified! I don't buy the "Ruined it" argument on Rifles built after Hiram Maxim invented the first Suppressors, and any rifle could be ordered threaded or done by a smith later on as needed until the NFA came along and ruined all the fun!:eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top