JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd rather be around folks with a muffler on the end of the barrel than someone with a brake.

It's amazing to me that brakes, a device that can permanently damage hearing with a single shot, are legal. But a can is not legal. Seen an ad recently from an arms instructor who will not allow brakes at their courses. Claims that even with good ear protection, damage can occur from them.

I have never owned a suppressor, only been around a few. While they are ugly in my eyes, they have utility.

I noticed a while back Amazon selling these. I was looking for a 1/2 x28 tap. Wanted to make thread protector in a size I was having trouble finding. All this stuff started to pop up as "you may also want". Took me a few to figure out what the hell it was all about then I had a good laugh. No doubt many are playing with this stuff but damn that is a very dangerous little game to play.

I noticed a while back Amazon selling these. I was looking for a 1/2 x28 tap. Wanted to make thread protector in a size I was having trouble finding. All this stuff started to pop up as "you may also want". Took me a few to figure out what the hell it was all about then I had a good laugh. No doubt many are playing with this stuff but damn that is a very dangerous little game to play.
Those are for Hi-Point Owners!:p:D

Those are for Hi-Point Owners!:p:D

tenor.gif

I "played around " with a few suppressed rifles while in the Army...I enjoyed them and when needed appreciated what they did.
I can also see their use in hunting...no loud shot , spooking all the game in a given area.
Using one for home defense might be nice...my experiences of having to shoot a firearm , inside of a house , are a very loud ones...A not so loud shot , would be helpful .

Also there is the I just want one factor....at one time you could mail order a 1903 Springfield and a Maxim "Silencer" for the Springfield ...all from the same magazine...The American Rifleman...
The "want factor" ...Just why do I need to justify what I buy...?

What I don't get about suppressors ..is why I have to go through all the red tape , hoops and expensive of having to own one...
Andy

I'd rather be around folks with a muffler on the end of the barrel than someone with a brake.

It's amazing to me that brakes, a device that can permanently damage hearing with a single shot, are legal. But a can is not legal. Seen an ad recently from an arms instructor who will not allow brakes at their courses. Claims that even with good ear protection, damage can occur from them.

I have never owned a suppressor, only been around a few. While they are ugly in my eyes, they have utility.
This pisses me off when show-off homegrown multicam "commandos" ruin my range day with muzzle brakes.
Seriously, WTF!

The same people who want them regulated are the same people who watch suppressed revolvers on Magnum PI. There was a movie where the bad guy sniper was on a high parking lot structure and the good guy FBI was on the street with a pistol. Guess who won?

I understand these have been regulated and banned for decades but we are told, society evolves. Hmm. That is an opinion.

I see the appeal as more of a "forbidden fruit" thing. Like most things under the NFA. Make it all legal and it'll be just another "meh" thing in a decade or so. Or maybe not. Just one man's opinion among billions.

If you value your hearing, I don't see how you don't get suppressors. I've always worn hearing protection for the most part, but the cumulative effect of loud noises, primarily gun shots, have left my ears ringing. Had suppressors been reasonably priced I would have always used them, and ideally not had ringing in my ears now. Dumb a$$ government.

Something I understand the function of but don't get why you would use one is a muzzle brake. WHAT? I said a muzzle brake.

add to my last post, in a self defense home invasion, you wont be deaf and disoriented after shooting someone in your home...or blinded by the flash.

just sayin. like'm or not thats fine. i prefer suppressors, personally.

I can think of no finer HD weapon than a suppressed SBR for the reasons mentioned and more. Not getting it doesn't make them any less legit.

One reoccurring theme, in this thread and others, is the barrier presented by the paperwork aspect. While it is true there is more to it than, say, buying a hunting rifle at Wally World and completing a 4473, it isn't much more. If you've ever filed a Federal income tax return, congratulations, you've completed way more paperwork than an NFA transfer will ever involve. It just isn't that difficult.

• Complete a Form 4.
  • Obtain a passport-type photo. (Walgreens will do these for less than $10.)
  • Complete a fingerprint card. They can be requested for free on the ATF site and you can roll your own. (I did just that when adding my wife to our FFL and it worked fine.)
  • Cut a check or money order for $200 or $5, depending on the item. Or just put your credit card information on the form.
  • Put it altogether and mail it in to the ATF office in Portland.
  • Mail a copy to your CLEO. He/she no longer has to sign off on it, just receive a copy.
  • Wait.
  • Done.
Silencer Shop has kiosks that electronically automates the aforementioned, making it even easier. I one wants a can, don't let the bureaucratic aspect turn you away. It just isn't that big of a deal. :)

Country Gent,

Thank you.

Wonderful info.

I've been lazy about completing the necessary steps...lazy me.

I've shot suppressed and found it delightful.

As it is, I'm sure the blast of my unsuppressed AR's cause many to cringe, but with them suppressed, from my fellow range shooters, I'll get an appreciative 'thumbs up attaboy' I'm sure,.

The money it costs, pish posh, hell my annual ammo costs far exceed the cost of a suppressor plus the associated costs like threaded barrels...some spend money on golf or hair transplants or loose women, me, why on gun stuff of course.

Back when I smoked, fine, hand rolled cigars the motto was "life's too short to smoke cheap cigars" similar philosophy regarding guns.

If you're gun a person, such small beer won't stop you, but dealing with the from my the suppressor required paper work exercise in bureaucracy seemed too big a pain in the posterior.

Seeing the above primer, hey, it's not so much...suppressors here I come!

The British Army, in common with most every other military organisation except the Chair Farce, never issued hearing protection to ANY troops.

After 33 years of bangs, large and small, KA-booms, jet-noise, prop-noise, rotor-blade noise and sundry other stuff, I have less than 25% hearing in my left ear, and <30% in my right, which was protected [hah] by having my head against something hard and unyielding. The batteries in my hearing aids would start a D8 on a cold and frosty morning-O.

tac,

We have that in common.

I have hearing aids prescribed for both ears and tinnitus for the very same reasons, but I gave up on the hearing aids about 6/8 months of wearing them.

I found them annoying from a number of perspectives and frankly disgusting.

I'm pretty good at reading lips or pretending I understood what was said, though that backfires sometimes...

tac,

We have that in common.

I have hearing aids prescribed for both ears and tinnitus for the very same reasons, but I gave up on the hearing aids about 6/8 months of wearing them.

I found them annoying from a number of perspectives and frankly disgusting.

I'm pretty good at reading lips or pretending I understood what was said, though that backfires sometimes...

Pretty much the same here! I have yet to find a good fitting hearing aid that didnt sound like some one talking through a tube! And having something inside my ear just feels wrong!:(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top