JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ruger is killing the market.

RPRs in 300win and 338lm.

Cool!

If only I really really needed something that big.

rprla.png

Dream rifle calibre for me, even at $4.98 a shot for factory.... Back in 1996 I had a few shots with an AI at the School of Infantry, Warminster yUK. It was raining, I was cold and wet, and the target was an old Land-Rover with two figures in it. It was, I recall, right on 1560m up a windswept hillside. Oh, did I mention it was -4C?

Trying to keep from waving all over the place, I rested the rifle butt on a couple of packs of MREs [about all they are good for TBH] and let'er rip. My shot went through the windshield, then the driver, then the dummy behind him. A fluke, of course. I wasn't prepared to take another shot an prove it though......

We can shoot downloaded versions on our 100m range, provided that they don't beat the restriction figures, but loading even wimp loads still consumes a norful lot of powder.

Remember that CoH Craig Harrison nailed a Taliban MG team, and their gun, in 'stan back in 2009, with what was then a world record shoot for ANY sniping rifle of 2,707 yd. It has been beaten now, I'm told, a couple of times, latterly by a Canadian, but HE was shooting a 50cal. CoH Harrison's shoot, IMO, will prolly stand forever with the .338LM.

I've had the opportunity to fire a LM. It is simply as much fun as a 50. Big bullet, big cartridge, lots of energy. Very capable cartridge.

Just no need for it.

I like to live vicariously through those that need it more than I do.

The Ruger RPR in this caliber is a very awesome combination however.

Kudos to ruger for continuing to produce awesome firearms.

Dream rifle calibre for me, even at $4.98 a shot for factory.... Back in 1996 I had a few shots with an AI at the School of Infantry, Warminster yUK. It was raining, I was cold and wet, and the target was an old Land-Rover with two figures in it. It was, I recall, right on 1560m up a windswept hillside. Oh, did I mention it was -4C?

Since we are dreaming, a dream rifle for me is an AI AX-MC .338LM w/ an extra .300WM barrel.

I played around with lots of different cartridges for long range. Then I discovered the 338 Lapua. Why did I waste so much time and money on all the others.
I'm not sure why anyone would buy factory Ammo for this thing. You need to work a load up and Taylor it to the rifle. I've seen it priced upwards of $170-$200 per 20 rounds. Totally worth getting into reload if it's even just for one cartridge.
Brass is about $2 ea. But I have some Lapua and Hornady brass I have reloaded 18 times now. It's a well designed case that lasts a long time.

The Ruger Presison needs just a little work to make it actually a precision rifle. but I'm going to give one a try. :)

I've had the opportunity to fire a LM. It is simply as much fun as a 50. Big bullet, big cartridge, lots of energy. Very capable cartridge.
Just no need for it.
I like to live vicariously through those that need it more than I do.
The Ruger RPR in this caliber is a very awesome combination however.
Kudos to ruger for continuing to produce awesome firearms.
Next time we go shooting @Reno911, I'll make sure to bring my 338 Edge, nicknamed the "Poor Man's 338 Lapua".
Owned and shot a Savage 110BA. After buying 1 box of ammo at $80, I started reloading. Still have ~300 pcs of brass for it. The Savage was extremely particular about pressure, where the best I could get out of a 300gr OTM was 2700FPS.
With the edge, it's 10lbs lighter, same kick, uses same amount of powder, but I get ~2900 FPS MV out of the same bullet. AND, it's built on a Savage action. Go figure. Savage extractors suck.
My favorite load for the 338LM was Hornady SP 225gr on top of ~93gr H870. Cheap, accurate, fun.
Edit to add: hopefully Ruger will be thoughtful and build the 338LM RPR with an extended box magazine so you can load the Berger OTM and Elite Hunters to proper length, which then won't fit in a standard 338LM magazine.