JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
training is required for purchase after july 1. required to be re-certified every 5 years or DOL will notify local LE that youre in illegal possession of a rifle. the state has no database or system to make that happen.

"The purchaser provides proof that he or she has completed a recognized firearm safety training program within the last five years ..."

Sorry, but I didn't get the reference. As I understand it, the training is for purchasing a SBR and its good for five years similar to a CPL. I don't see anywhere in the text where DOL will notify the local LE if you don't re-certify. For example, if you want to buy another SBR seven years in the future after the five years expired, you would have to take the class again.

This doesn't mean the DOL or LE won't check your medical records every year looking for flags but once purchased, the gun is yours without having to re-certify.

And tell all those 'nomads'' they have a new injection site on the steps of the capitol in Olympia (and free food and place to pitch their tents on the lawn).

As I understand it, the training is for purchasing a SBR and its good for five years similar to a CPL. I don't see anywhere in the text where DOL will notify the local LE if you don't re-certify. For example, if you want to buy another SBR seven years in the future after the five years expired, you would have to take the class again.

The training is for the purchase of a semi-auto rifle. It has nothing to do with an SBR, which is a a Title II firearm whether it's semi-auto or not.

From my understanding, it's not going to act like a CPL. You still have to go through the anal probes. The new training certificate simply gives you the states permission to buy a semi-auto rifle. It provides no other benefits. It's valid for 5 years. When that 5 years is up, you do the training again and get a new certificate.

SBR = Sporting Black Rifles in this case. Sorry for the confusion.

Its a requirement to purchase a semi-automatic rifle. Sporting Systems seems to imply if I don't get re-certification then the rifle in questions suddenly becomes illegal. If I do take and pass a class and purchase a semi-automatic rifle, and never purchase another through my lifetime, I would still be required to re-certify every five years in order to keep it.

SBR = Sporting Black Rifles in this case. Sorry for the confusion.

Its a requirement to purchase a semi-automatic rifle. Sporting Systems seems to imply if I don't get re-certification then the rifle in questions suddenly becomes illegal. If I do take and pass a class and purchase a semi-automatic rifle, and never purchase another through my lifetime, I would still be required to re-certify every five years in order to keep it.

There is no requirement that your training stay up to date in order to maintain possession in I-1639. The training must be within the last 5 years and meet their curriculum requirements to purchase a rifle not maintain ownership.

However, it would be a minor change to existing law in the future to require your training not expire (and thus add additional burden to lawfully exercise your 2nd amendment rights).

However, it would be a minor change to existing law in the future to require your training not expire (and thus add additional burden to lawfully exercise your 2nd amendment rights).
And JUST the kind of cutesyland stunt our overlords from Seattle would try to pull on us... Would that our GOP had the balls to do things like Oregon's walking out to deny legislative quorum and similar.

But no one is talking about taking your guns away.

It's in the law...see below.

Department of licensing—Eligibility to possess firearms. (Effective July 1, 2019.)
(1) Within twelve months of July 1, 2019, the department of licensing shall, in conjunction with the Washington state patrol and other state and local law enforcement agencies as necessary, develop a cost-effective and efficient process to:
(a) Verify, on an annual or more frequent basis, that persons who acquired pistols or semiautomatic assault rifles pursuant to this chapter remain eligible to possess a firearm under state and federal law; and
(b) If such persons are determined to be ineligible for any reason, (i) notify and provide the relevant information to the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides and (ii) take steps to ensure such persons are not illegally in possession of firearms.

(2) The department of licensing, where appropriate, may consult with individuals from the public and private sector or ask the individuals to establish a temporary advisory committee to accomplish the purposes in subsection (1) of this section. Members of such an advisory committee are not entitled to expense reimbursement.

Department of licensing—Eligibility to possess firearms. (Effective July 1, 2019.)
(1) Within twelve months of July 1, 2019, the department of licensing shall, in conjunction with the Washington state patrol and other state and local law enforcement agencies as necessary, develop a cost-effective and efficient process to:
(a) Verify, on an annual or more frequent basis, that persons who acquired pistols or semiautomatic assault rifles pursuant to this chapter remain eligible to possess a firearm under state and federal law; and
(b) If such persons are determined to be ineligible for any reason, (i) notify and provide the relevant information to the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides and (ii) take steps to ensure such persons are not illegally in possession of firearms.

(2) The department of licensing, where appropriate, may consult with individuals from the public and private sector or ask the individuals to establish a temporary advisory committee to accomplish the purposes in subsection (1) of this section. Members of such an advisory committee are not entitled to expense reimbursement.

I was being facetious, note the post right above yours.

The training certification is a requirement for transfer, but not possession.

The "verification" is the mental health check or otherwise prohibited person check (committed a crime since purchase etc).

It would be a trivial change for them to update the law make the training cert a requirement of possession though, one reason I have no interest in purchasing a semi-auto rifle after the law goes into effect.

Westcoast armory north... done !
$25 & 1.5hours of training

85014DCA-D6E5-4A75-A34A-5AC8E706ACEC.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads