JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at getting a new hydration pack as mine has leaked from the valve after only a few uses and i am tired of having a wet spot on my shirt and leg. What brands do you like or dislike(so I know to avoid them). What features are good to have or just a gimmick?

I've only had camelpak products, never had any issues with any of their bladders.

I also own a couple of these, not really a bladder, but I really enjoy the fact I can pressurize them in the case I need that. They work with lots of different bottles out there. I keep one in each the cars, figure if something bad happens I could find a bottle easily to work with it. Jetflow is the maker.

101_2042.jpg

That's a cool gadget. Why does it have 2 hoses? I meant bladder not pack, but am looking at getting a new pack too as the one I have is pretty small.

That's a cool gadget. Why does it have 2 hoses? I meant bladder not pack, but am looking at getting a new pack too as the one I have is pretty small.

The second is to blow into, so you can pressurize the bottle.

Camelpak sells bladders without the backpack.

Mrs. Teflon and I have jokingly referred to the one we've owned for years as the "Cameltoe." We recently decided we need another, and I distinguished myself at not just one, but two local sporting good stores when I asked where they keep them. Oops!

By the way, REI in Hillsboro/Beaverton is no longer selling Camelbak products, opting instead to carry Osprey. They seem very similar to Camelbak and even more expensive - but that's typical for REI.

Two things I looked for in selecting our second pack (another "Cameltoe" via Amazon) were PVC/BPA-free materials, and that ergonomic S-shaped contour in the shoulder straps. Very comfy on Camelbak packs - and not at all on my old Jansport with heavy water bottles rolling around inside.

Read lots of info online about cleaning them out with a little bleach or vinegar to remove any musty flavor. Someone also suggested foregoing the expensive Camelbak brand cleaners and just using common denture cleaning tabs. Haven't done that yet, but I picked some up cheap.

I've always been an oddball in regards to hydration packs. Well, ok, in a lot more ways than just that... But...

I generally dislike hydration packs. To my way of thinking they offer an easy way to skip proper hydration prior to whatever physical event is in store. I've always preferred water bottles or some sort of canteen.

That being said, hydration packs do work very well and have their place, mainly in static positions like some sort of hidden observation hide.

My only experience with hydration packs has been with CamelBack. Never had any problems, functioned well.

Now that I've stored the thread up into an unintended direction...

I generally dislike hydration packs. To my way of thinking they offer an easy way to skip proper hydration prior to whatever physical event is in store...

True dat. Saturating with water before that 5-15 mile hike is actually more important than lugging water to replace lost sweat. I like to do both. And while warm water is fine in a pinch, plenty of ice cubes in the bag with water as I leave the house will usually keep it refreshingly cold for the drive and the stroll.

The packs themselves (Camelbak Cloudwalker and Cloudwalker 18) have more than enough easy access pockets for sunscreen, DEET and first aid/band-aids for blisters. And cold space for crackers, power bars, sliced cheese & ham, cherry tomatoes and a can of pinot noir.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top